talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Matchday Chat - Aug to Dec 2017/18 season archive

I did worry slightly when I saw our line up but that was one of the worst performances I've seen from us in a long time. Everyone an embarrassment. We can moan about some team selection issues but the mentality of these players once again seriously comes under question for me and that's the most worrying thing. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

I did worry slightly when I saw our line up but that was one of the worst performances I've seen from us in a long time. Everyone an embarrassment. We can moan about some team selection issues but the mentality of these players once again seriously comes under question for me and that's the most worrying thing. 

You keep picking underperforming players ahead of those that do perform, what do you expect?

Baffling really. You really think Rudiger or Christensen would of defended that poorly? Or Musonda/Pedro to do as bad as Willian and Batshuayi? 

27 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

No Premier League team should be getting beat 7-2, a joke for Stoke to even try and make light of the situation.

Should have read sometimes you've got to hold your hands up and accept you're not good enough for the Premier League 

2 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Should have read sometimes you've got to hold your hands up and accept you're not good enough for the Premier League 

Oh but they are, comfortably. Fact is the Prem is a pretty poor standard, the reason we,vet never had teams wiping the floor with teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid is because we've never had teams anywhere near that quality. Maybe that's changed.

39 minutes ago, Cicero said:

You keep picking underperforming players ahead of those that do perform, what do you expect?

Baffling really. You really think Rudiger or Christensen would of defended that poorly? Or Musonda/Pedro to do as bad as Willian and Batshuayi? 

You're right mate but mentality is where thing's start.

Even though I questioned the mentality of this team at times last season, for the most part in the league week in week out, we were on it from the start which was one of the factors in us winning the league. We were incredibly ruthless last season in the league but even more so against teams outside the top six, we were motivated and even despite seeing the line up today I was still quietly confident as we normally do the business against the lower teams. Everyone was dreadful, Bakayoko, Hazard, Azpi, Luiz, Courtois everyone today. Worrying as you don't normally get that passiveness from a Conte side especially after going into the game off of a defeat.

Conte gives the club a lot, he's made a good few of these players look a lot better than what they are but the reality is there's still a lot of dross in our squad, players that are very dependent on the system and the players around them. I fear slightly for the next manager that picks up this squad. Conte's selection wasn't good today I agree but the more worrying thing was how passive we looked, that side is more than capable of beating Palace. The blame falls on Conte of course but it doesn't take away the fact that there's still doubts for me about the mentality and real ability of a lot of these players something which I was saying last season as well.

1 minute ago, carefreeluke said:

You're right mate but mentality is where thing's start.

Even though I questioned the mentality of this team at times last season, for the most part in the league week in week out, we were on it from the start which was one of the factors in us winning the league. We were incredibly ruthless last season in the league but even more so against teams outside the top six, we were motivated and even despite seeing the line up today I was still quietly confident as we normally do the business against the lower teams. Everyone was dreadful, Bakayoko, Hazard, Azpi, Luiz, Courtois everyone today. Worrying as you don't normally get that passiveness from a Conte side especially after going into the game off of a defeat.

Conte gives the club a lot, he's made a good few of these players look a lot better than what they are but the reality is there's still a lot of dross in our squad, players that are very dependent on the system and the players around them. I fear slightly for the next manager that picks up this squad. Conte's selection wasn't good today I agree but the more worrying thing was how passive we looked, that side is more than capable of beating Palace. The blame falls on Conte of course but it doesn't take away the fact that there's still doubts for me about the mentality and real ability of a lot of these players something which I was saying last season as well.

today we played in first gear for most of the match,

Agreed mate. Mentality usually isnt an issue as we typically bounce back, but quality is where it'll hurt us. Our attack isnt good enough as well as our wingbacks. 

Pep has his targets and City's board get them. Without hesitation. They still want Alexis too. They show ambition.

Conte won't ever have that here, especially when our board are penny pinching for fucking Drinkwater. 

You couldn't make it up. No points, no goals, no strikers, no hope, then we turn over The Champions.

There was an energy today I haven't seen this season. Having Wilfs pace, energy, skill and direct play back in to the team was a huge boost. As was possibly so many players needing to prove a point given how dismal we were against United.

Chelsea fans have every right to be angry about their performance mind you. We had a 38 year old in goal for crying our loud. From the first minute you could tell that mentally they weren't prepared for us to put up any sort of performance. The three half chances before our goal really caught them by surprise.

We can't take our eye off what we've achieved today. We have to build on this against Newcastle and West Ham. Even if it's two score draws. 

The talk of a crisis was always a little premature. We were only ever two results off safety. But it's about building these characters to believe and recogniwe that. Avoiding defeat in the next two games will go a long way to building confidence in a favourable Christmas fixture run in.

Carrillo is still silly inconsistent I see.

He seriously needs a manager like Gareca. I do believe Silva will be that man as he's got him to perform to his max once before but it will take some time. On form he's a ridiculously good player. 

Just now, Chaaay AFC said:

We are such a joke. Imagine conceding a 90th minute winner to Tom Cleverly. 

Could have been worse, it could have been Carrillo :ph34r:

Shit result, shit performance. Could've gone 3 points clear of Chelsea and Liverpool and we decided to play like that. The decision for the penalty was a joke, probably still would've gotten away with a 1-0 win if it wasn't for that.

• The title was changed to Matchday Chat - 28-30th October 2017
  • The topic was unpinned
  • The topic was locked

Archived