• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

50 Leicester Fans Involved In Homophobic Chanting

Recommended Posts

Quote

 

Supporters of both clubs have condemned homophobic abuse after anti-gay chanting was heard during Leicester's match against Brighton.

Two Foxes fans were arrested during their team's 2-0 home win over the Seagulls on Saturday.

Brighton Supporters Club's vice chair said such chanting was "disgusting" and the club should be fined and anyone responsible banned from the stadium.

The chairman of Foxes Pride said abuse was "offensive" and "unacceptable".

Brighton is a city well known for having a substantial lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

Liz Costa from Brighton & Hove Albion Supporters Club said about 50 Leicester fans took part in the "disgusting" chanting throughout most of the match at the King Power Stadium.

She said: "The club needs fining, this has nothing to do with football.

"[The chanting] lets the whole club down and damages their reputation. I feel I never want to visit [the stadium] again.

"Those responsible need to be identified and banned."

She added that Leicester's stewards were "very good" and reacted quickly.

Graeme Smith from Foxes Pride said: "There are some forums where people are saying you need to get over it, you need to get a life, it's only a bit of banter, but its not, it's offensive and it's unacceptable."

Leicester fan Chris Whiting, who is gay, said the "shocking" chanting by his fellow supporters made him feel unsafe.

Both the Football Association and the Premier League have been approached for comment.

Paul Mortimer from anti-discrimination group Kick It Out said: "It's about education more than anything, making people aware of the impact that this has on their own fans.

"Within football clubs there are LGBT communities and imagine what they will be feeling when a section of fans are saying this horrible language in their presence."

Leicester City said it was "disappointed" about what happened but satisfied stewards reacted "swiftly and appropriately" and those responsible were ejected and reported to police.

A 44-year-old man has been charged with indecent chanting under Section 3 of the Football Offences Act and is due to appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court on Thursday.

A second man aged 21 who was arrested on suspicion of making obscene gestures was given a caution.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41000016

Anyone know what was said?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what exactly. If it's things such as "we can see you holding hands" I really don't think it warrants a huge outcry. If there was threatening behaviour based on someone being gay, say Chris* for example was threatened for it then I agree action needs taking.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. People always try and cross the line once one is drawn, that's a fact of life. I can't believe that those who did it will see this reaction and have any regret, being honest, they knew it'd get a reaction like this so did it.

It is poor but stand by my first paragraph.

*Chris used to post on TFF xD he was FuriousFox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's poor and no excuse for it regardless of what the chant was, bit sad really because the game should be moved on from that. I don't think it ever will though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must add I wouldn't sing stuff like "we can see you holding hands" because it's been done to death and they've been on the end of it for years. Unoriginal and boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No place for any kind of homophobia in any sport but it's rife in football sadly. I don't understand what kind of kicks fans get out of taking the piss out of someone's sexuality when they're there to watch a game of football xD

@Dan @HoneyNUFC apparently there was also a chant saying 'does your boyfriend know you're here?'. 

I don't sit near the away fans but there was some twatty teenager who tried to start a 'you're just a gay town in...' chant but then didn't know what county Brighton was in so had to shut up. Then his dad gave him a swift telling off as well xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in a crowd of 30,000 home fans it is nigh on impossible to have none of them make any of those kinds of comments, even more so when it gets brought to attention beforehand. Reminds me a bit of when we had that respect the ref fixture that time and everyone immediately went harder on the ref, obviously not exactly the same but similar concept.

Not defending people who sing it but I can't see a realistic or sensible way that you eradicate it entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly disgraceful. Leicester City should be stripped of their league title and it should be given to whoever it was that came 2nd that season. Punishment needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dread to think what headlines will come out when the minority of gorms that support our club go Brighton away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's being made to be a bigger thing because Brighton are a Premier League team now. Brighton have, unfortunately, been on the end of this sort of thing for years and though I think we've come a long way over the years, it still goes on and is rightly criticised and looked into with a level of seriousness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people still think someone being gay is worthy of a chant? 

Jesus Christ, what is this... 1985? 

Poor this from Leicester fans, very poor indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Brighton get it often "does your boyfriend know your here" I'm sure that has been sang at most clubs. Give it six months Brighton will have a third kit in rainbow colours released while the media really go an extra mile to prove they're not homophobic while championing them. 

It's slightly ironic because Brighton look like they're going to get fucked in the arse all year based off their showing so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

Do people still think someone being gay is worthy of a chant? 

Jesus Christ, what is this... 1985? 

Poor this from Leicester fans, very poor indeed. 

As Smiley has quite correctly pointed out, Brighton fans usually get this wherever they go. It was seemed as 'football banter' about a decade ago, but with a shift in public perception and Brighton now being a Premier League club I reckon this will be a much talked about issue this season (and quite rightly so).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I thought Brighton get it often "does your boyfriend know your here" I'm sure that has been sang at most clubs. Give it six months Brighton will have a third kit in rainbow colours released while the media really go an extra mile to prove they're not homophobic while championing them. 

It's slightly ironic because Brighton look like they're going to get fucked in the arse all year based off their showing so far. 

Wow. 

This bloke's vote counts for exactly the same as everyone else's. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I thought Brighton get it often "does your boyfriend know your here" I'm sure that has been sang at most clubs. Give it six months Brighton will have a third kit in rainbow colours released while the media really go an extra mile to prove they're not homophobic while championing them. 

It's slightly ironic because Brighton look like they're going to get fucked in the arse all year based off their showing so far. 

You have got to be kidding me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lmao homophobia really is the biggest crime in the Anglo mind, all the memes are true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

You have got to be kidding me.

Yeah it's a fairly tongue in cheek post, I'd have thought the suggestion of a rainbow third strip gave it away but alas. 

On a serious note however if you were to stand on any clubs terraces you're going to get generalisation and lewd inproper comments back & forth. Leicester themselves often get racist chanting about being terrorists and such. A couple of prats chanting "we can see you holding hands" is hardly worth the column inches it will no doubt inspire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've got 2 new players coming in to be fair. Haven't played any games they're expected to get points either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Yeah it's a fairly tongue in cheek post, I'd have thought the suggestion of a rainbow third strip gave it away but alas. 

On a serious note however if you were to stand on any clubs terraces you're going to get generalisation and lewd inproper comments back & forth. Leicester themselves often get racist chanting about being terrorists and such. A couple of prats chanting "we can see you holding hands" is hardly worth the column inches it will no doubt inspire. 

We all know it's not a tongue in cheek post. We all know you really blame all those foreigns for taking jobs, how every mosque is a school for bomb making, how you believed that Big Ben was to be renamed Massive Mohammed and how everyone should speak English in Inglund because they're in Inglund and if your St George's Cross offends them, they can all go home.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

We all know it's not a tongue in cheek post. We all know you really blame all those foreigns for taking jobs, how every mosque is a school for bomb making, how you believed that Big Ben was to be renamed Massive Mohammed and how everyone should speak English in Inglund because they're in Inglund and if your St George's Cross offends them, they can all go home.

lol I don't even know where to start with that, that's what I believe is called triggering by the young folk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chants might come from 50 people every week for Brighton but arguably what makes this worse are a few fans being ejected for taking it further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

They've got 2 new players coming in to be fair. Haven't played any games they're expected to get points either.

They lack pace for me I thought both them & yourselves would struggle with your existing squads because neither had real pace which would cost them in the prem. I take your point though not the easiest of games 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The chants might come from 50 people every week for Brighton but arguably what makes this worse are a few fans being ejected for taking it further.

Or Going deeper maybe? 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Someone in here showing their true colours :coffee:

As i've said before mate i'm no homophobe I have two gay cousins who I have very good relationship & banter with, it's my personality to take the piss. If you truly know gay people you would know that it's often part of their personality to be very scathing and well equipped for verbal sparring and they appreciate a bit of back & forth, there's a fine line obviously but gay people from my experience which is probably the slightly older crowd now love a lewd comment by & large. Like anything context is massive however, joking in the pub is different from 50 pissed up idiots being verbally abusive.

Regarding me & my comment's i've stopped giving a fuck about football so now I mainly just enjoy teasing these easily offended types who like to show how virtuous they are online, there's a fair chance Smiley is red faced at his screen utterly disgusted with me and that's essentially why i've posted the "going deeper" comment (gay people would laugh at this more often than not). His rant about others none related topics where he's making massive assumptions about my opinions while trying to disparage my opinions on the basis that my opinions are formed using assumptions is hilarious and virtue signalling 101. Fucking "Inglund" i'd love to know what he thinks I look like, i'd love it if he can find any example of me clearly stating all those opinions he's accusing me of expressing. He won't though he's just made a quick generalization based on his own prejudices which he obviously feels are justifiable enough to attack people over, I believe the term sanctimonious little smegma riddled cretin wouldn't be far off the mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fairy In Boots said:

As i've said before mate i'm no homophobe I have two gay cousins who I have very good relationship & banter with, it's my personality to take the piss. If you truly know gay people you would know that it's often part of their personality to be very scathing and well equipped for verbal sparring and they appreciate a bit of back & forth, there's a fine line obviously but gay people from my experience which is probably the slightly older crowd now love a lewd comment by & large. Like anything context is massive however, joking in the pub is different from 50 pissed up idiots being verbally abusive.

Regarding me & my comment's i've stopped giving a fuck about football so now I mainly just enjoy teasing these easily offended types who like to show how virtuous they are online, there's a fair chance Smiley is red faced at his screen utterly disgusted with me and that's essentially why i've posted the "going deeper" comment (gay people would laugh at this more often than not). His rant about others none related topics where he's making massive assumptions about my opinions while trying to disparage my opinions on the basis that my opinions are formed using assumptions is hilarious and virtue signalling 101. Fucking "Inglund" i'd love to know what he thinks I look like, i'd love it if he can find any example of me clearly stating all those opinions he's accusing me of expressing. He won't though he's just made a quick generalization based on his own prejudices which he obviously feels are justifiable enough to attack people over, I believe the term sanctimonious little smegma riddled cretin wouldn't be far off the mark

xD @ the whole of this.

The old "I'm not being racist but"/"how can I be racist, my best mate is Indian and I love curry" or in this case "how can I be a homophobe, I know a gay bloke" line. Classic.

You've covered yourself in no glory at all in a number of discussions both on this forum and the old one about your feelings towards the Muslim race and now homosexuality. Now you're backtracking because you've shown your true colours and thought it would be funny only to be greeted with shock that you think like this in the year 2017 and you've not time travelled from 1987. I'm only red faced that a mouth breather like yourself has the same rights I do and your vote counts for exactly the same as the rest of the nations. 

Your sweeping generalisation of the whole homosexuality community based upon allegedly being related to and presumably being fairly close to two homosexual's is also sensational but if you know two gays, all gay's act, think, behave and converse exactly the same. Can you not see the small-mindedness of yourself? Its the small minded attitude you showed in your initial posting on this thread that shows this sort of behaviour at Football won't be ending anytime soon, because you see it as "funny" or "tongue in cheek".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

xD @ the whole of this.

The old "I'm not being racist but"/"how can I be racist, my best mate is Indian and I love curry" or in this case "how can I be a homophobe, I know a gay bloke" line. Classic.

You've covered yourself in no glory at all in a number of discussions both on this forum and the old one about your feelings towards the Muslim race and now homosexuality. Now you're backtracking because you've shown your true colours and thought it would be funny only to be greeted with shock that you think like this in the year 2017 and you've not time travelled from 1987. I'm only red faced that a mouth breather like yourself has the same rights I do and your vote counts for exactly the same as the rest of the nations. 

Your sweeping generalisation of the whole homosexuality community based upon allegedly being related to and presumably being fairly close to two homosexual's is also sensational but if you know two gays, all gay's act, think, behave and converse exactly the same. Can you not see the small-mindedness of yourself? Its the small minded attitude you showed in your initial posting on this thread that shows this sort of behaviour at Football won't be ending anytime soon, because you see it as "funny" or "tongue in cheek".

As I said in the original post we'd discussed homosexuality previously  some months back either here or TFF where i'd expressed my view on it and I don't remember any outcry about homophobia then. For the record I know many gay men & women and have interacted with them pretty much all my life, never had a problem. I've also never really come across those that are that weak they need heroes like yourselves to fight the battle online for them, most of the incalculable number i've meet when receiving abuse about holding hands would have grasped each others hands maybe even had a kiss then given the finger!  They need you to police the internet for them though they're to weak to do it themselves.

Why you've brought up the "muslim race" I don't know, mainly because a race would suggest that there's a specific race when there isn't it's an ideology that's not racially specific. I suspect it's in part to just validate your opinion and the "sweeping generalization" you made originally when attacking me over it and get a few likes of the usual crowd. I would also for the record say that anybody who thinks their democratic vote is worth more than another's based on what their personally validation of their own opinions is the very definition of a small minded mouth breather.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

As I said in the original post we'd discussed homosexuality previously  some months back either here or TFF where i'd expressed my view on it and I don't remember any outcry about homophobia then. For the record I know many gay men & women and have interacted with them pretty much all my life, never had a problem. I've also never really come across those that are that weak they need heroes like yourselves to fight the battle online for them, most of the incalculable number i've meet when receiving abuse about holding hands would have grasped each others hands maybe even had a kiss then given the finger!  They need you to police the internet for them though they're to weak to do it themselves.

Why you've brought up the "muslim race" I don't know, mainly because a race would suggest that there's a specific race when there isn't it's an ideology that's not racially specific. I suspect it's in part to just validate your opinion and the "sweeping generalization" you made originally when attacking me over it and get a few likes of the usual crowd. I would also for the record say that anybody who thinks their democratic vote is worth more than another's based on what their personally validation of their own opinions is the very definition of a small minded mouth breather.

 

"Policing the Internet" xD No, just telling idiots that their small minded homophobic or racist opinions about people of different sexual orientation or religion is utterly stupid, unwanted and not okay in this day and age.

YES, WE KNOW, YOU CANNOT BE A HOMOPHOBE, YOU'VE MET A GAY! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

"Policing the Internet" xD No, just telling idiots that their small minded homophobic or racist opinions about people of different sexual orientation or religion is utterly stupid, unwanted and not okay in this day and age.

YES, WE KNOW, YOU CANNOT BE A HOMOPHOBE, YOU'VE MET A GAY! 

Lol ok we should all just go with your world view then I take it? Maybe we could take you up on the disproportionate vote system you seem keen on. Jesus wept what a prat you are, the fact you call me small minded when you can't comprehend conflicting arguments and just dismiss them outright as "outdated" while extolling the virtues of your own opinion is laughable. The fact that you don't see the irony of excluding opinion and labeling opposing thought as small minded is scary really, it doesn't bode well for social discourse long term, fuck it though It will get you a few +1's off your fellow idiots on here though. 

What's funny is i'm not being homophobic I made a tongue in cheek comment about a rainbow kit and how Brighton will be mercilessly used to virtue signal about how "we're all down with the gays" and you've started accusing me of racism and homophobia, something which i've denied and explained that in my opinion the gay community can look after themselves and they don't need all the fake virtue signalling comrade shite really, yet i'm still a homophobe.  Just how condescending shall we be to the homosexual community?

Also your relentless insistence to pull other topics into this discussion to throw at me rather than stick to the topic at hand is quite funny, it's an effective tactic it stigmatizes me and my opinion but to my mind it just shows that you've made a general assumption about me and my opinions and there's nothing I can do to change it. It's humorous that i'm the one being called small minded here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement