talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Game of the Year - 2023 Edition

football forum

• Subscriber

What a year it's been for games. Every quarter has a stellar game that kept gamers engaged with new mechanics or great story telling. As we got towards the end of the year some really good games started to come out too. Here's my list for what I played this year and the good/bad from the list.

The Good

• Lies of P (MultiPlatform) - I start this list with one of the better games I played that I really liked and wanted to be a GOTY candidate even if it's a souls-clone. The story is engaging and actually has some plot unlike your typical souls' games and the character progression system and weapon choices truly are what makes this game shine. I hope to see a sequel and more from this studio in the same genre of games, they know what they are doing. Are they better than FromSW? Not really but they do a good job.
  • Legend Of Zelda (Switch) - Tears of the Kingdom - If there was a category for best game mechanics of the year this one easily wins it hands down. It's BoTW on steroids and as you start to build your arsenal and traverse the world Nintendo have created you start to appreciate just how deep this game can get. 
  • Baldur's Gate 3 (Multi-platform - Best played on PC) - Easily one of the best RPGs in a very long time for the PC. I played the Beta and was clamoring for more and the fact that its Larian making this game made it even more fun. They have history here and this is a refinement that truly deserves all the accolades it's getting. 
  • Spiderman 2 (PS5) - This is the PS5 game to get this year. It's open world system and the fact that you've got character switching is Insomniac truly using with the PS5 was made to do. Is it similar to the last two games they've made? Yes. Have they added fun elements to make it fresh? Yes. The story is also quite good, and I'd recommend this to anyone with a PS5, it's a must have.
  • Alan Wake 2 (Multiplatform | Currently Playing) - I went into this thinking to myself that the first one was good and surely this would be better. It was good, really good. What they've managed to do here and achieve with the scares and the mechanics will keep you very engaged. Does it hold replay value? I don't think so but that's irrelevant as its very good.
  • Sea of Stars (Multiplatform) - This is my vote for hidden gem of the year. It's so good that I had to get it for my Switch and its thoroughly engrossing as an RPG.
  • Wo Long - Fallen Dynasty (Multiplatform) - When I first started playing this, I thought I'd get a Sekiro-like experience, but I was wrong, very wrong. What Team Ninja have done here and its very sneaky is they've found a way to make a game that I'd like to say teaches you the fine art of crowd-management. The bosses are ultra difficult and it gives you a very Elden-Ring feeling as every turn brings about a new enemy type that is looking to end you. I rank it higher than Lies of P in terms of achievement satisfaction and Lies of P is really very high on my list of games I played this year. 
  • Fire Emblem Engage (Switch) - I wish I had bought this when it came out as I really liked it and if you have played any of the others in the series you'll love the fact that they've gone back to proper tactical gameplay vs some of the other story-based modes they've had which were honestly just garbage imo. 
  • Super Mario Bros - Wonder (Switch) [Late Add] - Yeah its good and its quite nice that they've found new ways to keep you engaged too. Is it the best SMB out there? Not really but its still very good for the Switch.

The Bad 

• Robocop - Vice City (Multiplatform) - I like the general idea of this game but its so unpolished that even with the healthy helping of on-screen violence and the fact that your hand canon truly blows people's heads to bits it fell a little short of me. I'd like a more polished game with some better mechanics. I'd also like half my money back.
  • Redfall - I went into this like I did with Prey and I left feeling exactly the way I did with Prey. This is 2023 and yet we're left with shaky camera control systems and just a horrible gaming experience all over.

The Not So Great

• RE4 - Remake (Multiplatform) - I'd love to give this higher accolades but lets be honest here, its a remake. And no matter how nice a remake is, its just an upscale of an already existing game that for its time was revolutionary in a series that had gotten very stale from a games mechanic point of view.
  • Diablo IV (Multiplatform) - I'd have given Blizzard higher marks here but they really have to ditch the engine they've used for the last few games and give me something fresh and new. They could have literally called this Diablo 3 The Expansion and I think it would have been just fine.
  • Street Fighter 6 (Multiplatform) - After SFV I think Capcom really should have taken a long hiatus before coming back with another game. The mechanics are refreshing but this game honestly should have and could have been much better. At times it felt imbalanced and it feels rushed. 

Queued Up / Notable

• Starfield - I won't ever play this but I have heard "nice" things about it. I will say this though, please stop fucking around and give us an Elder Scrolls game please. 
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder - Definitely next on my list after I put Alan Wake to bed. 
  • Star Wars Jedi : Survivor - It sort of fell off the radar with all the other games that came out this year that I really wanted to play but I definitely want to play it after I liked the first one so much.
  • Hogwarts Legacy - Fuck anything Harry Potter. But it has been getting great reviews.
  • FFXVI - This will get game time in the earlier part of the year.

There were other games this year that I really wanted to play but just couldn't find the time and they will eventually go into the backlog but this is what I have for now and tbh this is one of the weird years in gaming where we've actually had some variety in gameplay across all contenders for GOTY. 

My Vote - GOTY

image.png.2e84401f39a7903dc9ea297eec538ccf.png

What this game has achieved will pave the way for companies to copy in the future. It's a massive effort to bring to the table what Larian have achieved here. From the varied strategy systems to the player interaction modes that you get in this game it has it all and it's not shy to go off the rails every now and then making you curse your choices as you traverse the world created. You can spend hours here and walk away satisfied every single time. It's really that good. My recommendation is to play this on a PC if you can as its one of those sit down and have a run at it kind of games like the Divinity series which I think set the dev team on the right path to getting this done. 

What did you play this year that you really liked? Was there a game you thought was total garbage and really didn't deserve to be in the good/not-so-good category. As a final note, my most anticipated fun game next year is Dino-Swords and I can't wait to see what they do with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I genuinely don't know.

I'm in the rare group of people who didn't like the new Zelda. It felt like a Zelda game so far removed from the Zelda I grew up playing, I got tired of playing it. My wife loves it, mind you.

Starfield is a game I really like. It's also a game that makes me want to play Fallout more than I actually want to play Starfield - I think if you've got a game that's good, but also leaves you wanting to play another game... it's not game of the year. Shame, because I think there's so much potential in Starfield... but it also feels like there's stuff missing compared to other Bethesda games. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful game. But game of the year? Probably not.

The only other game that I've played on that list is Diablo IV, which again... is a very good game. Is it game of the year? Probably not, tbh I don't like this new "open world" style of Diablo. I will say I think they've very creatively addressed things like the end-game in a way that makes sense and feels good - and there's no shortage of content. It's a lot better than Diablo III imo. But game of the year? Nah, probably not.

My personal game of the year is probably Starfield since that's the best 2023 game I've played in 2023. But I don't think it's the sort of game that's quite worthy of the title, if that makes sense.

Also I can't tell if it's because I'm getting older if I'm actually right about this... but I'm finding newer video games to be less and less engaging than I did before.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Also I can't tell if it's because I'm getting older if I'm actually right about this... but I'm finding newer video games to be less and less engaging than I did before.

I've felt the same as well (albeit the same scenario in getting older). Admittedly the uni stuff isn't helping as that takes top priority over gaming.

Hell, I was very close to not bothering with games at all during 2015 and 2016. It's only due to Yakuza 0 in 2017 that I got into games again.

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I have to agree here. I stick to certain genres because I get value out of them and they are mostly souls-like games vs the traditional platformers which I really used to enjoy but now they've gotten stale with some exceptions. The Zelda game won't win GOTY honestly even if the game mechanics are truly good, the fact it got a 10 from many reviewers shocked me.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Easy one for me. Like a Dragon: Ishin.

Simply because it's the only game I think I played that actually released this year. xD

I genuinely think you'd like Engage a lot just based on how much you like the other Fire Emblem stuff.

6 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I genuinely think you'd like Engage a lot just based on how much you like the other Fire Emblem stuff.

Gonna surprise you here.

I've never played Fire Emblem, despite the praise and success the series has had.

Which is weird, considering my love for Advance Wars and both being developed by Intelligent Systems. 

• Wow 1

On 13/11/2023 at 20:51, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Easy one for me. Like a Dragon: Ishin.

Simply because it's the only game I think I played that actually released this year. xD

Actually, I'm a bloody tool.

I've been jacking off the game for ages and then completely forgot about it when this thread was made.

I played Advance Wars 1 and 2: Reboot Camp when it came out in April.

This is automatic Game of the Year 2023 I'm afraid. @Mel81x, please close the thread.

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

I want to get to Starfield at some point but other then that I dont have alot of interest in most of these newer games. Alan Wake I took note but I want to pick up the first one and get through that first.

Only one on your list Ive played.. currently playing is Jedi Survivor and again I havent played Fallen Order (but I will after now) and so far I love it. Perfect blend of awesome Jedi action that I want with an interesting enough story mixed in with some cool characters and cute robuts. \

My backlog of older games is just ever growing, adulting sucks man.

On 14/11/2023 at 13:22, Cicero said:

Only played Hogwarts Legacy. 

Whilst a brilliant game visually and the open world is amazing, felt it wasn't that re-playable. Definitely needs updates/DLCs included. 

Yeah same here, I thought it was outstanding but once it was done it was done. I tried so hard to push to 100% but I don't think it had the depth to keep me on the journey, DLC was badly needed. 

My birthday was last week, so I'm doing Starfield and Spider-Man 2 at the moment (impressed with both). I've got AC: Mirage too but saving that until I'm finished with SM, I don't think I could juggle three games efficiently.

10 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Actually, I'm a bloody tool.

I've been jacking off the game for ages and then completely forgot about it when this thread was made.

I played Advance Wars 1 and 2: Reboot Camp when it came out in April.

This is automatic Game of the Year 2023 I'm afraid. @Mel81x, please close the thread.

• Subscriber
12 hours ago, Whiskey said:

My birthday was last week, so I'm doing Starfield and Spider-Man 2 at the moment (impressed with both). I've got AC: Mirage too but saving that until I'm finished with SM, I don't think I could juggle three games efficiently.

Happy Belated Birthday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 16/11/2023 at 18:25, OrangeKhrush said:

I am not a fan of GOTY editions,  it is pure milking for addons.  They need to go back to full games and when new content comes you can choose what DLC you want. 

Don't think that's the topic we're discussing here. Plus I think GOTY editions are more based on sales and price reductions mostly, I'm struggling to think of a GOTY edition that went ahead of the original and gave you something more unless I am missing something here.

4 hours ago, Mel81x said:

Don't think that's the topic we're discussing here. Plus I think GOTY editions are more based on sales and price reductions mostly, I'm struggling to think of a GOTY edition that went ahead of the original and gave you something more unless I am missing something here.

The only thing I can think of is Battlefield 4,  if you got the full pack,  you got all the DLC's when they released plus added skins and crates.  There never was a GOTY version,  just the base game,  or the full pack. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

The only thing I can think of is Battlefield 4,  if you got the full pack,  you got all the DLC's when they released plus added skins and crates.  There never was a GOTY version,  just the base game,  or the full pack. 

TBF that's one of those games where paying for a DLC really makes zero sense as its map improvements although there have been publishing houses that have taken advantage of even that haha.

Game Of The Year

1st Starfield for me by a mile

2nd Baldurs Gate 3

3rd Jedi Survivor

4th Alan Wake 2

5th Final Fantasy XVI

6th Assassin's Creed Mirage

7th Forza Motorsport 23

DLC of the year CyberPunk Phantom Liberty 

Biggest Disappointment Spiderman 2, basically the first game, very short

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Game Of The Year

1st Starfield for me by a mile

2nd Baldurs Gate 3

3rd Jedi Survivor

4th Alan Wake 2

5th Final Fantasy XVI

6th Assassin's Creed Mirage

7th Forza Motorsport 23

DLC of the year CyberPunk Phantom Liberty 

Biggest Disappointment Spiderman 2, basically the first game, very short

I don't know if S2 was that much of a disappointment. I haven't played Starfield but BG3 easily wipes the floor with most things put out this year just because of the sheer randomness of all of it. I was very tempted to get FF XVI and maybe I'll do it earlier next year. 

1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I don't know if S2 was that much of a disappointment. I haven't played Starfield but BG3 easily wipes the floor with most things put out this year just because of the sheer randomness of all of it. I was very tempted to get FF XVI and maybe I'll do it earlier next year. 

For you maybe, for me it was a boring button masher that spent to much time fucking about walking around houses and riding bikes then you had to play as that annoying chick, not for me but if you like it fair play. I really enjoy Starfield being a huge star wars fan, that just appeals to me more. BG3 was a great game as well. Stick FF on your Christmas list, its fairly decent 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

For you maybe, for me it was a boring button masher that spent to much time fucking about walking around houses and riding bikes then you had to play as that annoying chick, not for me but if you like it fair play. I really enjoy Starfield being a huge star wars fan, that just appeals to me more. BG3 was a great game as well. Stick FF on your Christmas list, its fairly decent 

I do agree that the Mary Jane quests were a bit ... just unnecessary but I think the rest was more like the first. Is it a GOTY? Not really since, as you said, its more of S1 really. FF is certainly on my list as I have only heard good things about it and the fact that I haven't played an FF in a while just makes me want to try it more.