talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(SF) Netherlands 1-2 England - Wednesday 10th July, 2024

• The title was changed to (SF) Netherlands 1-2 England - Wednesday 10th July, 2024
1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I thought you'd been going to the gym for the last few years?

What makes you say that 

The teams best performance of the tournament, even if the second half was a bit meh. They will have to step up a fair few notches to have a chance on Sunday. 

• Subscriber

England were clearly better tonight than they have been but it's a crime against football that Gareth Southgate is a two-time European Championship finalist as a manager and potentially a winner xD.

Sense says that Spain will clobber England in the final based on performances to this point but Southgate is so jammy, England have been so jammy throughout this tournament and continued to play just shit enough to be infuriating but not actually lose, you just never know...

1 minute ago, Redcanuck said:

Man you are bitter.

Umm. Brother, it's a fact? I have added no special sauce. You're allowed to be happy if you're English, we're football fans, we take them how we can get them. But as usual, no one will have a real argument against
Your 1st goal was an awful refereeing decision that has changed the outcome of the game
Your 2nd goal was in injury time with no time for the Dutch to respond after they had the better of a turgid and uninspiring 2nd half. It was an absolute smash and grab.

2 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

England were clearly better tonight than they have been but it's a crime against football that Gareth Southgate is a two-time European Championship finalist as a manager and potentially a winner xD.

Sense says that Spain will clobber England in the final based on performances to this point but Southgate is so jammy, England have been so jammy throughout this tournament and continued to play just shit enough to be infuriating but not actually lose, you just never know...

This about sums my position up. Nothing in football is a forgone conclusion, but Spain, hungry, in a final, should dogwalk this England side, even if they reach the level they did at times today in the first half.

Here is the thing. There is no grand scheme, England and the teams they’ve played have all performed poorly with negative and cynical tactics, so the team with the most quality will go through and that’s England, they have a great selection of players.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Your 2nd goal was in injury time with no time for the Dutch to respond after they had the better of a turgid and uninspiring 2nd half. It was an absolute smash and grab.

Debatable. 

Not sure Dutch had the better of that half. They just closed up and became more narrow and compact and it became quite cagey for a while. Netherlands didn't make Pickford work barring the Van Dijk shot from a good free kick. 

Subs were better from Southgate considering two of them had an impact on the game with the 2nd goal. 

As for 1st goal, don't think you'll see anyone disagree that it wasn't a penalty. But the performance itself warranted more than going into half time level. In my humble opinion of course. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Debatable. 

Not sure Dutch had the better of that half. They just closed up and became more narrow and compact and it became quite cagey for a while. Netherlands didn't make Pickford work barring the Van Dijk shot from a good free kick. 

Subs were better from Southgate considering two of them had an impact on the game with the 2nd goal. 

As for 1st goal, don't think you'll see anyone disagree that it wasn't a penalty. But the performance itself warranted more than going into half time level. In my humble opinion of course. 

I am. I watched the whole thing. England, bar the offside, offered literally nothing. The Dutch were dangerous from set pieces and had a couple of counters that required cynical fouls, and even a trio of  real chances, VVD the one that Weghorst should have done better with, and the one that was cleared awfully to Xavi. I'm not saying the Dutch annihilated you or anything, but they were the better value. 

Sure, I have already said at half time the 1-1 was warranted, but that's not how football works. You get what you get, not what you deserved (god knows that's why you're in the final)

Here's a thought experiment for the class who are gonna downplay that 1st England goal. Imagine in that chance when Weghorst and Ghuehi are wrestling when it bounces off Ghuehis arm, that a pen is given, and the Dutch win 2-1. And I was parading about going 'well sure it's not ever a pen, but the Dutch were better so it's fine'. 

Edited by Devil-Dick Willie

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I am. I watched the whole thing. England, bar the offside, offered literally nothing. The Dutch were dangerous from set pieces and had a couple of counters that required cynical fouls, and even a trio of  real chances, VVD the one that Weghorst should have done better with, and the one that was cleared awfully to Xavi. I'm not saying the Dutch annihilated you or anything, but they were the better value. 

Sure, I have already said at half time the 1-1 was warranted, but that's not how football works. You get what you get, not what you deserved (god knows that's why you're in the final)

Here's a thought experiment for the class who are gonna downplay that 1st England goal. Imagine in that chance when Weghorst and Ghuehi are wrestling when it bounces off Ghuehis arm, that a pen is given, and the Dutch win 2-1. And I was parading about going 'well sure it's not ever a pen, but the Dutch were better so it's fine'. 

I don't think the Dutch were that much better, if at all though? Van Dijk's chance the only clear one. Weghorst didn't even get a shot off? Simons mishit his. Pickford wasn't really tested barring the first one out of that trio.

I'm happy to agree to disagree. Like earlier I can't be arsed with arguing or debating that strongly. I don't have the energy xD

• Like 1

Thought Southgate had left it too late with the subs when it was obvious we needed them much sooner but Palmer and Watkins pulling it out of the bag very late on.. Much better performance in the first half from us but went back in our shells in the second... 

Spain are going to be tough but maybe we can finally have that one really good game in us and win a game we won't be expected to win... 

• The topic was unpinned
6 minutes ago, Spike said:

He called you skinny, mate. Bash his head in. One punch can kill, remember this like Yoda talking shit to Luke.

I thought he called me fat. So I'm okay with that. 

• Haha 2