talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

To think that everyone were saying that Pep couldn't pull out scorelines of this nature in England and it was only possible due to "weak defenders" in La Liga. Now that he has started to find his preferred type of players, it's all coming together for him. Very dangerous side. City have started strongly a lot over the years before fading, but I could see them continuing it this season as they have the strongest squad they have ever had and a manager who knows how to win league titles.

He has spent about half a billion quid though so you'd expect them to smash a few teams along the way

18 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

He has spent about half a billion quid though so you'd expect them to smash a few teams along the way

He’s not the only one to have spent that amount of money in their tenure and we’re still waiting for something resembling competitiveness never mind ruining opponents. Infact there’s another manager that’s spent the same but we’re getting something completely different. 

31 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

He had arguably the greatest starting 11 ever assembled when he in Spain though. That wasn't the point, but more the fact that people act as though it's impossible to achieve such scorelines in England, when in reality it was more a case of the Premier League lacking a side capable, as Inverted mentioned.

It's not easy to assemble a team and have them combining so brilliantly, however much you spend. Just look at Man United in the past 3 seasons previous to this one(they look a much better side this season), or even City themselves under previous managers. Then again, they need to keep this up, as it's no good battering everyone 7-1, 5-0, 6-0, etc if you then fall off by Christmas. I can't see it happening though to be honest. Very talented side, breaming with confidence and momentum. City and PSG are the 2 right now who look like they could be the next sides to push for the champions league.

Off topic, but in recent years it has been Spain's top 3 and Bayern who are always in the final, with Juve slowly starting to push them, but I think 3 sides in England right now are capable of having a say themselves(City being the main one), and obviously PSG, who have some of the world's best young talents in the likes of Neymar, Mbappe and Verratti. On the otherhand, Bayern are falling off and you can see a bit of a change forming. The Champions league looks very interesting and competitive this year.

• Subscriber

Yet again, watching Everton absolutely makes my eyes bleed this season. Koeman needs to go yesterday, this is the worst series of team selections and the worst football I've ever seen us play. Yes that includes the Moyes hoof ball with Cahill and Fellaini up front phase. We tried to pass it a bit for the first 10 minutes or so but now we're back to our back four and goalkeeper pointlessly hoofing the ball upfield and expecting Rooney to win it off Dunk and Duffy in the air. Fucks sake.

Brighton are so poor we might grind out a 1-0 win here but that guarantees Koeman in charge for Lyon and Arsenal so I almost don't want that to happen.

We are awful. Koeman learns nothing from his previous team selections. Constantly forced to make half time substitutions because his starting eleven doesn't work then picks the same players in the same system every fucking game. Obviously been hard at work over the international break looking for solutions the arrogant cunt.

Lookman not in the squad today either. Add him to the list with Barkley, Niasse and Mirallas of players who have been absolutely terribly man managed by Koeman who for some reason is still perceived as a top class manager in the media.

Again, glad to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath given that we have a manager who won't change his tactics or personnel regardless of how badly and often they don't deliver.

34 minutes ago, The Rebel CRS said:

He had arguably the greatest starting 11 ever assembled when he in Spain though. That wasn't the point, but more the fact that people act as though it's impossible to achieve such scorelines in England, when in reality it was more a case of the Premier League lacking a side capable, as Inverted mentioned.

It's not easy to assemble a team and have them combining so brilliantly, however much you spend. Just look at Man United in the past 3 seasons previous to this one(they look a much better side this season), or even City themselves under previous managers. Then again, they need to keep this up, as it's no good battering everyone 7-1, 5-0, 6-0, etc if you then fall off by Christmas. I can't see it happening though to be honest. Very talented side, breaming with confidence and momentum. City and PSG are the 2 right now who look like they could be the next sides to push for the champions league.

Off topic, but in recent years it has been Spain's top 3 and Bayern who are always in the final, with Juve slowly starting to push them, but I think 3 sides in England right now are capable of having a say themselves(City being the main one), and obviously PSG, who have some of the world's best young talents in the likes of Neymar, Mbappe and Verratti. On the otherhand, Bayern are falling off and you can see a bit of a change forming. The Champions league looks very interesting and competitive this year.

All very nice but it's pretty tragic really, the rise of PSG and Man City marks the end of the game really. I admire Guardiola a lot but I can't understand how a true footballing man could endorse a club doing enormous damage to the game but then gurdiola wss instrumental in the girona thing which shows he is as corrupt as anyone.

2 hours ago, FOYM said:

Can we just say well done to Troy Deeney for coming out and slagging off these Arsenal players. Takes a lot to say sonething like that, especially about a fellow pro, but he's not minced his words at all and said what I think some of these arrogant fannies in the arsenal dressing room needed to hear...that their opposition doesn't respect them. And when you're Arsenal hearing that, it should make your stomach turn.

For me, that was one of the best interviews I've seen for a while. Extremely honest, and it's so refreshing to see. Martin Keown was actually seething inside about it which made it all the more absorbing because you could tell it hit a real sore point for him. He hates seeing Arsenal look such a soft touch because it wasn't like that when he played, and you cannot disagree with any of it.

Have to also say Deeney was bang on about what he said regarding Ozil too and how nonchalant he was about his point blank miss to put Arsenal 2-0 up. He should be getting berated for that. You just shouldn' miss those. What a terrible finish.

All boils down to Wenger unfortunately. This should have been addressed 3, 4 maybe even 5 years ago. But the club continue to stick their head in the sand.

• Subscriber

Anyone who thinks Koeman shouldn't be sacked after this is having an absolute laugh. Praying for Brighton to stick a couple more in before full time to put the final nails in the coffin.

Most expensive Everton side in history and the worst Everton side I've ever seen hands down.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Cannabis said:

I've stood by Koeman since his arrival but losing to Brighton should be the final nail in the coffin, its not all his fault but he's the only one that can be held accountable.

That last paragraph is sadly 100% true.

I turned after Burnley. I'm not usuallu one to change based on one result but it's the complete unwillingness to change anything that just proves we're going nowhere under him. No positives these last two fixtures.

Rooney penalty possibly saves Koemans job. Fuck sake.

2 hours ago, SirBalon said:

He’s not the only one to have spent that amount of money in their tenure and we’re still waiting for something resembling competitiveness never mind ruining opponents. Infact there’s another manager that’s spent the same but we’re getting something completely different. 

Whom do you speak of spent as much as Pep?

Guardiola is relishing being at an ambitious club where a board, without hesitation, secures his targets. Inspite of the price tag. 

I missed the game, my mates son celebrated his 1st birthday. Watched it afterwards and it was terrible, however i did predict it and knew we would fuck it. I thought a draw was the worst that could happen, boy i was wrong. In the second half we had our chances to equalize but the finishing was terrible. Several players were not up to it and Conte has to drop Willian now he has been poor the entire season. Michy just keeps saying to Conte let me go i can't do it, the return of Morata will be a major boost. We can't afford to drop Eden but he was also piss poor, at this point at Real he would be a bench player. He has to be the player that is the best when others are not, unfortunately he only plays well when the team is playing well. 

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

I missed the game, my mates son celebrated his 1st birthday. Watched it afterwards and it was terrible, however i did predict it and knew we would fuck it. I thought a draw was the worst that could happen, boy i was wrong. In the second half we had our chances to equalize but the finishing was terrible. Several players were not up to it and Conte has to drop Willian now he has been poor the entire season. Michy just keeps saying to Conte let me go i can't do it, the return of Morata will be a major boost. We can't afford to drop Eden but he was also piss poor, at this point at Real he would be a bench player. He has to be the player that is the best when others are not, unfortunately he only plays well when the team is playing well. 

Let's not over exaggerate. xD

Cahill, Luiz,  Willian, Alonso, and Fabregas all need dropping

Just now, Cicero said:

Let's not over exaggerate. xD

Cahill, Luiz,  Willian, Alonso, and Fabregas all need dropping

Name one game that Eden was the key in our victory? For the named we can afford to drop all bar Alonso since he doesn't have cover

8 minutes ago, True Blue said:

unfortunately he only plays well when the team is playing well.

Are you saying Hazard is related to Özil?

Eden Hazard would be top notch at Real Madrid or even Barcelona.  He should be at Chelsea too which is the strange part.

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Name one game that Eden was the key in our victory? For the named we can afford to drop all bar Alonso since he doesn't have cover

The entire second half of the 2015 season. Practically carried us to the title whilst everyone was already on holiday. 

3 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Mourinho...  Not as much, but more and the football has never been aimed towards that type of football.

Even Mourinho, by his comments, didn't get the backing Pep has had. 

1 minute ago, SirBalon said:

Are you saying Hazard is related to Özil?

Eden Hazard would be top notch at Real Madrid or even Barcelona.  He should be at Chelsea too which is the strange part.

To be honest Chelsea relies on Hazard much more than Arsenal relies on Ozil. He should be the best player, like Sanchez is at Arsenal.

5 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The entire second half of the 2015 season. Practically carried us to the title whilst everyone was already on holiday. 

Even Mourinho, by his comments, didn't get the backing Pep has had. 

He has no reason to complain...  Both at Real Madrid and Manchester United he has spent a king's ransom on players.  Even at Inter he didn't suffer from bringing in big names.  He's spent over that and his football has never been directed towards a style that goes for humiliating other teams.

Arsene Wenger has spent tons of money over the years although not in short spells I must admit, and it has regressed instead of getting better.  He can't even complain at Chelsea to be honest...  The club signed top talent during his first tenure but the football was aimed at something different.

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived