talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2024/25 - Gameweek 2 - 24-25th August, 2024

• Administrator

1200px-Premier_League_Logo.svg.png

all kick-offs 15.00 (BST) unless stated

Saturday 24th August, 2024
Brighton vs Man Utd, 12.30 (live on TNT)

Crystal Palace vs West Ham
Fulham vs Leicester
Man City vs Ipswich
Southampton vs Nottm Forest
Spurs vs Everton

Aston Villa vs Arsenal, 17.30 (live on Sky)

Sunday 25th August, 2024
Bournemouth vs Newcastle, 14.00 (live on Sky)
Wolves vs Chelsea, 14.00

Liverpool vs Brentford, 16.30 (live on Sky)

• Subscriber

We're in big trouble this weekend. Branthwaite injured, Tarkowski a doubt, all three of our right backs unavailable and Garner still injured.

Our back four is going to be Holgate, Keane, O'Brien and Mykolenko. Going to be a long afternoon.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The one thing Dyche's ugly football is supposed to bring you is a team that's difficult to break down. If he can't give Everton that then what's the point?

We lost 6-0 to Chelsea last season and followed it up with 13 points out of a possible 15. It's Spurs away. These results happen. Ange took over a top 6 Premier League side and has had about £200m worth of signings to bolster it. Dyche took over a team in the relegation zone, scraped survival, had to sell players and replace them with free transfers and loans. We have 14 first team players available going into this match. A 19 year old debutant at right back, Tarkowski barely passed a fitness test this morning as well. Everton are a bottom six side and for Spurs/Arsenal/Liverpool away, losing 3-0 is about par.

We did this last season. Lost to Fulham at home in the opener, lost 4-0 at Villa then lost at home to Wolves as well. We were fine and I'm yet to see why I should be worried that we won't be again.

14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Also if anyone doubts that Branthwaite is worth the £70m we wanted off Man Utd for him then just look at the drop-off in our defensive record these last two games xD.

Branthwaite is probably worth the 60-70m asking price,  Guehi not so much. 

Aston Villa were a touch the better side before the opener but they wasted a couple of great chances and Raya made an incredible save. After Trossard scored the opener with his first touch, the game was pretty much over.

A good win against a side we've struggled against and another clean sheet.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Also if anyone doubts that Branthwaite is worth the £70m we wanted off Man Utd for him then just look at the drop-off in our defensive record these last two games xD.

Your defensive options don't look that terrible on paper. The midfield seems to be lacking options and the attack has numbers but not anyone that I'd say is reliable. A weirdly put together squad.

Nketiah for £30m would've really been a good idea for Everton. Don't know why you spent £20m on Ndiaye.

Disappointing, as Villa could easily have been 2-0 up. But Arsenal took their chances. Could grumble about Watkins not really being at it yet. Or the no replacement of Diaby.

But Villa have a run of games ahead, through to end of October, which in many ways carry more significance than one against a likely title contender.

Leicester (a) Everton (h) Wolves (h) Ipswich (a) Man United (h) Fulham (a) Bournemouth (h) I think it's fair to say Villa will be judged on how they go over games like those. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, 6666 said:

Your defensive options don't look that terrible on paper. The midfield seems to be lacking options and the attack has numbers but not anyone that I'd say is reliable. A weirdly put together squad.

Nketiah for £30m would've really been a good idea for Everton. Don't know why you spent £20m on Ndiaye.

Well Calvert-Lewin seems to be fucking us over in the striker position because he won't sign the contract he's been offered and when Newcastle came in for him his representatives wanted wages of 140k a week or something so they quite rightly got scared off. Buying Nketiah for that sort of fee when we've got some depth there, even if the quality is lacking between Calvert-Lewin, Beto and Chermiti, would have been absolutely ludicrous if we'd not sold Calvert-Lewin first. I dread to think what wages Nketiah is on coming from Arsenal as well.

I think we've spent all our money unless we make a sale. Ndiaye was an important purchase because Doucoure is our only option to play behind the striker and even he doesn't really play there naturally.

Our defensive record last season was generally really good. Pickford was 2nd in the golden glove, admittedly because one or two top sides alternated goalkeepers but still. Without looking it up we can't have been far from the top five. Today is a poor showing but it's Spurs away with a teenage debutant at right back and a central defensive pairing without Branthwaite and Tarkowski only passing a late fitness test. It's shit but I'm not going to panic and jump to conclusions over it.