• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Paris Olympics 2024

football forums

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Probably the best British athlete of my generation

Hmm. 

Chris Hoy. Max Whitlock. Laura Trott. Bradley Wiggins. Jason Kenny. Duncan Scott. 

Arguably all better as athletes than Murray. Probably a few others I've missed. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Hmm. 

Chris Hoy. Max Whitlock. Laura Trott. Bradley Wiggins. Jason Kenny. Duncan Scott. 

Arguably all better as athletes than Murray. Probably a few others I've missed. 

Yeah good point actually. I suppose you could argue Lewis Hamilton is the best of this generation considering he's won a record number of titles.

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

"The big 4". 

Except number 4 was sooooooooooooo far behind the others he could barely see them. He had a decent record against Federer The slowest and most 'skillful'. Nadal and Novak killed him at every opportunity. He was held aloft with Djokovic, Federer and Nadal, despite being MUCH closer in stature (and even inferior to) the likes of Wawrinka, Cilic, Ferrer and Del Potro.

Murray is nowhere near the other three but neither were any of those guys you've mentioned close to him. He spent most of that era ahead of at least one of the big three in the world rankings. Murray under performed in terms of grand slam titles but if you look deeper into his results in Masters 1000, end of year championships, Olympic titles, and the fact he made it to the #1 ranking it tells a different story about his career. He even won the Davis Cup with a GB team who had no other top 50 singles players and a doubles team so bad that he had to play that with his brother as well more often than not.

Ferrer and Cilic xD. Sorry but that take is as embarrassing as the people who convince themselves Murray stacks up anywhere near to Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. Wawrinka is the only one of those named that have any claim to being equal to Murray and that's only if your analysis goes as deep as "how many slams did he win?". Murray's career wipes the floor with his by any other measure. I don't know how you can even pretend to claim that Murray is in any way "even inferior to" any of those players you've named. There's not even a debate there.

Your analysis just cries out a belief that tennis is only played for 8 weeks a year at the majors. Yes they're the most important tournaments, yes anyone who still tries to claim that Murray belongs in a top four are massively over-reaching but anyone who tries to pretend that he's anything like David fucking Ferrer in stature is over-reaching just as much.

Germany's women through to the quarter finals. Pretty poor first half where almost every player was playing below their potential. A lot of improvement in the 2nd half. Just worrying that one starting center back got injured in warm-up, and the other one had to be substituted after 20 minutes. So both starting CB's are injured. Hopefully not too bad. 

2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Tommy if Canada win today they will get through despite having a 6 point deduction which is quite impresive!!!

I heard about their point deduction but wasn't aware of the situation in their league. That's amazing. Also imagine going out against a team that had 6 points deducted. Couldn't even capitalise a head start. xD

• Administrator

Enjoying the Olympics so far. Been a decent watch once the opening ceremony was out of the way. 

Lots of good moments so far in some of the gymnastics and especially the swimming. And plenty of Athletics still to come. Not even a week in yet! 

15 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Murray is nowhere near the other three but neither were any of those guys you've mentioned close to him. He spent most of that era ahead of at least one of the big three in the world rankings. Murray under performed in terms of grand slam titles but if you look deeper into his results in Masters 1000, end of year championships, Olympic titles, and the fact he made it to the #1 ranking it tells a different story about his career. He even won the Davis Cup with a GB team who had no other top 50 singles players and a doubles team so bad that he had to play that with his brother as well more often than not.

Ferrer and Cilic xD. Sorry but that take is as embarrassing as the people who convince themselves Murray stacks up anywhere near to Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. Wawrinka is the only one of those named that have any claim to being equal to Murray and that's only if your analysis goes as deep as "how many slams did he win?". Murray's career wipes the floor with his by any other measure. I don't know how you can even pretend to claim that Murray is in any way "even inferior to" any of those players you've named. There's not even a debate there.

Your analysis just cries out a belief that tennis is only played for 8 weeks a year at the majors. Yes they're the most important tournaments, yes anyone who still tries to claim that Murray belongs in a top four are massively over-reaching but anyone who tries to pretend that he's anything like David fucking Ferrer in stature is over-reaching just as much.

I think Stan, in his short peak, was as good as Murray at his much longer peak. Based on the tennis not the titles either. 

I don't think Cilic and Ferrer are as good as Murray, don't twist my words, I just think they're closer to him than he is to the big 3 however. And that's a hill I'm more than ready to die on. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I think Stan, in his short peak, was as good as Murray at his much longer peak. Based on the tennis not the titles either. 

I don't think Cilic and Ferrer are as good as Murray, don't twist my words, I just think they're closer to him than he is to the big 3 however. And that's a hill I'm more than ready to die on. 

You said "or even inferior to" originally which is where I thought you were over reaching. I'm glad we can agree now though.

• Like 1

Look at him. No special gear, hands in pocket, not a care in the world. Wins silver. All that's missing is a cigarette in his mouth. xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunnersaurus said:

Just watched abit of the walking race. I think they should play is this the way to Amarillo in the background. 

Didn't watch this time, yet always was amused seeing them. The rule they always have to touch the ground with at least one foot led to way of movement that reminds me of a group of ducks waddling. Didn't say this to take away from their sporting performance, just a random association.

8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Didn't watch this time, yet always was amused seeing them. The rule they always have to touch the ground with at least one foot led to way of movement that reminds me of a group of ducks waddling. Didn't say this to take away from their sporting performance, just a random association.

It's fucking hard I'm sure of that. The girl who got silver could barely stand at the end. I found it quite enjoyable actually I was surprised. 

What's going on with the snowflakes mad at this female boxer who's trans but not trans because she's just a manly woman?

Should she compete? Should he not compete?

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, 6666 said:

What's going on with the snowflakes mad at this female boxer who's trans but not trans because she's just a manly woman?

She has a medical condition where she has higher testosterone than most women. She isn't trans and people peddling this lie are absolute morons. She's Algerian, and it's illegal to even be homosexual in Algeria so you won't see them sending a trans woman to represent them in the Olympic games.

This woman has boxed women her whole life and lost plenty of times to other women, including at the last Olympics. It's never been an issue until now. The Italian opponent has blown it up as an issue and then you get people like JK Rowling with massive platforms tweeting out incorrect information to 30 million people about men competing in women's sports when that isn't the case.

The sticking point is that she failed some sort of gender test in a different competition last year because of the extra testosterone. I don't know enough about boxing to say for sure whether she should be competing but she certainly hasn't done anything wrong. My feeling is that there are many women in sport who have biological advantages over others. Serena Williams could do things on a tennis court that 99.9% of women never could with any amount of training, for example.

Whatever the appropriate response is, I can tell you that it's not to get hysterical over trans women who are biological men competing against biological women at the Olympics because that has still never happened as of today and JK Rowling and her army of transphobic supporters are getting scared and upset by the bogeyman (again).

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
35 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

In the case of stan the man, yes. 

Eh, Wawrinka was practically the GOAT on his day but he won 16 titles in his whole career. 3 grand slams out of 16 career titles is a massive anomaly. Fair play for turning up on the big occasions but there's something to be said for consistency too. 

15 hours ago, 6666 said:

I think the level of ignorance we are seeing and people willingly allowing misinformation to spread on social media is a very, very big concern for the future. 

It's a complicated situation. Apparently intersex people aren't allowed to compete at the World Championships but are allowed to at the Olympics. 

• Upvote 2

• Subscriber
On 31/07/2024 at 23:35, El Profesor said:

Judo has become one of the worst olympic sports to watch.

So many small and complicated rules, almost all fights are decided by the judges.

Once you get past the lower weight classes its more about how many fouls or attacks you put in vs actually watching players get an Ippon or show some skill. Granted there are pockets of good fights in there but its very rare. 

Germany's women won against Canada after penalties. Really a weird game again. First half was decent, and we looked very superior against Canada, but didn't manage to score. In the 2nd half we completely lost the plot and Canada looked much better and were close to scoring. 

The penalty shootout was class though. Ann-Katrin Berger saved two penalties (almost three) and scored the winning penalty herself. After all she's been through, after beating cancer twice, and being such a likeable person, you just have to feel super happy for her!