talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 9 - 21-23rd October, 2023

football forum

• Administrator

Saliba handball was harsh. His hand is already there as he leaps to head the ball. Hardly like he has a chance to move his hand before the Chelsea player heads the ball. 

Raya had a shocker. 

Sanchez will get a lot of stick and although it wasn't the best pass, Gallagher is sleeping. He should be expecting the ball but reacts way too late to getting a simple pass. Rice took the goal well.

Think Sanchez was lucky not to give away a penalty too. Think that's a rule I'd change in football to take some power away from goalkeepers. They endanger opponents when they come to punch the ball and not only totally miss it, but clean out a player too. If outfield players miss the ball in a tackle and take out the player, they're penalised. 

• Administrator

Brentford's disallowed goal really shouldn't have been. Ajer was offside, but he wasn't involved in the play. The free kick didn't even reach him. How VAR official doesn't see that, or realise there's no interference in the play from Ajer is beyond me. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Stan said:

Think Sanchez was lucky not to give away a penalty too. Think that's a rule I'd change in football to take some power away from goalkeepers. They endanger opponents when they come to punch the ball and not only totally miss it, but clean out a player too. If outfield players miss the ball in a tackle and take out the player, they're penalised. 

I think that rule needs amending too. If you're a goalie and you come out, miss the ball and then take out an opposition player it should be a foul. Sanchez got away with it yesterday and it's not even new, it happened before. The only question then becomes, if the player that the goalie takes out is not even in a goal scoring position how do you deal with the infraction? Yellow card? Freekick? 

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I think that rule needs amending too. If you're a goalie and you come out, miss the ball and then take out an opposition player it should be a foul. Sanchez got away with it yesterday and it's not even new, it happened before. The only question then becomes, if the player that the goalie takes out is not even in a goal scoring position how do you deal with the infraction? Yellow card? Freekick? 

Could still be a foul, so if in the box it should be a penalty. 

Don't have to be in a goalscoring position for it to be a foul. 

22 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Not watching but they've had an opposing player sent off, got away with a red card themselves and have now been given a penalty and they still think there's a conspiracy against them xD.

There was two other possible penalties. The first handball one wasn't I don't think but there was one on Jota just before half time that looked like it was. Not seen a replay cos they didn't show it but I thought it was at the time.

Not going to deny that Konate might have been lucky. Wasn't the same sort of challenge that Young got his second yellow for though so can see why the ref didn't see it as a second yellow. Tsimikas was lucky not to be booked for basically the same challenge Young made for his first yellow

18 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

A game I was not expecting us to win but having gone 2 up and having the chance to make it 4 I can only say we threw it all away... 

Thought it was a good tactical game plan. 

Need to do something about Sanchez' distribution as this is just getting silly now. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Thought it was a good tactical game plan. 

Need to do something about Sanchez' distribution as this is just getting silly now. 

Do you not think Gallagher could have been more alert. He was static, knew Sanchez had passed him the ball, but was so slow to react. 

Michael Antonio as a striker massively holds this West Ham team back. He looks so off the pace.

He did a job when they were more direct and played long balls but this team has evolved now, they have better technicians on the ball, more skill and play decent Football.

He has got to go if they want to improve further.

Edited by Lucas
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Stan said:

Do you not think Gallagher could have been more alert. He was static, knew Sanchez had passed him the ball, but was so slow to react. 

Can't pin that on anyone other than Sanchez, personally. Honestly felt Arsenal were thinking about Sevilla before Sanchez did that. 

Adequate first half. Douglas Luiz (Dougie) has now scored in 6 consecutive matches at Villa Park. Mainly because he's on penalties now, but still the best Premier League run since Dwight Yorke. And Villa on run of most consecutive home league wins since 1983.

The top half of the table starting to take shape, looking quite stacked, with even Chelsea & Man United finding hints of form. Getting a win here would be great.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Can't pin that on anyone other than Sanchez, personally. Honestly felt Arsenal were thinking about Sevilla before Sanchez did that. 

It's a poor choice of pass, too risky. But I don't think Gallagher helped him. Why is a midfielder of his calibre waiting for the ball to come to him. Just really slow to react. 

4 hours ago, LFCMike said:

There was two other possible penalties. The first handball one wasn't I don't think but there was one on Jota just before half time that looked like it was. Not seen a replay cos they didn't show it but I thought it was at the time.

Not going to deny that Konate might have been lucky. Wasn't the same sort of challenge that Young got his second yellow for though so can see why the ref didn't see it as a second yellow. Tsimikas was lucky not to be booked for basically the same challenge Young made for his first yellow

Just remembered the Patterson on Diaz was a penalty as well. 

But Livarpool xD

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Just remembered the Patterson on Diaz was a penalty as well. 

But Livarpool xD

Agree with that. 

Never rated Pawson. He's in that arrogant band of refs that love to make the game all about him instead of letting the teams and football do the talking. 

He got quite a lot wrong and that's nowhere near the first time he's had a mare. 

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Agree with that. 

Never rated Pawson. He's in that arrogant band of refs that love to make the game all about him instead of letting the teams and football do the talking. 

He got quite a lot wrong and that's nowhere near the first time he's had a mare. 

Agreed. Pawson has always been a cunt. How he didn't give the handball straight away is beyond me.

I think a lot of refs use VAR now to stop them making big decisions.

Edited by LFCMike

Didn't quite feel like a 4-1 game to me, but also Villa just continue to be free scoring at home. And, Antonio did not cause too much trouble. Before Emery, Villa would 100% have crumbled when pulled back to 2-1. With mostly the same players.

Everton 4-0, Palace 3-1, Brighton 6-1, West Ham 4-1.. Luton next (after AZ on Thursday)

Still 3rd in calendar year table.

This side already feels comparable to the sides of Big Ron (Atkinson), Brian Little, John Gregory & Martin O'Neill. They've been away so long, it will be a challenge to keep this up. Or be taken particularly seriously. But definitely just enjoying for what it is right now.

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Agreed. Pawson has always been a cunt. How he didn't give the handball straight away is beyond me.

I think a lot of refs use VAR now to stop them making big decisions.

Agreed and he's one of the worst for it. He's just got that aura about him that screams elitist and ostentatious. A slappable face too. 

Managed to watch the highlights.

To the surprise of nobody, the side who needed to strengthen with at least two attacking players and signed nobody have scored one goal in four and are the second lowest goal scorers in the league. The only other side lower are Bournemouth, who are yet to win a game and are still only one goal behind.

I was in favour of seeing Edouard on the left more often as he was good at cutting inside in his first season, but his defensive game is just nowhere near good enough. Mitchell had a horrendous time against Trippier and Murphy without adequate defensive support.

Then there's Mateta, I said at the time to some of my friends him scoring a hat trick against Plymouth in the Carling Cup could be the worst thing that happens to us as it could lull Dougie and Parish in to thinking we dont need to sign another striker. Everything every supporter thought would happen since has happened. He just isn't good enough to get us to where we need to be.

If I was Roy I would start Rak-Sakyi and France out wide against Spurs with Ayew or Edouard up top. The current three have no thrust, no threat, no energy, nothing. 

On 22/10/2023 at 07:38, Stan said:

Brentford's disallowed goal really shouldn't have been. Ajer was offside, but he wasn't involved in the play. The free kick didn't even reach him. How VAR official doesn't see that, or realise there's no interference in the play from Ajer is beyond me. 

Na it was a good call, if Ajer doesn’t intervene then their defender can try and mark Collins, who ended up assisting Maupay. But cos he does intervene, their defender is pulled away from Collins.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Danny said:

Na it was a good call, if Ajer doesn’t intervene then their defender can try and mark Collins, who ended up assisting Maupay. But cos he does intervene, their defender is pulled away from Collins.

But there's already a player marking Collins. Ajer is behind the play. It must happen in so many games where there's one player beyond the line of defence but not interfering, and has no involvement, but another onside player plays the ball to lead to a goal. The player in the offside position is irrelevant. I don't think Ajer intervenes or makes a play for the ball to impact anything else. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

But there's already a player marking Collins. Ajer is behind the play. It must happen in so many games where there's one player beyond the line of defence but not interfering, and has no involvement, but another onside player plays the ball to lead to a goal. The player in the offside position is irrelevant. I don't think Ajer intervenes or makes a play for the ball to impact anything else. 

It doesn’t matter if Collins is already being marked though, in this instance there’s a second defender who can beat him to the ball but that defender has to run with Ajer who is in an offside position. Ajer’s run off the ball literally makes it easier for Collins to cross. Plus I’m pretty sure Ajer has his arms around the defender, hes definitely interfering.

I want a Neal Maupay goal as much as you Stan :ph34r:

• The topic was unpinned