talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 17 - 15-17th December, 2023

football forum

• Subscriber

Someone on an Everton podcast compared this Burnley team to Lampard's Everton citing all the possession, sideways passing and lack of any actual threat.

Hard to argue with that assessment based on the first 25 minutes here. Throw in there the naive predictability and conceding of soft goals.

• Subscriber
On 17/01/2022 at 04:56, Dan said:

I'll get pelters for this but Sean Dyche. Burnley are on the wane now and I don't put that on him - I think they're about to crash and burn personally. I think he'd come, whilst Potter wouldn't.

I'm not even saying this for "he'll keep you up every season" because that's way less than you should be aiming for and that 'ambition' is what would eventually relegate a club, but he's managed that at a club with a consistently weaker squad and a substantially poorer budget. Can totally understand turning the nose up at him but I think his ceiling is a bit higher than simply survival.

It's intrigue as much as anything, I'd be very interested to see him at a bigger club.

In another way the more I think about it I think you're just fucked and you're going to repetitively do this until Moshiri goes. You've tried all types of managers, all types of players, spent a lot in order to do so, but worst of all in my opinion you brought in the football 'brain', didn't utilise it what so ever, let a manager who blatantly had no long term future there get rid of him and then sacked that manager a month later anyway. What hope has literally any manager got in that situation? Even more so given you've spent a lot of the money now and you're having to go for the cheaper players anyway. Dyche, Potter, Martinez, Allardyce, it's irrelevant until the clown at the top learns from his errors and there are no signs of it. You need to get him out first and foremost because I fear this kind of season will become your norm otherwise.

I'm leaving this one here. Everton was a good move for him - they had a lot of players well suited to his football as well.

• Subscriber

Keane with a goal and Godfrey with a clearance as good as a goal in the first half. Fair play to two lads who have barely had a look-in all season and most Everton fans would have been nervous about seeing their names on the teamsheet.

It's Everton so it's still too early to be boastful but that first 45 minutes was a pretty decent summary of what Dyche used to bring Burnley and what they're now sorely lacking. We've managed to target pretty much all of their weaknesses while they've made it barely noticeable that we've been forced to change three of our regular back four and indeed our entire shape as a result.

As good as their Championship season was, questions have to be asked about Kompany's ability to restore Burnley to a bona fide Premier League team. Luton and Sheffield United could be forgiven for going out with a whimper but Burnley should be much more competitive than this.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Keane with a goal and Godfrey with a clearance as good as a goal in the first half. Fair play to two lads who have barely had a look-in all season and most Everton fans would have been nervous about seeing their names on the teamsheet.

It's Everton so it's still too early to be boastful but that first 45 minutes was a pretty decent summary of what Dyche used to bring Burnley and what they're now sorely lacking. We've managed to target pretty much all of their weaknesses while they've made it barely noticeable that we've been forced to change three of our regular back four and indeed our entire shape as a result.

As good as their Championship season was, questions have to be asked about Kompany's ability to restore Burnley to a bona fide Premier League team. Luton and Sheffield United could be forgiven for going out with a whimper but Burnley should be much more competitive than this.

Yeah but Burnley have moved on from those dark ages!

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

As horrible as it is, surely Lockyer has to consider retiring on health grounds now.

That's what I thought too. For his own safety at the very least. 

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Wouldn't it be weird if it turned out Man City are the false title contender?

Yes, in seasons gone by, they have come back at Liverpool, trading ridiculous 100% winning runs.

This does feel different.

They had a bad summer. Doku looks like the only really good one so far. Gvardiol's not really been all that yet has he? Kovacic and Nunes just bizarre signings, complete downgrades.

5 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm leaving this one here. Everton was a good move for him - they had a lot of players well suited to his football as well.

Everton fans definitely thought they were above Sean Dyche a couple of years ago but I agree, I said it a couple of years ago as well

9 minutes ago, Dan said:

They had a bad summer. Doku looks like the only really good one so far. Gvardiol's not really been all that yet has he? Kovacic and Nunes just bizarre signings, complete downgrades.

How good is Doku though? He looked decent against us, I've not watched much of him apart from that. Even in that game though, he went by his man a few times and then it came to nothing. I'm not writing him off, it's a genuine question

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

How good is Doku though? He looked decent against us, I've not watched much of him apart from that. Even in that game though, he went by his man a few times and then it came to nothing. I'm not writing him off, it's a genuine question

It's early days but he's been decent. Remember him catching my eye when we played Rennes a couple of years ago and he was one of the best players on the pitch, very good one v one. Can't really knock his numbers either - 2 goals and 5 assists in under 8 nineties in the league.The others have been the problem really, they've gone downhill defensively this season. 2 clean sheets in their last 15 games in the league. I'm saying this without watching them all that much in detail though. Something very flat about them this season.