talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 22 - 30th Jan-1st Feb 2024

3 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I just hope Diogo is fine and there aren't any problems with the knock he got. I think we're going into the Arsenal game with a team that has gained quite a lot of confidence. Also, special shout to Konate who has really played super sweeper behind Bradley allowing him to play much higher up the pitch. I was really hoping they gave Joe a crack at the penalty just to get him on the score-sheet and I am hoping this is the year he gets his first goal because even he has improved massively in the last few weeks. 

I don't think they'd have done that with the penalty at only 2-0. Don't think Nunez should have been near either though, as much as I like him. Mac Allister should have been on it

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think they'd have done that with the penalty at only 2-0. Don't think Nunez should have been near either though, as much as I like him. Mac Allister should have been on it

Just seen that's the first one Nunez has ever missed, I'll take that back

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/darwin-nunez/elfmetertore/spieler/546543

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Sterling pocketed by a 20 year old and was forced to switch sides the second half as a result, whilst that same 20 year old fled past him to score against him. 

£325kpw. :4_joy:

He and Cole Palmer were genuinely terrible. Palmer’s honestly a mystery to me - he’s so highly rated but whenever I watch him he looks bang average at best. 

7 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Every club could get turned into shit overnight by being sold to the wrong people. We've seen it time and time again. My sympathy for Chelsea is somewhat limited by the fact they're working in a system which allows them to spend hundreds of millions every window with impunity while the majority of the rest of the league are scared to even make loan signings because of the financial rules. 

Some people contort themselves into thinking that Chelsea "earn the right" to spend that money though because they sell a lot of shirts in China or their accountants were clever enough to find an amortisation loophole, that's apparently football nowadays.

It would take a lot to convince me that Todd Boehly isn't incompetent, the only thing this proves is that it doesn't matter how much you spend, but who you spend it on.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

It would take a lot to convince me that Todd Boehly isn't incompetent, the only thing this proves is that it doesn't matter how much you spend, but who you spend it on.

It's not "government orchestrated" though, is it? He obviously had the financial clout to purchase and run a football club. He hasn't been shy about providing adequate funding. The fit and proper owners test nor the government couldn't have predicted that he and/or Chelsea's board (I genuinely don't know how much Boehly himself influences how the money is spent) would have spent a billion pounds to have a mid table squad.

Chelsea will at least have ample chance to recover and try again. I'll lose my sleep over the likes of Reading before I feel remotely sorry for them.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He and Cole Palmer were genuinely terrible. Palmer’s honestly a mystery to me - he’s so highly rated but whenever I watch him he looks bang average at best. 

Was a poor game from him but he's easily been our player of the season and the best signing we've made in ages. Not going to put a lot of fault on him yesterday when he's carried the team all season. (Likely to end the season with Lampard esq numbers)

We are such a disjointed mess of a team. 7 months in players still haven't a clue in how to play. Caicedo in isolation with the other two midfielders nowhere to be seen is peak Lampard management.  Expected far better from Poch. 

Edited by Cicero

17 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Was a poor game from him but he's easily been our player of the season and the best signing we've made in ages. Not going to put a lot of fault on him yesterday when he's carried the team all season. (Likely to end the season with Lampard esq numbers)

We are such a disjointed mess of a team. 7 months in players still haven't a clue in how to play. Caicedo in isolation with the other two midfielders nowhere to be seen is peak Lampard management.  Expected far better from Poch. 

Yeah tbf whenever I watch Chelsea this season, unless you’re playing us, you’ve looked absolutely miserable. And yesterday I thought it would be a more even game because it seems like lately in this fixture form hasn’t mattered and it’s usually an even draw.

I’m sure that skews how I feel about Palmer because I hear a bit of hype about him and then I see him put in stinkers in a side putting in awful performances.

Kind of crazy to see how different we both look on the pitch. Two different approaches to spending shitloads of money and youth development… and typically we’ve looked close on the pitch but yesterday it was men against boys it seemed.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah tbf whenever I watch Chelsea this season, unless you’re playing us, you’ve looked absolutely miserable. And yesterday I thought it would be a more even game because it seems like lately in this fixture form hasn’t mattered and it’s usually an even draw.

I’m sure that skews how I feel about Palmer because I hear a bit of hype about him and then I see him put in stinkers in a side putting in awful performances.

Kind of crazy to see how different we both look on the pitch. Two different approaches to spending shitloads of money and youth development… and typically we’ve looked close on the pitch but yesterday it was men against boys it seemed.

No away from home this team is pitiful and I don't think it'll be any different unless serious changes are made. Poch on a short contract looking more and more of a blessing. 

What we saw last night defined everything wrong with Clearlake. Big money spending with nothing to show for it. 

38 minutes ago, Cicero said:

No away from home this team is pitiful and I don't think it'll be any different unless serious changes are made. Poch on a short contract looking more and more of a blessing. 

What we saw last night defined everything wrong with Clearlake. Big money spending with nothing to show for it. 

On the one hand, I think Poch is not the right man for Chelsea at all. On the other hand, I think Chelsea keep setting managers up for failure by giving them so little time to shape a team. It's made difficult though when that manager's overseeing a lot of players coming in for a lot of money and those players brought in don't perform.

But a lot of these players just look nowhere near worth the money that was spent for them. The Ukrainian lad is bang average (at best) and his fee was totally insane. Enzo looks a far cry from the player that was at the heart of a world cup winning side. There's so many expensive players that aren't up to much at Chelsea and it just makes me wonder why Chelsea are so quick to sell their academy graduates.

I have a hard time believing that these expensive players on long contracts give too many fucks about how Chelsea perform, but kids that have been with Chelsea for a long time and come through the ranks I can see them giving way more of a shit, regardless of however management changes or anything.

I think it's weird Chelsea got a new owner and didn't really change too much in their way of short term vs. long term thinking - it's basically the same strategy that Abramovich would like to use, but done as moronically as possibly.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not "government orchestrated" though, is it? He obviously had the financial clout to purchase and run a football club. He hasn't been shy about providing adequate funding. The fit and proper owners test nor the government couldn't have predicted that he and/or Chelsea's board (I genuinely don't know how much Boehly himself influences how the money is spent) would have spent a billion pounds to have a mid table squad.

Chelsea will at least have ample chance to recover and try again. I'll lose my sleep over the likes of Reading before I feel remotely sorry for them.

I think Chelsea are in some bother as another failure would start to see sponsor trigger call back clauses that reduce sponsorship,  fans of a club like Chelsea are fickle fans,  most only have affiliation to the club since the mid 2000's and will easily move on to Arsenal or Spurs.   Then of course there is the maelstrom of financial shitastrophe that awaits them.  When you buy players for 115, 105, 95m and they flop epically to break even on them Chelsea will have to sell them for near what they paid and nobody is that stupid,  if there is also a financial reigning in on spending they will be left with these overpaid players and hoping they either don't run into financial issues or turn into something useful. 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

On the one hand, I think Poch is not the right man for Chelsea at all. On the other hand, I think Chelsea keep setting managers up for failure by giving them so little time to shape a team. It's made difficult though when that manager's overseeing a lot of players coming in for a lot of money and those players brought in don't perform.

But a lot of these players just look nowhere near worth the money that was spent for them. The Ukrainian lad is bang average (at best) and his fee was totally insane. Enzo looks a far cry from the player that was at the heart of a world cup winning side. There's so many expensive players that aren't up to much at Chelsea and it just makes me wonder why Chelsea are so quick to sell their academy graduates.

I have a hard time believing that these expensive players on long contracts give too many fucks about how Chelsea perform, but kids that have been with Chelsea for a long time and come through the ranks I can see them giving way more of a shit, regardless of however management changes or anything.

I think it's weird Chelsea got a new owner and didn't really change too much in their way of short term vs. long term thinking - it's basically the same strategy that Abramovich would like to use, but done as moronically as possibly.

You can go through many of their players and I think Chelsea were just so desperate to buy the hype players before others they pulled the trigger to fast.

Enzo Fernandez has been the most disappointing given the hype he came with,  has had maybe 2 or 3 world class games the rest have been bang average.

Caicedo was always a risk  after starting last season well Caicedo faded hard in the second half of the season,  now he has a big money move that comes with perhaps to much pressure.

Cucarella,  had one good season with Brighton despite not really being successful in Spain,  they were willing to overpay on a hype player. 

Mudryk,  i think you summed it up pretty much. 

Being fair I think Badiashile and Disasi are decent signings and Madueke looks exciting but vary raw. 

In hindsight Chelsea should not have bought Cucarella, Caicedo, Mudryk, Jackson and rather spent the money on a Toney or Osihmen and maybe a Rafael Leao type. 

22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We need a complete reset... 

I appreciate that the side is a young one but they are lacking in almost every department with no real signs of improvement with 22 games gone and although occasionally it all comes together for the odd match where we do well or let's say 'get a win' because to say we do well is too much of a stretch even for me, but in these matches some players will shine and stand out but overall the levels of performance across the team have been massively inconsistent.. 

Another thing that has begun to dawn on me is whilst these players are young and have been given long contracts due to the 'potential' tag they come attached with I wonder if a lot of them are already at their maximum potential and can't improve much further?? I mean take Palmer for instance, he has been great for us so far but he is standing out in an otherwise poorly performing team and I have to wonder why Guardiola would let him go if he is such an outstanding talent?? Maybe it's because he has reached his potential with not much more room for improvement beyond what performances he is putting in now and Guardiola may have recognised that and cashed in while they could still get a good price.. 

I could be completely wrong of course and with the right management and tactics they could all suddenly be looking like superstars but I doubt it.. I said a while back that Fernandez is just looking more and more like a very, very expensive Mason Mount and what are we getting for that outlay?? not much composure in front of goal that's for sure and not many defence splitting passes. Across 22 games you might have hoped for a lot more or at least a handful of games where he was a shining light but you would be hard pushed to pick any of our games where he was influential or stood out in any way.. I may be being over critical perhaps but like you wonder why we are overlooking our academy players who would put their heart and soul in games and at least have some fight and passion for the badge which are all of the things currently missing from the squad.. 

At the moment we just look like a mish mash of players doing a lot of running about with no end product yet again like last season.. One can only hope for better going forward but I for one will not be holding my breath.. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

We need to follow Arsenal's footsteps like with sacking the bloke responsible for Pepe. 

Sack the bloke responsible for Mudryk and Madueke. 

I'm yet to be convinced that Mudryk isn't some guy that won a competition to play professional football. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Looks like minimal contact, if any. Certainly not enough for Neto to go down in such a heap. 

Tierney showcasing how truly awful he is. Should have given Chelsea one, possible two pens last night but doesn’t. Then tonight he gives a pen that was softer than both. Not that I’m complaining too much..

• The topic was unpinned