talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League 2024/25 - Gameweek 3 - 31st Aug-1st Sept, 2024

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Maybe fuming was too harsh. But very annoyed if he's on my team not finishing it! Obviously not gonna change the result or outcome, so it'll be short lived, but just take the goal, don't take the piss. 

Is this the one he should have hit but tried to walk it? Yeah I was shouting shoot but not fuming.

Easy that for Liverpool. Proper mid table club them. 

Piss easy. I was generous and gave them a goal in my 3-1 prediction. They are fucking awful, and VanNistelrooy will be manager by Christmas. 

Dominant from us, and we could have made it embarrassing. But still, you can’t argue with 9/9 points. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Reluctant Striker said:

I still keep thinking how positive it is that clubs spending big money can totally mess it up. 

I agree on one hand but it also makes me annoyed that under the PSR rules, Man Utd and Chelsea can just spend hundreds of millions on players, pay inflated fees, never make their money back, finish mid table, laugh it off and just try again next year, while 14-15 clubs in the same league could make a fraction of their losses in the transfer market and end up with a choice between selling their best players and weakening themselves or taking a points deduction.

I think those expecting a huge drop off from Liverpool after Klopp will be disappointed. Don't think we'll win the league or anything but we'll be comfortably top 4. Really impressed with Slot so far

Edited by LFCMike
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In the past 3 games Gravenberch has done so well in this #6 role. Wonder if he can keep it up if we’re up against a top team.

I do think people need to stop calling it number 6 like it's a Fabinho replacement. Liverpool aren't playing with a 6. Gravenbrech was everywhere today as was Mac Allister. It's a two with Szoboszlai ahead. It's why they weren't desperate to just get anybody in. They've got two players for each position in that midfield and all over the pitch

48 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I do think people need to stop calling it number 6 like it's a Fabinho replacement. Liverpool aren't playing with a 6. Gravenbrech was everywhere today as was Mac Allister. It's a two with Szoboszlai ahead. It's why they weren't desperate to just get anybody in. They've got two players for each position in that midfield and all over the pitch

Still for a midfielder that seemed like what he offered best was stuff going forward, think he’s really looking more than decent in this deeper role.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

Is this the one he should have hit but tried to walk it? Yeah I was shouting shoot but not fuming.

Easy that for Liverpool. Proper mid table club them. 

Yeah, even second touch should be shooting!

• Subscriber

Sad that I had to miss this because of a gig but from the highlights it looks like we've only increased the intensity we play with. I am loving the fact that Diaz is having the kind of start to the season he is. The man works hard and its paying in dividends for him. I also like the fact that Gravenberch is slowly getting better with each game, I think this all really boils down to the manager just putting faith in someone to operate in a position he wasn't being used in before and he's flourishing. May it long continue. 

• Administrator

Don't get the controversy over Rice's 2nd yellow. Seen some fans say it was harsh. But it's a clear yellow for delaying the restart. Refs have been booking that kind of petulance (?) for a while. 

To do it on a yellow is just stupid. 

• Subscriber

Ten Hag has come out with some shite before and after this fixture. The proper sort of head loss stuff you get with a manager who can't answer the questions anymore so just say whatever they can think of. "We've been the best team after Man City the last two years because we've won more trophies." Okay pal. I know nobody can succeed at Man Utd probably, but even with that taken into account he hasn't impressed me at all as a manager. Their identity and patterns of play are non-existent on a football pitch and they'd be in a relegation fight under his management if they didn't have the best part of a billion pounds worth of talent to call upon.

Ineos, Brailsford, Ratcliffe, Ashworth, etc. don't seem to be getting anywhere fast.

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does this mean most Newcastle fans are in tears at the moment?

There is a lot of doom and gloom going on,  you have no idea.   Mostly about the changes atop and a difficult transfer window that has led some to think it is the mike ashley days all over again. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I am going to guess it is Big Ange

No, I know what it meant. I just think it's such a weird 'insult' as if it's a 10 year-old saying it xD 

Very impressed with Slot so far. He’s got this group of players motivated again after everything that happened at the end of last season. They all look like they are enjoying playing their football. There is a difference sense of control than there was under Jurgen. We look more solid defensively and the midfield have worked a treat so far. Looking forward to see how we match up against City and Arsenal but I think we are going to be close again this season. 

• Subscriber

Referee in our game was a disgrace. One of the worst I've seen in years.

It's more of what I expect from us - we will be competitive in games but hardly win any of them. No disgrace in the result but ultimately achieves nothing. We need 4 points from Palace and Everton for me. I bet we get 1.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dan said:

Referee in our game was a disgrace. One of the worst I've seen in years.

It's more of what I expect from us - we will be competitive in games but hardly win any of them. No disgrace in the result but ultimately achieves nothing. We need 4 points from Palace and Everton for me. I bet we get 1.

3 for me. 

Get hammered vs Palace, then beat Everton. 

Cooper has to start Mavididi, Buonanotte and El Khannous. 

Ndidi can not and should not ever be played as a 10 again. Bizarre to attempt it let alone stick with it after half time when it clearly wasn't working. To hang on to the subs until after they scored their 2nd was poor management. Should have been proactive and influenced the game when we weren't creating any real chances but had 3 creative players on the bench. Two of which made an instant impact when they came on. 

After watching highlights I can say I was wrong about Coote for the Vardy penalty incident. But everything else was dogshit from him. While he didn't lose us the game, he definitely lost control of it early on. Seemed to end up guessing for most decisions. 

What was all the crap about trophies that Ten Hag was going on about?

Man U have won 1 league cup and 1 FA cup. Liverpool have one 2 League cups afaik and 1 FA cup. We also won the champions league cup so he's delusional as always.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

3 for me. 

Get hammered vs Palace, then beat Everton. 

Cooper has to start Mavididi, Buonanotte and El Khannous. 

Ndidi can not and should not ever be played as a 10 again. Bizarre to attempt it let alone stick with it after half time when it clearly wasn't working. To hang on to the subs until after they scored their 2nd was poor management. Should have been proactive and influenced the game when we weren't creating any real chances but had 3 creative players on the bench. Two of which made an instant impact when they came on. 

After watching highlights I can say I was wrong about Coote for the Vardy penalty incident. But everything else was dogshit from him. While he didn't lose us the game, he definitely lost control of it early on. Seemed to end up guessing for most decisions. 

I can't accept just getting hammered at Palace. They've started badly and I don't think a point is totally beyond us even if I do expect we'll probably lose. The big one is Everton, we've got to beat them. Arsenal is a total write off. Bournemouth at home afterwards, not easy but they've got vulnerability in them as well. Southampton we need a result at. If I had to revise one thing from my preseason so far it's that I'd have Southampton 20th - they're complete garbage.

In 2022/23 we were a talented side with an absolutely abysmal mentality, a checked out manager and just generally hateful. This time around I think people can resonate a lot more. I'm a lot more sympathetic to the team - they're working their bollocks off, they're giving all they have, but it's just simply not a lot. We're just an honest but poor team now. Which is pretty much what I expected under Cooper.

Cooper's negativity is a real problem. There was a time where it was considered negative to play two defensive midfielders at home and we're now pining for that as some sort of attacking solution. This Ndidi attacking midfield thing is just ridiculous. People really need to look up the word pragmatism when they're describing what Cooper brings. Playing a destroyer as an attacking midfielder isn't pragmatic, it's cowardice and frankly it's stupid. It's not like we don't have the bodies. Buonanotte has been fine, two goal involvements, probably our best player in the Spurs game too. You simply have to get one of him or El Khannouss in the team for Palace. Agree Mavididi simply has to come back in and it was a missed opportunity to get him against their inexperienced right back early doors. Ayew has done OK but he's just simply not a one v one threat like Mavididi is. That's before we get to the Ricardo omission. It's hardly like Justin has played well.

The two things that really annoyed me about Coote beyond his lack of control were the free kick for their goal and the penalty incident. How if their defender got the ball has it then ended up being their throw? The free kick for their goal should've been on the half way line for Okoli fouling off the ball rather than the Skipp tackle. I don't think they execute that free kick routine from the half way line, although I can't excuse that defending either.

My general gist is this is just an honest but poor side and it won't be enough. I don't think Edouard's going to make a huge difference either.