talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David de Gea Leaves Manchester United

Sad ending to what I felt was a good career with United.   Great shot blocker, saved our butts a few times.  Unfortunately with the modern game having keepers play with their feet, de Gea was a bit of a liability.  Wish him well wherever he ends up.

I'm going to be totally brutal here, I've never known a keeper make so many high profile blunders and yet still hold such high regard.

He's literally thrown so many big games away for us over the last five years. No doubt he was incredible for the five before that but some of the errors have not only cost us games but also opportunities to win trophies.

So long and good luck with the rest of your career David. 

• Subscriber

You did us well David but I am afraid to say if Fergie was still in charge you would have been gone 3 years ago and another keeper bedded into the team.

Keepers nowadays play with their feet too and that's something you just could not handle, but when you have pricks like Maguire at the back and supposed to be a Captain and help you out then I can forgive you a wee bit, that guy couldn't master playing with his feet or head in a million years, I just hope Maguire and Martial to name a couple are next on the chopping block.

Ending on a sad note you are the last player in the team that played under Fergie, now United starts again under ET Hag.

7 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

it ended on a bit of a pisser, rather disrespectful to a long servent.   but we are talking about a glazer run club

18 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think the way he exited without a proper goodbye was shit from Utd. If they did rescind the offer after he accepted it then that’s terrible behaviour. 

Hang fire, this guy was leaving for Madrid 5 years ago and only ended up staying when we gave him the biggest contract in world football for a goalkeeper.

He's had all season to sign a new deal on reduced terms that reflect his current form. He then decides to have an absolute nightmare away to Seville and then let's a pea roller go under him at West Ham. If you add that to his Brentford away disaster and his shite attempt at saving a tame Gundogan shot in the FA Cup final I think the club were correct in having a rethink.

Honestly, rival fans make me piss my side. They've been saying he's shit for years now but when he leaves us we've treated him badly. 

He's refused lesser terms that reflect his current ability, the club have done zero wrong.

He can be shite & have been treated badly, they aren’t exclusive. 

I think Adrian is absolutely diabolical as a keeper, but if the club offered him a contract only to rescind it after he accepted terms, I would be calling that out as shit behaviour as well. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Rick said:

He can be shite & have been treated badly, they aren’t exclusive. 

I think Adrian is absolutely diabolical as a keeper, but if the club offered him a contract only to rescind it after he accepted terms, I would be calling that out as shit behaviour as well. 

On the other hand the manager should be able to have a change of heart as well. It became clear he couldn't trust him towards the end of the season. 

Maybe De Gea should signed the deal earlier then?

Reality is we've made mistake after mistake contract wise for the last ten years, this was the correct decision all round for everyone. He will regret not signing earlier as well, I bet he was still going to earn more money than he will get anywhere aside from Saudi.

Would he have stayed as number one if he had accepted the much lower wage offer? Because if that is the intention, then can you blame him for not rushing to renew? If he is staying first choice he’s hardly gonna accept a 50% wage cut is he. 

This is all ifs and buts though I supposed. 

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, Devil said:

On the other hand the manager should be able to have a change of heart as well. It became clear he couldn't trust him towards the end of the season. 

Maybe De Gea should signed the deal earlier then?

Reality is we've made mistake after mistake contract wise for the last ten years, this was the correct decision all round for everyone. He will regret not signing earlier as well, I bet he was still going to earn more money than he will get anywhere aside from Saudi.

I think it's the principle and morals that come into play. It is quite rare for a contract to be accepted on both parts only for the club to retract it. Even if De Gea had had his mares, the contract thing happened after some of them, right? 

It's not professional from the club on their part. But they've just wiped off nearly £375k-400k/w off their wage bill which they can adequately re-invest into the squad. 

20 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Onana. :ph34r:

Not seen much of him to comment but what I have he looks more competent on the ball than De Gea.

That's going to suit ETH system better. 

We may go through a few keepers before we settled, that's how it generally works out.

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

Not seen much of him to comment but what I have he looks more competent on the ball than De Gea.

That's going to suit ETH system better. 

We may go through a few keepers before we settled, that's how it generally works out.

He's definitely better on the ball but he's known to mess up on the basics at times.

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

He's definitely better on the ball but he's known to mess up on the basics at times.

To be honest, Ramsdale wasn't exactly red hot when you signed him and look how he turned out.

It does push man united into prioritising a goal keeper now and Inter want nothing under 60m Euros for Onana.   I don't mind this as it has opened up an avenue for us to approach Disasi.   It is accepted that Man United's transfer budget is around 120m excl sales and Onana and Mount will pretty much dry it up.   Clubs also know that man United are trying to sell players to raise money but none of the names are really priority signings and teams can wait until deep into the window before moving for them leaving United with another rush against time. 

It is certainly the most trying of times for the fans,  it will take 2-3 years of structured movement to get them anywhere near back to contenders,  that means trusting Ten Haag and certainly getting someone a lot better than Murtagh to run the football operations. 

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

they tend to work it out based off FFP.  

If new owners ever get here and pay off the debt it adds another 60 m or so.  With player sales or using some players to bring the transfer cost down we should be OK.  

2 hours ago, Devil said:

To be honest, Ramsdale wasn't exactly red hot when you signed him and look how he turned out.

But it's the opposite situation. There was no hype around Ramsdale because he was only at small clubs whereas there's a lot of hype around Onana.

Not saying he's a bad keeper but you can't criticise De Gea for making big mistakes when Onana is similar.

11 hours ago, 6666 said:

But it's the opposite situation. There was no hype around Ramsdale because he was only at small clubs whereas there's a lot of hype around Onana.

Not saying he's a bad keeper but you can't criticise De Gea for making big mistakes when Onana is similar.

I can do whatever I want mate, he was terrible the first two seasons he was at United, people tend to forget that. He then had five amazing years which resulted in Real Madrid making a move and him getting that stupid contract. 

The last five years have been a mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous. He's lost us so many key games with horrific errors.

So yeah I'm more then entitled to have my own opinion on him. I think he's been the most overrated keeper, rooted to his line on crosses, weak coming out to feet and capable of the most incredible errors I've ever seen from a keeper. He had 2 or 3 Tiabi style errors every season.

The only reason he remained number 1 for so long was the contract of near 400k a week.

5 hours ago, Devil said:

The last five years have been a mixture of the sublime and the ridiculous. He's lost us so many key games with horrific errors.

By the same token, in those sublime matches he won points for United that I don't think they'd have won with a more shit shot stopper in those 5 years. Especially in that Solksjaer & Mourinho era when your performances were pretty far from convincing. And honestly most keeper errors, especially at big clubs, end up looking like absolute horror shows.

He's a good keeper, he's just not a very well-rounded keeper for modern football - which I think makes him unsuited to Ten Hag's style of football.

I think it's only a bit sad for De Gea that he doesn't get a real proper goodbye for the fans. He's a long time servant of the club, he's put in far more good performances than bad performances - just because he was part of the end of the Fergie era and was a mainstay in this era of United finding their feet after the departure of Sir Baconface. But I also don't think United didn't anything wrong in particular by rescinding the offer - he'd been given plenty of time to think about it, they've got a season to prepare for... it's not good preparation for a season to know whether you're going to be sticking with the old veteran you've offered a contract to or if you need to go sign a new player.

It's a bit sad for him, but he'll be back in front of their fans in some capacity at some point and will be given a nice sendoff I'm sure. And from a football perspective... the obvious decision is to replace him with a keeper better suited for modern goalkeeping and playing behind high defensive lines. I don't think he's got that much to complain about - people being given deadlines to sign contracts or the other party will walk away is pretty normal. I also think United need to take a good hard look at their strategy behind paying massive wages and comparing it to what they've accomplished in the post-Ferguson era... because it's been tremendously wasteful.