talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Jose Mourinho Sacked by Roma

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With his management style and style of play he seems too outdated to manage at a high level at club level. Should move into international management imo where his style is still relevant at the highest level

• Subscriber

He'll always be able to get a job with his reputation but you have to wonder at what point he'll stop bothering. Roma are obviously a massive club but for someone who's won the Champions League with multiple clubs to step any further down than where they are in European football is quite rare.

Let's be honest, he's been sacked a lot of times in his career but back in the day there would usually be a successful phase before things turned sour. He's essentially failed at his last few clubs without even seeing the success that comes before the fall.

All I can think that's left for him is to manage Portugal or perhaps another national team at some major tournaments but it's hard to see a place for him at club level anymore. He's just not got the recent success to be employed by the top clubs and I doubt anyone further down the pyramid than the likes of Spurs and Roma could afford him. I also think the further he gets away from the top of the game, the less effective his management style is.

I think there are 3 options ahead of him:

A) International management, where Mancini, Roberto Martinez & Southgate have all had prestigious jobs in recent times.

B) a few more clubs somewhere that are just off the very top, but I can't see him enjoying a transition to being Roy Hodgson.

C) big pay days to new audiences perhaps in MLS, or Saudi, or wherever.

A feels like the only option he could add to his CV.

I don't see Newcastle going for him if they were to get rid of Howe. They seem to have been quite sensible in their recruitment in that they haven't gone for big names who wouldn't be the right fit. 

In fact, would any of the current PL top 10 go anywhere near him now? 

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't see Newcastle going for him if they were to get rid of Howe. They seem to have been quite sensible in their recruitment in that they haven't gone for big names who wouldn't be the right fit. 

In fact, would any of the current PL top 10 go anywhere near him now? 

Squad is perfect for Mourinho imo. 

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Let's be honest, he's been sacked a lot of times in his career but back in the day there would usually be a successful phase before things turned sour. He's essentially failed at his last few clubs without even seeing the success that comes before the fall.

I don't think he's failed at Roma tbh. I honestly don't understand why Roma have sacked him. He's taken them to 2 European finals with that squad and pennies to build it, and won 1. He's only 5 points off 4th place and they've sacked him after a bad run of fixtures when Roma have a nice easy run of fixtures coming up next. Most Roma fans online also seem to think sacking him was a stupid decision and that he should have at least been given some of these matches that on paper are easier to fight for his job.

Now they're giving the job to De Rossi. Club legend and all - but he wasn't really great at SPAL. I'd be very surprised if he does more than Mourinho was doing with this squad in all honesty.

• 1 month later...
On 16/01/2024 at 19:25, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think he's failed at Roma tbh. I honestly don't understand why Roma have sacked him. He's taken them to 2 European finals with that squad and pennies to build it, and won 1. He's only 5 points off 4th place and they've sacked him after a bad run of fixtures when Roma have a nice easy run of fixtures coming up next. Most Roma fans online also seem to think sacking him was a stupid decision and that he should have at least been given some of these matches that on paper are easier to fight for his job.

Now they're giving the job to De Rossi. Club legend and all - but he wasn't really great at SPAL. I'd be very surprised if he does more than Mourinho was doing with this squad in all honesty.

I think in terms of wages they’ve spent quite a lot of money under him, they were really using the tax cut to its full advantage under him.

• Subscriber
On 16/01/2024 at 19:25, Dr. Gonzo said:

I read a pretty detailed article on his time at Roma and they had something like the 3rd biggest wage budget in the league yet never once got close to qualifying for the Champions League. But I suppose this is sort of how the game has changed and probably not for the better either - he has tangible success with them but in the league he has underachieved. He's a cup manager now I think.

I'm a fan of his and think he's become way too disrespected but it was probably the right time to part ways. Never going to be a popular decision though.

• 1 month later...
On 16/01/2024 at 14:25, Dr. Gonzo said:

Thought I read somewhere that their wage bill was 2nd in Serie A.  Certainly weren't cheaping out.

Ah, didn't read far enough.  Dan has it at 3rd highest.  Still, Mourinho dictates that you spend money.

Edited by Coma

DDR given a contract extension as well.  I like the idea of keeping him as coach but it's all going to go south eventually.  Would've been nice if he could just get them to EL final and into the CL and then walk off into the sunset.

6 hours ago, Coma said:

DDR given a contract extension as well.  I like the idea of keeping him as coach but it's all going to go south eventually.  Would've been nice if he could just get them to EL final and into the CL and then walk off into the sunset.

He's done a hell of a lot better than I expected considering the performance at SPAL, but I guess these Roma players are a hell of a lot better than his old squad. Good for him, I loved him as a player - wish him well with his managerial career.