talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Copa America USA 2024

On 08/07/2024 at 18:22, Redcanuck said:

James is 33 next week, will he still be on theirbteam two years from now?

Cristiano Ronaldo (39 years old, Portugal), Pepe (41 years old, Portugal), Luka Modric (38 years old, Croatia), Jesus Navas (38 years old, Spain) etc. are all performing for their respective national teams at international level at major competitions. I am sure that James will be fine playing for Colombia at the 2026 World Cup at 35 years of age.

Edited by Michael

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Cristiano Ronaldo (39 years old, Portugal), Pepe (41 years old, Portugal), Luka Modric (38 years old, Croatia), Jesus Navas (38 years old, Spain) etc. are all performing for their respective national teams at international level at major competitions. I am sure that James will be fine playing for Colombia at the 2026 World Cup at 35 years of age.

The players you mentioned were or are playing in a top league, For some of us it was a surprise that James was still playing. He's been great in this tournament but I thought he had retired.   But then again he really hadn't done much in Europe for 7 orr 8 years.  Maybe the long rest is why he looks so good at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yes, he’s a fucking lunatic. He’s probably going to get a long ban.

I don't think he was the only one.  The area where the families of the Uruguayan players were seated didn't have much or any security around them and the players supposedly went into stands to protect their families from Colombian fans.

Edited by Redcanuck

Before I went to Girona/Costa Brava the other week, I was going to stick a tenner on Colombia and Argentina reaching final, as they were giving nice odds considering the strong possibility of it happening. I didn't  bother and then the odds dropped when I got back. I wish I had placed it now as it would have been £160 today.

13 minutes ago, Redcanuck said:

I don't think he was the only one.  The area where the families of the Uruguayan players were seated didn't have much or any security around them and the players supposedly went into stands to protect their families from Colombian fans.

I think Nunez and the Uruguay players jumped into the stands after their families were moved away from them.

Doesn’t really bode well for the North America World Cup, although better to have it happen now and learn from this.

The police in that video are wildly useless though.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Doesn’t really bode well for the North America World Cup, although better to have it happen now and learn from this.

Pitches are too narrow and shit. Injuries waiting to happen.

Officiating is off the railers. Letting a lot of fouls go. 

Security poor. 

Really hope the WC isn't like that. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think Nunez and the Uruguay players jumped into the stands after their families were moved away from them.

The police in that video are wildly useless though.

Gimenez said in his post-game interview that he and other uruguayan players were trying to protect their families from attacking colombian fans. 

Anyway, between the smaller dimension of the pitches and the incredibly high price of tickets, this Copa America has been a mess.

It's just another money-grabbing competiton organized by Alejandro Dominguez.

They should have used MLS instead of NFL stadiums. 

In my opinion, a format similar to the 2020 Euros should be adopted, without a single host, considering how expensive and difficult it is for fans to travel inside South America. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Officiating is off the railers. Letting a lot of fouls go. 

I think the officiating will be better just because we won't have the CONMEBOL refs be the only refs in the world cup. @Stan and @The Palace Fan will be pleased to know me watching the Copa America has given me an appreciation for the shite refs of the prem, because as bad as they are... holy shit, they are so much better than these refs that CONMEBOL's picked as their best refs to attend this tournament.

From a security standpoint, I suspect FIFA's going to be better about organising things than things have been for this year's Copa America. But one thing FIFA doesn't really control is the actual police officers meant to be keeping things safe. Watching those Charlotte cops just stand there and do absolutely nothing to calm that situation was a bit fucked lol.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

They should have used MLS instead of NFL stadiums. 

I suspect they went with NFL stadiums to make the most money they could do that for cash-grabbing purposes, because the capacities of MLS stadiums compared to NFL stadiums is tiny when you actually compare them. I'm pretty sure the world cup is mostly going to be using NFL stadiums too (if not entirely using NFL stadiums).

There will be a half-time show with Shakira performing. 

Apparently, the half-time could take up to 25 minutes. 

What a complete joke. 

Honestly, I admire american sports culture. I follow MLB and I am a huge LA Dodgers fan. But trying to completely change south american football tradition just to get some extra dollars is truly abhorrent. 

All Conmebol will achieve is turning the final into a poor version of the Super Bowl. 

The "Latino Super Bowl" will obviously have all kinds of organizational issues and a fight at the end of the match. 😅

Edited by El Profesor

Less than 1 hour for kickoff and fans can't get into the stadium. 

Large numbers of colombians tried to get inside without tickets and the police closed all entrances. 

It sums up the mess that this tournament is.

Hopefully nothing else happens.

1 hour ago, El Profesor said:

Less than 1 hour for kickoff and fans can't get into the stadium. 

Large numbers of colombians tried to get inside without tickets and the police closed all entrances. 

It sums up the mess that this tournament is.

Hopefully nothing else happens.

I've noticed that MLS games are often delayed as well.

I'm not staying up for it either now. I was thinking of it, but fuck that now.

7 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I've noticed that MLS games are often delayed as well.

I'm not staying up for it either now. I was thinking of it, but fuck that now.

If it's late here, imagine in Europe. haha I was excited to watch the final, but I have to work tomorrow. 😅

What the heck, man? 

No wonder we latin americans get a bad rep in the US. 

Appaling behavior. 

• Administrator

For what I've been able to watch I'm impressed with how much intensity has been shown by both teams. It's breathless just watching it. 

And has Martinez got the winner? 

The pitches and the heat will definitely be an issue. Lost track of how many players have lost their footing this tournament resulting in no contact injuries. Messi's ankle was the size of a bowling ball. 

As far as security in organising an event and the state of the officiating, this is on CONEMBOL, no?

8 hours ago, Cicero said:

The pitches and the heat will definitely be an issue. Lost track of how many players have lost their footing this tournament resulting in no contact injuries. Messi's ankle was the size of a bowling ball. 

As far as security in organising an event and the state of the officiating, this is on CONEMBOL, no?

Most of the problems are definitely Conmebol's fault. 

But in the specific case of the final, I don't understand why the Miami police didn't set a large security ring around the stadium so fans without tickets wouldn't get close to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2024 at 12:54, Dr. Gonzo said:

I suspect they went with NFL stadiums to make the most money they could do that for cash-grabbing purposes, because the capacities of MLS stadiums compared to NFL stadiums is tiny when you actually compare them. I'm pretty sure the world cup is mostly going to be using NFL stadiums too (if not entirely using NFL stadiums).

Yes, I believe the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami has a capacity of around 65,000. I believe all NFL stadiums have capacities of over 60,000. MLS stadiums are much smaller in comparison. The Chase Stadium that Inter Miami CF plays in has a capacity of around 21,000.

There are five stadiums in the USA that are called home by both an NFL football team and an MLS soccer club. These are the following:

Gillette Stadium
Bank of America Stadium
Mercedes Benz Stadium
Soldier Field
Lumen Field