talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2023/24 Gameweek 34 - 20-25th April, 2024

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't get to go to Goodison regularly but you can tell from Twitter 2-3 times a season that there are certain sets of fans who turn up and go full Tory with the feed the scousers shouts. From what I remember Luton were another unfortunately. Whichever one of them gets flushed this season, we'll only have Leicester fans back doing the same next season by the looks of it.

Which is utterly ridiculous I hasten to add.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

It's so embarrassing for Forest, isn't it?

The implication of corruption is bad enough but I think it's the "the VAR was a Luton fan" angle that is the most shocking. I've actually seen a few figures in the media back them up on that as well. Referees and officials are clearly somewhat interested in football if that's the career path they've chosen to pursue, so chances are that they support a team. You can't . Can you imagine the precedent it would set if Forest had their request granted to remove Attwell from VAR because he's a Luton fan? There's footage of Michael Oliver somewhere wearing a Newcastle shirt and saying that he hates Everton and our fans will always mention that on social media if he ever gives a decision against us, but you can't expect him never to officiate any of our matches and I'd be absolutely mortified if Everton took to social media and started spouting off about him being biased.

This Clattenburg thing is on really shaky ground for me as well. They've employed him as a refereeing consultant. For what? Looking at his Daily Mail column last night, it looks as if he's basically being paid to use his name as a former high-profile referee to put pressure on the current officials on the club's behalf. We've seen that current and former referees aren't shy about taking up big money offers, whether it's to fly out to Qatar or UAE to referee their matches during the week or in this case, to completely embarrass themselves in the public discourse by crying corruption at an organisation that he used to be a major part of, and would have insisted didn't contain an ounce of corruption when he was on the other side of the fence. I'd feel quite dirty if I was him turning around to attack PGMOL because that's what my paymasters want from me.

The standards of refereeing in the Premier League at the moment are really horrendous and Forest were on the wrong side of it yesterday. Personally, I think all of the clubs should come together and demand better standards from PGMOL but they're all too busy looking after their own interests to take any collective action for the benefit of the fans or the competition. All of them will cry foul when it happens to them which says to me they're not really interested in better officiating overall but rather just decisions that don't go against them.

Forest haven't really gone down the "standards of officiating" route at all. They've gone down an integrity route and it won't get them anywhere, quite rightly. They need hammering for that statement yesterday.

• Subscriber

Also what I forgot to mention is the number of Luton fans commenting on it saying well we'd rather have seen a draw so VAR not giving Forest penalties was actually not in their interest xD.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I don't get to go to Goodison regularly but you can tell from Twitter 2-3 times a season that there are certain sets of fans who turn up and go full Tory with the feed the scousers shouts. From what I remember Luton were another unfortunately. Whichever one of them gets flushed this season, we'll only have Leicester fans back doing the same next season by the looks of it.

Certain sets being: every club from the midlands & every club from London except Palace & Arsenal?

6 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

On a happier note I hope you all enjoyed MOTD 2 yesterday. Its a shame that we haven't seen Olise and Eze play together more often this season as them two behind Mateta seems to be the Premier League's answer to The Harlem Globetrotters.

I always harp on about this but that summer of 2020 when we wanted Eze to take the Pablo Hernandez berth but he chose to stay in London and sign for you has almost been as much of a dagger as when we were on the verge of signing Frank Lampard and he made a late switch to Chelsea from West Ham.

Always liked him and yet he always had a blinder against us. If someone like Villa got Champions League, I could see them getting him tbh but he could literally join anyone in this league, just so good. Makes you wonder what he'd be like with that next level of player around him.

4 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I can't remember, but did our lot do that when we visited?

Would be very strange if we did, considering what Wales as a whole is like for poverty.

• Administrator

They're now denying requesting the Attwell was taken off VAR duties xDxD

What an absolute circus of a club.

Nottingham Forest did not ask for Stuart Attwell to be taken off video assistant referee duties for their match against Everton, BBC Sport has been told.

Following their 2-0 defeat at Goodison Park on Sunday, Forest posted on X, external that they are "considering their options" over "extremely poor" refereeing decisions they felt went against them.

The club said they had "warned" the Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOL) that "the VAR is a Luton fan but they didn't change him".

But, BBC Sport has also been told Forest did not express that they had an issue with Attwell's involvement.

Forest were frustrated about three penalty claims during the Premier League match, all of which involved Everton defender Ashley Young and none of which went their way.

Forest felt he caught the back of Gio Reyna's boot in attempting to make a tackle when the game was goalless before a Callum Hudson-Odoi cross struck Young on the arm late in the first half.

The third incident happened after the interval as Young challenged Hudson-Odoi from behind but the officials ruled he had won the ball cleanly.

Forest posted on X after the game: "Three extremely poor decisions - three penalties not given - which we simply cannot accept.

"Our patience has been tested multiple times."

After a series of what they saw as decisions against them, Forest hired former referee Mark Clattenburg as their referee analyst.

And the retired official wrote a column in the Mail on Sunday in which he said Forest had been "left feeling victimised after another defeat in which zero big decisions went their way".

The result leaves Forest 17th in the Premier League, one point above the relegation zone with four games remaining.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Would be very strange if we did, considering what Wales as a whole is like for poverty.

It doesn't ring a bell as far as I can remember.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Cole Palmer out for the Arsenal game @Cicero?

Not even arsed. The injuries have ravaged this season to the point where all interest is gone. 

Only interest is seeing how this lot does when Palmer isn't bailing them out. Manager included. 

3 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Pretty sure Cardiff fans when they came round to Anfield in 2022 got a lot of praise, judging by LFC twitter. So I doubt your fans would have done any poverty chanting to get that praise.

Having said that, looking at places like Luton, Leicester, Nottingham, etc... those cities having their own issues with poverty isn't really enough to stop large segments of their support from engaging in mocking poverty if Scouse teams are their opposition. But I don't think Cardiff fans coming to Anfield would be met with lots of praise on social media for their support if Cardiff fans were chanting "feed the scousers" in their thousands like a lot of other clubs do.

I think the fans that engage in that sort of behavior are absolute dickheads... but weirdly, it leads to Everton and Liverpool fans directing their anger towards making donations to food banks in those cities. So rather than feed the Scousers, the Scousers feed them. Maybe it's just fucked up reverse psychology to get some extra help with their own poverty issues.

But regardless of any accidental positive reactions these chants bring... I can't help but feel like mocking those who can't afford basic necessities - especially now as the UK is suffering through a cost of living crisis - is just a remarkably pathetic thing to do.

• Thanks 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Maybe it's just fucked up reverse psychology to get some extra help with their own poverty issues.

It's not. It's just senseless and stupid. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

What is wrong with them!?

I can't believe how many people I'm seeing on social media agreeing with them and praising them for "sticking up to the officials".

I'm all for questioning the standards of refereeing but what Forest have done, questioning the integrity, is very different. Staggering how many people think Forest are "taking a stand" and not cynically trying to create an unconscious bias in their favour by applying this much pressure on PGMOL.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I can't believe how many people I'm seeing on social media agreeing with them and praising them for "sticking up to the officials".

I'm all for questioning the standards of refereeing but what Forest have done, questioning the integrity, is very different. Staggering how many people think Forest are "taking a stand" and not cynically trying to create an unconscious bias in their favour by applying this much pressure on PGMOL.

Tbh, I'm not sure questioning the standards of the refereeing is all that different to questioning the integrity of the officials. I feel as though PMGOL has not only not done enough to protect their referees from looking like they lack integrity... I honestly think they've left open enough doors for their integrity to be in doubt that they truly have invited people questioning their integrity.

I think Forest's tweet was unhinged, I don't truly understand what a "referee analyst" does at a club other than Forest paying Mark Clattenburg to sort of rubber-stamp the unhinged messaging coming from Forest... but at the same time, I do think PMGOL having their integrity directly attacked by a club was bound to happen sooner or later and I'm not surprised by it. At the end of the day, I don't think PMGOL has anyone to blame for public accusations of referees lacking integrity than themselves.

And I don't think PMGOL makes any steps to try to restore the illusion of having referees with integrity or generally improving the performances of referees/VAR officials without getting some very public criticism that can't be ignored. Forest's tweet was unhinged, but it can't be ignored and it keeps the integrity of referees in the spotlight. At the end of the day, I don't think that's a bad thing.

If PMGOL and referees don't appreciate the heightened scrutiny and having their integrity questioned after this season... I think they've got to take corrective action to improve how they're viewed. In Forest's case with the incidents in question, I don't believe lack of integrity was the cause of the bad decisions. Everton aren't 115 Charges FC or Newcastle. But I don't blame Forest for taking advantage of the fact trust and faith in officials actually having integrity is at an all time low while they make unhinged accusations.

19 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

All this masks over the rest of the job the owners are doing at the moment. Good opportunity to hide behind this nonsense.

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbh, I'm not sure questioning the standards of the refereeing is all that different to questioning the integrity of the officials. I feel as though PMGOL has not only not done enough to protect their referees from looking like they lack integrity... I honestly think they've left open enough doors for their integrity to be in doubt that they truly have invited people questioning their integrity.

I think Forest's tweet was unhinged, I don't truly understand what a "referee analyst" does at a club other than Forest paying Mark Clattenburg to sort of rubber-stamp the unhinged messaging coming from Forest... but at the same time, I do think PMGOL having their integrity directly attacked by a club was bound to happen sooner or later and I'm not surprised by it. At the end of the day, I don't think PMGOL has anyone to blame for public accusations of referees lacking integrity than themselves.

And I don't think PMGOL makes any steps to try to restore the illusion of having referees with integrity or generally improving the performances of referees/VAR officials without getting some very public criticism that can't be ignored. Forest's tweet was unhinged, but it can't be ignored and it keeps the integrity of referees in the spotlight. At the end of the day, I don't think that's a bad thing.

If PMGOL and referees don't appreciate the heightened scrutiny and having their integrity questioned after this season... I think they've got to take corrective action to improve how they're viewed. In Forest's case with the incidents in question, I don't believe lack of integrity was the cause of the bad decisions. Everton aren't 115 Charges FC or Newcastle. But I don't blame Forest for taking advantage of the fact trust and faith in officials actually having integrity is at an all time low while they make unhinged accusations.

It is very different. The fact they've mentioned he's a Luton fan on VAR is one step away from alluding to match fixing.

The truth is that referees getting too many decisions wrong is distorting results far too often and PGMOL need to make fewer mistakes. Forest are suggesting by bringing the guy's Luton allegiances into it that there's a deliberate element to it.

Forest, just like every other club, are only upset because the decisions went against them. They don't give a fuck if the officials are incompetent until it affects them in a negative way. Until the clubs in the Premier League get together and put a vote of no confidence in PGMOL together or something then I won't take any one of them seriously when they start cry-arsing like this. All it is is them trying to twist it in their favour for the next match.

• The topic was unpinned