talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

David de Gea Leaves Manchester United

21 minutes ago, Cicero said:

There's an 1.5 hour video doing the rounds on twitter of all of De Gea's blunders. 

After watching the first 15 mins, @Devil is spot on. 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/man-utd-david-de-gea-mistakes-compilation-contract-687577-20230701

I’d also like to see a highlight reel if important saves, for a proper comparison. 

23 minutes ago, Spike said:

https://www.sportbible.com/football/man-utd-david-de-gea-mistakes-compilation-contract-687577-20230701

I’d also like to see a highlight reel if important saves, for a proper comparison. 

That's his job mate, it's inexcusable that he should make the number of high level mistakes De Gea has over the last few years.

You don't see any other top keeper making that many mistakes.

4 minutes ago, Devil said:

That's his job mate, it's inexcusable that he should make the number of high level mistakes De Gea has over the last few years.

Sure you do. Kepa, Valdez, Casillas, Reina, Barthesz, Lehmann, Julio Cesar, Lloris, are just a few I can think of that were bad for mistakes. Maybe de Gea was the most prone of the lot but any goalie that’s played over 500 games will have a highlight real of mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Devil said:

Alisson & Ederson might make fewer mistakes than most goalkeepers, but basically every one of their mistakes is a howler. And they're easily the 2 best keepers in the league. All goalkeeper errors are going to look particularly poor tbh. De Gea's made a lot of howlers over the last few years, but he's also won United plenty of points over the last few years.

The biggest problem United have with him is he's not a great keeper for modern football, and when you've had managers that weren't the biggest fans of modern football they didn't have defenders (and arguably midfielders) good enough to provide the right kind of organisation to keep those sides looking solid.

whatever anyone thinks,  Onana is one of those types of signings that are revolutionary to a team as he is going to change a lot of how Man United play.   It will cost a lot but if they get 5-10 years out of him it won't matter.   His performances in the CL were good and while I don't watch serie A I can't really say what  he is like, but the consensus is that he is a massive step up on De Gea. 

On 12/07/2023 at 03:23, OrangeKhrush said:

whatever anyone thinks,  Onana is one of those types of signings that are revolutionary to a team as he is going to change a lot of how Man United play.   It will cost a lot but if they get 5-10 years out of him it won't matter.   His performances in the CL were good and while I don't watch serie A I can't really say what  he is like, but the consensus is that he is a massive step up on De Gea. 

It'll be as revolutionary as us adding Jorginho or Kepa into the side when we were under Sarri. He'll help the club into transitioning to adapt to a specific playing style, but his liabilities can't be masked. He is prone to calamitous errors and I can't help but feel it'll be even more exposed in the Premier League. 

• 4 months later...
On 11/07/2023 at 18:43, Devil said:

Well that statement didn't go well did it!! haha!

I stand by the fact we needed a change from De Gea but this has been a major downgrade. I was all for Onana as well, I will reserve my judgement the next time we buy a keeper now.

The problem for me is, he's got no authority so he makes the defence nervous. He's not really an intimidating keeper to try and beat.

God knows how he talks to them back there but for Man Utd to score 3 goals in every Champions League away game and not win one tells you a lot about Onana's presence for me.

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Unless De Gea thinks he's billy big bollocks and demanding stupid wages, I'm a little surprised that he's still a free agent. Man U may have needed an upgrade, but thought he'd still be good enough for a lot of other clubs needing a keeper.

That or wiki is lying and I'm too lazy to check properly.

I think he still fancies himself to be the #1 at a big club but can't see too many options there.

Can see Chelsea move for him though.

On 12/07/2023 at 05:33, Dr. Gonzo said:

Alisson & Ederson might make fewer mistakes than most goalkeepers, but basically every one of their mistakes is a howler. And they're easily the 2 best keepers in the league. All goalkeeper errors are going to look particularly poor tbh. De Gea's made a lot of howlers over the last few years, but he's also won United plenty of points over the last few years.

The biggest problem United have with him is he's not a great keeper for modern football, and when you've had managers that weren't the biggest fans of modern football they didn't have defenders (and arguably midfielders) good enough to provide the right kind of organisation to keep those sides looking solid.

The further up the field you go the more widely ignored howlers are. Besides something as horrid as a 'Sterling scoop' when a striker fucks up a walk in, think of the trillion times strikers should do way better in 1 on 1s or with free headers or with a cut back they fucked up. Commentator notes it, might get a replay, then never gets mentioned again. Midfielders get away with horrid giveaways or when caught on the ball. It's defenders and especially goalkeepers who's mistakes get remembered. 

• Upvote 2

Allison and Ederson are exceptions to the rule, but the obsession with goalkeepers than can play out is leading to a generation of keepers that are pretty bang average at doing what keepers should do.   

Allison and Ederson are rather good keepers that even if you took them out of Liverpool and City and dropped them into Burnley and Shef United they would still hold their own even though the play out aspect will go as neither of those clubs have players to allow that.  Outside of these two, Martinez and Pope are probably the next best even though Pope can from time to time give me a heart attack.