• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Chris Coleman Hired as Sunderland Manager

Recommended Posts

Board must have wanted a win tonight or else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

Bet he's fucking delighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst Ellis Short remains at the club, Sunderland are doomed and heading for League One, whether it's this season or next. 

Grayson may or may not have been the right fit for the job but it's plainly clear that Ellis Short isn't the right fit for running a Football Club and until Sunderland fans really turn on him and start to make a stand that will harm his reputation in public, nothing will happen and relegation to League One looks more of a certainty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum
7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Whilst Ellis Short remains at the club, Sunderland are doomed and heading for League One, whether it's this season or next. 

Grayson may or may not have been the right fit for the job but it's plainly clear that Ellis Short isn't the right fit for running a Football Club and until Sunderland fans really turn on him and start to make a stand that will harm his reputation in public, nothing will happen and relegation to League One looks more of a certainty. 

Give it a rest - the EFL have signed him off on their fit and proper test. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ellis Short stands to lose a massive amount of money if he lets the club slide into league one, he won't see the £100m he is after. 

If he ends up just letting Kevin Ball have a go then that is pretty much resignation as a club owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to have sympathy for him but I'm kind of struggling. I get the whole "challenge yourself at a bigger club" notion but Sunderland are a top to bottom mess of a club. Preston are very stable at Championship level and he was doing fine there, with time they could well have gotten promoted and maybe done what similar sized clubs like Burnley have done.

It was only going one way.

I genuinely do think Sunderland are going again. It's taken them until halloween this calendar year to be leading a game at home, and they managed it for a whole 3 minutes at home to the league's bottom side.

How many times can those above the manager get away with it? Sunderland's owner has got to sell up for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dan said:

I want to have sympathy for him but I'm kind of struggling. I get the whole "challenge yourself at a bigger club" notion but Sunderland are a top to bottom mess of a club. Preston are very stable at Championship level and he was doing fine there, with time they could well have gotten promoted and maybe done what similar sized clubs like Burnley have done.

It was only going one way.

I genuinely do think Sunderland are going again. It's taken them until halloween this calendar year to be leading a game at home, and they managed it for a whole 3 minutes at home to the league's bottom side.

How many times can those above the manager get away with it? Sunderland's owner has got to sell up for me.

Bolton also doubled and more their away goals tally for the season. They really are awful Sunderland but you look at their team and the sum of its parts are nowhere near as bad as that.

Kone, Ndong, Grabban, McGeady, Roswell, Oviedo....not players you would expect to be plodding along at the bottom of the Championship.

There is clearly something fundamentally wrong at that club, Short is the main problem and whilst he's there they will struggle. Best they can hope for is surviving this season and hoping they can get back up before the parachute payments stop. They could be stuck in the league for years if they don't nail this appointment I think. There are clubs of similar stature and arguably bigger that have been in there for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even think Mike Bassett would want the job there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The club is for sale but as a business proposition they are dead so finding a buyer is difficult, even more so now they could end up in league one.

Cattermole, O'Shea, Khazri, Rodwell, Djilobodji, Gibson, Kone, N'dong... these guys are some of the highest paid players in the league. It is going to take some time to financially put this right.

 

Anyhow, Aitor Karanka has emerged as the favourite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive problems at sunderland. Really felt moyes wasn't to blame for them going down last year they are a sinking ship. Same with grayson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's such a tough job, a career-wrecker unless you're a top manager and I really can't see anyone with any sort of pedigree in management wanting to go there at the moment.

I liked Grayson before he went there so hopefully he'll get another job soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need someone with the connections to get them players on loan from one of the big clubs. It surprises me that with no money they didn't bother in the summer. Although many big clubs will now be reluctant to send their kids to such a toxic place.

It might be a decent starting point for Ryan Giggs :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No loss for Grayson. He will just go back to being a manager at a solid mid table Championship club who struggle to have the finances to compete for a playoff push.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
football forum

Grayson's stock won't drop as a result of this, Sunderland have been a shambles for years and its going to take someone desperate to take them on. 

Phil Brown I can imagine doing just that, its his way back into the big time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit premature for me, Grayson doesn't turn into a bad manager overnight. It's the whole culture at the club which needs to be changed and it will take time. They need to get back to basics and get some players in who worked hard and have the desire to do well, not players who are there just to get paid.

I bet Grayson now wishes he never left PNE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was hugely telling in the summer when Derek McInnes had a chance to take the job, met with ownership and then turned it down. He returned to an Aberdeen team that had lost some of it's best players, can't compete financially with Celtic and don't have proper training facilities yet. But that was still a better option to him than moving to Sunderland.

As mentioned many times, it'll take a huge overhaul of the entire club. But how is anyone expecting to do that when the ownership won't give any manager a long-term in charge. For any decent manager to touch that job, it'll require a change at the very top first.

Their best hope is to pick an up and coming manager from League 1 or League 2 who would jump at the chance at such a big club. Someone who couldn't possibly turn down the opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/11/2017 at 8:55 PM, ScoRoss said:

It was hugely telling in the summer when Derek McInnes had a chance to take the job, met with ownership and then turned it down. He returned to an Aberdeen team that had lost some of it's best players, can't compete financially with Celtic and don't have proper training facilities yet. But that was still a better option to him than moving to Sunderland.

As mentioned many times, it'll take a huge overhaul of the entire club. But how is anyone expecting to do that when the ownership won't give any manager a long-term in charge. For any decent manager to touch that job, it'll require a change at the very top first.

Their best hope is to pick an up and coming manager from League 1 or League 2 who would jump at the chance at such a big club. Someone who couldn't possibly turn down the opportunity.

 

Kevin-Nolan.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ellis Short said a good season for Sunderland is finishing 5th or 6th in Premier league and a bad season is finishing 8th in the Premier League.

Christ. They've had 60 bad seasons since Hitler shot himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His contract runs out after the friendly against Panama and he hasn't yet decided what he wants to do.

Given this guy is a failure at Coventry this is truly a sorry state of affairs. I imagine he will be exposed at club level and given our chairman's love in with ex players it will probably happen next season at Palace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement