talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Gareth Southgate Leaving England

• Administrator

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c978e37ld7ro

England manager Gareth Southgate has resigned after a second consecutive European Championship final defeat.

The Three Lions lost 2-1 to Spain in Berlin on Sunday, having been beaten on penalties by Italy at Wembley three years ago.

The 53-year-old managed his country for 102 games in eight years in charge. His contract was set to expire later this year.

"As a proud Englishman, it has been the honour of my life to play for England and to manage England," said Southgate.

"It has meant everything to me, and I have given it my all.

"But it’s time for change, and for a new chapter."

Southgate is the only manager bar 1966 World Cup winner Sir Alf Ramsey to lead the England men's team into a major tournament final.

He managed England at four major tournaments, also reaching the World Cup semi-finals in 2018 and quarter-finals in 2022.

Pressure mounted on him this summer, with many fans believing he was not getting enough out of a talented group of attacking players.

Some supporters threw plastic cups at him after the 0-0 draw with Slovenia, which secured England's place in the knockout phase.

However, he got many of them back onside with their run to the final.

"The squad we took to Germany is full of exciting young talent and they can win the trophy we all dream of," added Southgate.

"We have the best fans in the world, and their support has meant the world to me. I’m an England fan and I always will be.

"I look forward to watching and celebrating as the players go on to create more special memories and to connect and inspire the nation as we know they can.

"Thank you, England – for everything."

I think it's the right time for change. 

I'm sure as the years go on he will be remembered as the man who changed the culture amongst the players as opposed to being the bridesmaid in finals. If he stayed another tournament I'm worried his legacy would have been tainted.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I don't think they will be short of applicants. That's an exciting job to have. 

I think there's a fair few that would be considered - Tuchel, Howe, Pochettino & Potter are high up as a bookies favourite apparently. 

8 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I'm sure as the years go on he will be remembered as the man who changed the culture amongst the players as opposed to being the bridesmaid in finals. If he stayed another tournament I'm worried his legacy would have been tainted.

Agreed. He's done enough to be remembered as a positive influence on the national team. Gutting that we haven't won (yet) with this crop of players, but he's got us to 2 Euros finals and a World Cup semi. The years/tournaments before that couldn't boast that record so it was a positive trajectory.

I hope they at least speak to Klopp and Poch before they go English or promote Carsley. Given how many years they're worked in England, I don't think there would be the same disconnect we had with Capello and (to a lesser extent) Sven.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, The Palace Fan said:

I hope they at least speak to Klopp and Poch before they go English or promote Carsley. Given how many years they're worked in England, I don't think there would be the same disconnect we had with Capello and (to a lesser extent) Sven.

Sorry mate, Klopp is taking the USA job.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

We weren't even the bridesmades to be fair. I think you could argue he's been our second best manager. First manager since alf ramsey to win a knockout not on home soil against a big team. Personally I'd like to see Carsley given a go 

Edited by Gunnersaurus

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I don't think they will be short of applicants. That's an exciting job to have. 

It's gonna be a lot of pressure though. If we loose to Argentina, France or Spain in the world cup it may be considered exceptable. But anything less than that would be considered a big failure. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Klopp yes, Poch no, Poch has won nowt as a manager, mind you my old man would roll over in his grave if Klopp got the job, Klopp being German and my old man fought them in WWll.

I can remember when we lived in Australia, West Germany knocked England out of the 1970 World Cup after leading Germany 2-0 and then losing 3-2, my old man was raging and I can remember him pissed as a newt and yelling "OF ALL THE FUCKING TEAMS TO LOSE TO IT HAD TO BE THE GERMANS!!!!!" xD

What made it worse was I was dating a young German lady at the time then and never told him, serving in WWll can do funny things to people. O.o

It is definitely the right time. Gareth Southgate OBE has done a fantastic job. Ignoring the internal & external noise around what England should or should not be achieving. In 2018 personally I had near zero expectations. And we kind of part fluked (by winner standards) our way to a semi final. With a side featuring Eric Dier, Dele Alli & Raheem Sterling. At Euro 2021 we beat Croatia & Germany (yes, at home) on our way to a convincing final appearance, where with just a little more of something, we could have won. The 2022 defeat to France was not an embarrassment. Just a return to our usually expected level. When we come up against that team. But this year, this tournament, expectations were as high as I can remember. We looked totally unconvincing on our way to the final, and even getting to 1-1 in the final. To me, that is a tournament that screams very loudly that the squad of players are exceptional. Bellingham. Foden. Palmer. Saka. If someone can organise & deploy them in the right way. The defence may change most, but not much wrong with a back 4 or Trent, Konsa, Branthwaite & Guehi. With Trent essentially as wing back. Looking around at what others have to offer. England are a genuine contender. Against anyone. Anywhere. It would be foolish not see that. I think Southgate does. I think it's the best choice at the correct moment, for him, for the sides future chances. Over to the FA now to get the new choice spot on.

10 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Were the expectations high for this tournament? England went in off the back of one win in five and a humbling performance and result against Iceland. I’d say 2021 and 22 there were more expectations than this time around. 

Are you suggesting this squad of Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Saka, Rice, Stones, Mainoo, Gordon, etc, unconvincingly reached the final & unconvincingly got to 1-1 in the final because they are quarter final at best level players & Southgate's tactics dragged them much further than they merit?

It would be a very unique take, wherever you read about it right now.. 

As a teen I had Southgate's name & number on the back of my Villa shirt. In 1996/97. I was sad to see Bobby Robson & Terry Venables leave England. I can understand it that's just kind of where you are coming from. 

• Subscriber

It's the right time. He's easily been the best England manager of my lifetime and I'll not take that away from him - the thing that causes the debate is that those who proceeded him were all total failures in the job.

The bar has been raised but I can't help but think it was a tournament too many. Euro 2024 was a poor showing despite somehow making the final.

Fair fucks though, could've easily stayed on and chose not to. I do wish him well.

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

Are you suggesting this squad of Bellingham, Foden, Palmer, Saka, Rice, Stones, Mainoo, Gordon, etc, unconvincingly reached the final & unconvincingly got to 1-1 in the final because they are quarter final at best level players & Southgate's tactics dragged them much further than they merit?

It would be a very unique take, wherever you read about it right now.. 

As a teen I had Southgate's name & number on the back of my Villa shirt. In 1996/97. I was sad to see Bobby Robson & Terry Venables leave England. I can understand it that's just kind of where you are coming from. 

No, I’m not suggesting that but off the back of one win in five, a quarter final defeat in the last major tournament and question marks over how the squad and coaching staff dealt with the 2021 final, expectation wasn’t that high. My take is that there certainly seemed to be many less convinced that England would win it this year compared to both the Euros in 2021 and the World Cup in 2022 and there was much more discontent and (undue) anger/frustation with Gareth Southgate before a ball was kicked and that the expectation was not as high as a result of this. 

I think Southgate has missed a trick in not winning a WC or Euros. He certainly has had the luck of the drew in 2 competitions. But during his reign quite a few of the other international sides have been in transition and generally below their usual standards.

Anyway, now Newcastle might be able to do what they've always planned to do long-term and get rid off Eddie Howe.

12 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Who should the new manager ditch from the current Euro squad? I'd say it's time to move om from Walker, Trippier and Kane.

Moving on from one of the best strikers in the world would be insane. He clearly wasn't fully fit at these EURO and shouldn't be judged by that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Who should the new manager ditch from the current Euro squad? I'd say it's time to move om from Walker, Trippier and Kane.

I don't think anyone thinks England should stop playing kane. Even in a bad tournament he still was the joint highest goal scorer. And he still has at least one more tournament left possibly two