talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Look at our fucking squad. Okay for a goalkeeper but no alternative to Baines, only three centre backs, no cover for Coleman, countless wingers and number 10s, none of whom can impact a game and no striker. How did this happen to us? 

football forum

If we had that penalty and been at 2-1 I'd be optimistic. As it is we are having to come from two behind, the second was a fluke so it's not as bad as it sounds but my God are we in a rut. 

At least you showed some fight against us in the week... when you get to that low point when its all going tits up its tough to pick yourselves up but you would think the huge salaries might be a bit of an incentive wouldn't you... 

Wouldn't mind rolling up to my job for 38 weeks and not caring if the company goes down as long as they pay me the big bucks... :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Repeat what I said at half time. Unsworth gambled tactically and and it didn't work out. We were unlucky with the second goal and the penalty shout but we shouldn't be relying on luck to stay in the game against Leicester with the money we've spent.

I don't see what manager can do anything about it though. No matter how we play, with Keane and Funes Mori injured and Martina the only alternative for Baines, our defence is simply too slow to deal with Vardy and Gray.

Up front even our 'kitchen sink' consists of Calvert-Lewin who hasn't scored in the Premier League all season and Niasse who works hard and will stick it in the net if he gets half a chance but lacks even basic quality on the ball besides that.

In between we actually have options in midfield but it's actually criminal that we have so many options out wide and behind the striker yet Rooney is the only one with any goals to his name in the league. Davies, Sigurdsson, Klaassen, Sandro, Mirallas, Vlasic, Lookman, Lennon and Calvert-Lewin have all featured to varying degrees but share a grand total of 0 goals.

Absolutely incredible that Koeman was happy to push Barkley away from the club and spend all last season complaining about a 'lack of productivity' from our midfielders yet he's left us with this squad.

All that money and to realistically even think about grinding our way back to the top half we need at least one striker, another centre back, a left back who can cover or preferably take over from Baines, a replacement for Barry unless Schneiderlin can pull his finger out, at least one attacking midfielder or winger who can show a modicum of consistency, Koeman has paid for it with his job but unless he was solely responsible for this summer those above him have a lot to answer for.

Is it just me that thinks Pickford isn't actually that good? He's a good shot stopper if the shot is within his wing span but he doesn't seem that great at covering the goal. Seems a bit overweight as well for a footballer. Can't jump.

30 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Is it just me that thinks Pickford isn't actually that good? He's a good shot stopper if the shot is within his wing span but he doesn't seem that great at covering the goal. Seems a bit overweight as well for a footballer. Can't jump.

Punches a lot when he could just catch.

Archived