• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Overrated and underrated movies

Recommended Posts

Title says it all.

Overrated for me are, off the top of my head: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The English Patient, The Batman trilogy from Nolan, anything from Quentin Tarantino, No Country for Old Men.

Underrated: Dogma, Barton Fink, Mr. Nobody, Her, The Best of Youth, the Apu trilogy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ASF said:

Title says it all.

Overrated for me are, off the top of my head: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The English Patient, The Batman trilogy from Nolan, anything from Quentin Tarantino, No Country for Old Men.

Underrated: Dogma, Barton Fink, Mr. Nobody, Her, The Best of Youth, the Apu trilogy.

One Flew Over The Cookoo's Nest is a brilliant movie mate!  What didn't you like about it? O.o

The English Patient is only great in the final 45 minutes (very great) and the rest is absolute turd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ASF said:

Title says it all.

Overrated for me are, off the top of my head: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, The English Patient, The Batman trilogy from Nolan, anything from Quentin Tarantino, No Country for Old Men.

Underrated: Dogma, Barton Fink, Mr. Nobody, Her, The Best of Youth, the Apu trilogy.

One Flew over the Cuckoos nest? Blimey fella, I think that's actually underrated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cure said:

Dare I say it. Star Wars.

Agreed.  Much of the acting is poor, and the narrative is cheesy. Still enjoyable, and ahead of it's time. Just not objectively brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overrated:
Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan (bar the opening scene)
Scarface
Schindler's List
Requiem for a Dream

Underrated (underappeciated):
Children of Men
The Thin Red Line
The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
A Perfect World

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nudge said:

Overrated:
Shawshank Redemption
Saving Private Ryan (bar the opening scene)
Scarface
Schindler's List
Requiem for a Dream

Underrated (underappeciated):
Children of Men
The Thin Red Line
The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
A Perfect World

Agree with probably everything on the lists bar Requiem. Shawshank is top of my list for overrated. People that have never seen rate it as their number one ffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Agree with probably everything on the lists bar Requiem. Shawshank is top of my list for overrated. People that have never seen rate it as their number one ffs.

Yep, I remember you liking Requiem, I just think it's over-pretentious, migraine-inducing tosh :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overrated:

Star Wars

The Lord Of The Rings

La La Land

Les Miserables

And any musical film, i can't explain how much i hate them and how fucking boring they are for me.

 

Edited by Berserker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overrated.

Star wars episode 7. A new hope II

The Shawshank Redemption

All the Marvel superheroes movies bar the first Iron man movies. And guardians of the galaxy (still overrated, but not half as much as the rest of them)

Slumdog millionaire

Inception

Zoolander

Underrated

Collateral

District 9

99 homes

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Yep, I remember you liking Requiem, I just think it's over-pretentious, migraine-inducing tosh :ph34r:

I think that's why I like it. Plus Jared Leto :x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overrated

  • Napoleon Dynamite.
  • Avatar.
  • Pacific Rim.
  • Forrest Gump.
  • Zoolander.
  • The Hurt Locker.
  • Avengers Assemble.

Underrated

  • Wanted.
  • Layer Cake.
  • The Crow.
  • The Running Man.
  • The Thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overrated:
The Godfather.
Star Wars
 

Underrated:
Hot Fuzz
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in this thread: Underrated = Movies that have good ratings and were generally well received ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

So in this thread: Underrated = Movies that have good ratings and were generally well received ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's why I named mine "underappreciated" :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

So in this thread: Underrated = Movies that have good ratings and were generally well received ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's a suggestion. The Bedroom Window. I accidentally stumbled on it while surfing on YouTube for bad movies, but this one is actually a terrific thriller. A movie that Alfred Hitchcock would be proud of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two others in mind as well:

Sunset Limited (2011) - Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson discuss the meaning of life in an apartment. Sounds weird and pretentious, it's a great film though.
Midnight Run (1988) - an action comedy with Robert de Niro, it's fun and entertaining while not being too silly.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

:
Sunset Limited (2011) - Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson discuss the meaning of life in an apartment. Sounds weird and pretentious, it's a great film though.
 

 

That one was great! And it has the good kind of Samuel L. Jackson in it, not the constantly shouting profanities and generally being the same character in every movie kind of Samuel L. Jackson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tsubasa said:

That one was great! And it has the good kind of Samuel L. Jackson in it, not the constantly shouting profanities and generally being the same character in every movie kind of Samuel L. Jackson. 

If you like when Samuel L. Jackson is not Samuel L. Jackson, watch The Red Violin, if you haven't yet: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120802/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nudge said:

If you like when Samuel L. Jackson is not Samuel L. Jackson, watch The Red Violin, if you haven't yet: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120802/

 

Sounds interesting, cheers! I'll put it on my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nudge said:


Midnight Run (1988) - an action comedy with Robert de Niro, it's fun and entertaining while not being too silly.
 

De niro and Grodin had great chemistry. Remember watching it as a teen, and wanting that belt.

@Topic

Yankee Zulu. If you like Gods must be Crazy or Stir Crazy, then Yankee Zulu is the movie for you.

Cousin Cousine (original French) is another of my favourite. Lovely romantic movie, with a lame Hollywood remake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement