talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Player of the Season Shortlist

Screenshot_20240509_123815_Slack.thumb.jpg.5cd3bb43531041ce82ff21f6103bd218.jpg

Surprised Isak made the shortlist given the amount of football he's missed.

I can only assume Van Dijk made the shortlist to stop Liverpool fans being outraged that all there players have been overlooked. Saliba and Gabriel have been far better in that position.

43 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Screenshot_20240509_123815_Slack.thumb.jpg.5cd3bb43531041ce82ff21f6103bd218.jpg

Surprised Isak made the shortlist given the amount of football he's missed.

I can only assume Van Dijk made the shortlist to stop Liverpool fans being outraged that all there players have been overlooked. Saliba and Gabriel have been far better in that position.

Mental that Van Dijk got in over those two. From that list I’d go with Rice.

I don't agree with Virgil being on the player of the season shortlist tbh... but I also think it's mental Harvey Elliott hasn't even been shortlisted for the YPOTS considering the season he's had.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't agree with Virgil being on the player of the season shortlist tbh... but I also think it's mental Harvey Elliott hasn't even been shortlisted for the YPOTS considering the season he's had.

Of the 8 players selected, who would you take out? 

Isn’t he too old for YPOTS? What is the age limit anyway? Is it 21?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

Isn’t he too old for YPOTS? What is the age limit anyway? Is it 21?

23 or younger at start of the season. 

He's younger than Cole Palmer, just turned 21 in April.

I don’t know anyone’s age, I still think I’m 28

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I don’t know anyone’s age, I still think I’m 28

I stopped caring about my age once I turned 25 because everything after that is just a different shade of "old"

No Gabriel or Saliba is crazy (especially Gabriel) but I think they just didn't want 3 from one club. Probably why Rodri was left off as well.

Haaland scores goals but he really hasn't played that well this season. Without the creative players around him his numbers would've really suffered in my opinion. When it comes to team of the season, both Isak & Watkins should be considered in front of him.

38 minutes ago, 6666 said:

No Gabriel or Saliba is crazy (especially Gabriel) but I think they just didn't want 3 from one club. Probably why Rodri was left off as well.

Haaland scores goals but he really hasn't played that well this season. Without the creative players around him his numbers would've really suffered in my opinion. When it comes to team of the season, both Isak & Watkins should be considered in front of him.

Agree with all this. I'd probably have swapped out Virgil for Saliba & Rodri for Haaland.

From this shortlist, I'd probably give it to POTS to Rice or Foden & YPOTS to Palmer though and I'm not sure that changes even if these shortlists are "corrected" to properly reflect the players that have been the best players of the season. Although tbh, while I hate Rodri, I think it's hard to say he's not been one of the best players - so maybe I'd actually be between Rice or Rodri.

I think Rice has done really well though and in less than a year I've gone from thinking he's tremendously overrated to thinking "shit, he's actually really really good."

• Subscriber

Should be Foden.

The young player of the year award is totally defunct. Say it every year but it should be limited to players with less than a full season's worth of Premier League starts before that season. Having the likes of Saka and Haaland on that shortlist just makes it a second POTY award. Give some recognition to those who have had their breakout year. Palmer would still make that list and deservedly walk the award by the way.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Palmer definitely for YPOTS.

Declan still wins it for me even if City win the league. Phoden has been massive but Rice has been superb in the position he plays and has really done quite a lot to stuff opposition teams overturning situations as well. The league isn't just won by goals scored even if that is the sole metric that puts points on the board.