talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Transfer Rumours 2018

football forum

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool midfielder Emre Can believes he has all the qualities required to play for a “very big club” next season.

The Germany international is expected to leave Anfield as a free agent when his contract expires in June.

Can has failed to agree terms with the Reds on an extension and has been heavily linked with Juventus. He says he won’t make a FINAL decision until the summer but insists that any potential suitor must be capable of challenging for the biggest prizes.

He told Süddeutsche Zeitung: “Sure, the Bundesliga would interest me, why not? Although I must say honestly that the level has waned in recent years.

“The Premier League has the power to spend more money on players than the Bundesliga . This is very, very important for players.

“I have the self-confidence to say that my qualities are sufficient to play in a very big club next season.”

Can explained that being “an important part of the team” and being at a club that “has the prospect of winning the title” will be decisive factors in his decision.

“That’s what every footballer dreams of because that’s the reward for the work,” Can added.

“I’m doing great in England. The Spanish league is also attractive. The same applies to Germany, where tactics are concerned, and the Italian club football, which has recently caught up.

“Incidentally, the same applies to France, this league has now established itself as one of the best in Europe. Therefore, I do not want to exclude anything because I do not know what I will do from the summer.”

Fair amount of money lost on him if/when he walks, especially in the market these days. 

Not that money is much of an issue any more, always nice to have a few extra quid in the pocket, though. 

25 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Liverpool midfielder Emre Can believes he has all the qualities required to play for a “very big club” next season.

The Germany international is expected to leave Anfield as a free agent when his contract expires in June.

Can has failed to agree terms with the Reds on an extension and has been heavily linked with Juventus. He says he won’t make a FINAL decision until the summer but insists that any potential suitor must be capable of challenging for the biggest prizes.

He told Süddeutsche Zeitung: “Sure, the Bundesliga would interest me, why not? Although I must say honestly that the level has waned in recent years.

“The Premier League has the power to spend more money on players than the Bundesliga . This is very, very important for players.

“I have the self-confidence to say that my qualities are sufficient to play in a very big club next season.

Can explained that being “an important part of the team” and being at a club that “has the prospect of winning the title” will be decisive factors in his decision.

“That’s what every footballer dreams of because that’s the reward for the work,” Can added.

I’m doing great in England. The Spanish league is also attractive. The same applies to Germany, where tactics are concerned, and the Italian club football, which has recently caught up.

Incidentally, the same applies to France, this league has now established itself as one of the best in Europe. Therefore, I do not want to exclude anything because I do not know what I will do from the summer.”

Anyone who's watched him play will know he's very slow upstairs, so it's not surprising that he thinks what he does, but some of this is hilarious.

Sources saying we've made contact with Icardi's wife, his agent, on a possible move. 

Probably all shit. But his wife is a complete laughing stock in Argentina and I feel adding Icardi would cause some inside unsettlement. 

6 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Anyone who's watched him play will know he's very slow upstairs, so it's not surprising that he thinks what he does, but some of this is hilarious.

I like how he's not as good as Milner or Henderson, yet he thinks he's some kind of midfield dynamo.

Well you will all be glad to hear that he’s suffered a reaction to the back injury that forced him to come off against Watford and has been sent home from Germany’s training camp to be treated at Melwood. 

Brilliant! Exactly what we needed going into our biggest and most important cluster of fixtures in years. Statistically (in all departments) Can has been by far our best CM this season and we are going to lose him for possibly the rest of the season  

Hooraahhhh 

8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well you will all be glad to hear that he’s suffered a reaction to the back injury that forced him to come off against Watford and has been sent home from Germany’s training camp to be treated at Melwood. 

Brilliant! Exactly what we needed going into our biggest and most important cluster of fixtures in years. Statistically (in all departments) Can has been by far our best CM this season and we are going to lose him for possibly the rest of the season  

Hooraahhhh 

Stats wise he's got the edge on goals (although level with the Ox). The Ox has the most assists (in the league) of our midfielders, and Milner has the most assists (of all players) in the CL. Can has completed the most passes of our midfielders... but Henderson's right on his heels with significantly less playing time. Statistics don't indicate the times he's caught out of possession either. I don't agree that he's been by far our best CM this season - I think Henderson's demonstrated his value this season by making the most notable impact on our midfield with his presence/absence. And for much of the first half of the season, our midfield was found wanting... and Can was a big part of that. And if you look at the stats, I think you'll find Henderson's fairly comparable despite having less matches and minutes played. Sure, Can offers more going forward than Henderson - but Henderson's not going to leave giant gaps in the midfield as frequently as Can, or unnecessarily giving the ball away inexplicably as much as Can does.

He's obviously not a bad player, but he's not some midfield dynamo that holds the side together. And him talking about himself as though he's nailed on to be a starter at a European giant is a bit silly, because there's a lot of room for development to make him a consistently good player. But he was touted as some new Stevie G once and it's pretty clear he's nowhere near that caliber of player

Would I mind if he stayed? No, because he's developed (a bit) as a player with us (although not as much as I would have hoped tbh) and he's shown up in big moments for us in his time here. Would I mind if he left? Not really, I think he and Wijnaldum are the 2 most easily replaceable players in our squad... and we've got Keita coming in as well. Sure, it's a bit shit to not get a fee for him... but if he leaves after honouring his contract, I feel like we got good value from his Liverpool career considering the transfer fee we paid for him. And I don't think his development has seen him grow very much as a player, so I don't think we're on the cusp of losing someone world class.

And if he's going to hold out for superstar wages, good for him... but I don't think he's worth them and if we're going to pay a player the wages he's reportedly asking for... I'd prefer we go for a player that's less rough around the edges and less likely to make mistakes that put us under pressure.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Stats wise he's got the edge on goals (although level with the Ox). The Ox has the most assists (in the league) of our midfielders, and Milner has the most assists (of all players) in the CL. Can has completed the most passes of our midfielders... but Henderson's right on his heels with significantly less playing time. Statistics don't indicate the times he's caught out of possession either. I don't agree that he's been by far our best CM this season - I think Henderson's demonstrated his value this season by making the most notable impact on our midfield with his presence/absence. And for much of the first half of the season, our midfield was found wanting... and Can was a big part of that. And if you look at the stats, I think you'll find Henderson's fairly comparable despite having less matches and minutes played. Sure, Can offers more going forward than Henderson - but Henderson's not going to leave giant gaps in the midfield as frequently as Can, or unnecessarily giving the ball away inexplicably as much as Can does.

He's obviously not a bad player, but he's not some midfield dynamo that holds the side together. And him talking about himself as though he's nailed on to be a starter at a European giant is a bit silly, because there's a lot of room for development to make him a consistently good player. But he was touted as some new Stevie G once and it's pretty clear he's nowhere near that caliber of player

Would I mind if he stayed? No, because he's developed (a bit) as a player with us (although not as much as I would have hoped tbh) and he's shown up in big moments for us in his time here. Would I mind if he left? Not really, I think he and Wijnaldum are the 2 most easily replaceable players in our squad... and we've got Keita coming in as well. Sure, it's a bit shit to not get a fee for him... but if he leaves after honouring his contract, I feel like we got good value from his Liverpool career considering the transfer fee we paid for him. And I don't think his development has seen him grow very much as a player, so I don't think we're on the cusp of losing someone world class.

And if he's going to hold out for superstar wages, good for him... but I don't think he's worth them and if we're going to pay a player the wages he's reportedly asking for... I'd prefer we go for a player that's less rough around the edges and less likely to make mistakes that put us under pressure.

That’s a pretty good post and I’m not going to argue with that. Mainly agree with your comment regarding us getting good value for what we paid for him. £10m is great value for what he’s contributed and yes, I do think he’s vastly underrated, which seems a minority opinion on here. He’s still very young with (in my opinion) a very high ceiling and I just think it would be in our best interests to re-sign him to a new contract.

Im not going to get too upset if he fucks off though because as you say, he’s not indispensable and I’m confident Klopp will find a player to replace him that will be as good if not better and who is better suited to our style of play. 

Honestly though, I think Can will make a great player in the not too distant future. I’ll be keeping an eye on his development wherever he goes for sure. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

That’s a pretty good post and I’m not going to argue with that. Mainly agree with your comment regarding us getting good value for what we paid for him. £10m is great value for what he’s contributed and yes, I do think he’s vastly underrated, which seems a minority opinion on here. He’s still very young with (in my opinion) a very high ceiling and I just think it would be in our best interests to re-sign him to a new contract.

Im not going to get too upset if he fucks off though because as you say, he’s not indispensable and I’m confident Klopp will find a player to replace him that will be as good if not better and who is better suited to our style of play. 

Honestly though, I think Can will make a great player in the not too distant future. I’ll be keeping an eye on his development wherever he goes for sure. 

I want Jorginho, so if Can leaves and we bring in Jorginho... I'm not too fussed at all. Jorginho + Keita coming into this midfield improves our side pretty significantly. I'd also be pretty pleased with Ndidi. But if we're not signing either of them, I'd be happy to have Can get an extension - although I'm assuming he's wanting massive wages. His comments saying that Ligue 1 has become one of Europe's top leagues to me indicates he's hoping that PSG will catch him in their gilded cage. And fair enough to that, I imagine life in Paris with shitloads of money is fantastic.

Can's got the raw attributes to be a great player, but his decision making lets him down and makes him fairly inconsistent. Mostly those 2 things I mentioned, the routine carelessness in possession where he inexplicably gives the ball away for no fucking reason (which does my head in) or after he's surged forward and takes his sweet time returning to fill the massive gap he's left, which smarter players then manage to exploit on the counter. He's definitely improved as a Liverpool player... but he's also developed pretty slowly too IMO.

For me it comes down to the wages he would want in order to stay, and who we could possibly bring in. But either way, I'm not too fussed. If he stays, cool. If not, we'll cope.

8 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Hooraahhhh 

Mate, I really don't know what you see in Can to be honest. Has about one good game in ten. There's not much ability wise between all of our central midfielders and I certainly wouldn't have him down as the strongest of them. You always bring up stats but we don't need stats to tell us how inconsistent he is. You just have to watch Liverpool play football matches to see that he's really not that good. He may will develop better in a slower league but I don't think he fits here in Klopp's Liverpool side. As I said above, if it forces our hand to bring in better then good riddance

11 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Mate, I really don't know what you see in Can to be honest. Has about one good game in ten. There's not much ability wise between all of our central midfielders and I certainly wouldn't have him down as the strongest of them. You always bring up stats but we don't need stats to tell us how inconsistent he is. You just have to watch Liverpool play football matches to see that he's really not that good. He may will develop better in a slower league but I don't think he fits here in Klopp's Liverpool side. As I said above, if it forces our hand to bring in better then good riddance

My main point was that rotation is going to be absolutely key in the coming weeks to keep players relatively fresh and we’ve just lost one of our better and most versatile midfielders to injury. 

Next season is next season and I’m sure Klopp will sort it out one way or another but for now, it’s a pretty big blow considering Can has been more or less a mainstay in a midfield that has only lost 4 league games all season. 

7 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

My main point was that rotation is going to be absolutely key in the coming weeks to keep players relatively fresh and we’ve just lost one of our better and most versatile midfielders to injury. 

Next season is next season and I’m sure Klopp will sort it out one way or another but for now, it’s a pretty big blow considering Can has been more or less a mainstay in a midfield that has only lost 3 league games all season. 

We have Wijnaldum and Lallana coming back to fitness though too. I think we're pretty well stocked in central midfield with players of similar or better ability than him.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

We have Wijnaldum and Lallana coming back to fitness though too. I think we're pretty well stocked in central midfield with players of similar or better ability than him.

Disagree mate. Can plays nearly every game for us, especially the big ones. Klopp obviously trusts him and in my opinion will be a big miss. 

Thats not to say I’ll be overly upset when he leaves because as you say, we’ll probably replace him sufficiently but as for this season and the upcoming games against Everton, Chelsea and the two CL games against City, it can surely only be seen as a negative losing him to injury. 

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Disagree mate. Can plays nearly every game for us, especially the big ones. Klopp obviously trusts him and in my opinion will be a big miss. 

Thats not to say I’ll be overly upset when he leaves because as you say, we’ll probably replace him sufficiently but as for this season and the upcoming games against Everton, Chelsea and the two CL games against City, it can surely only be seen as a negative losing him to injury. 

You obviously rate him more than I and many others do and I'd agree if his replacements were a big drop in ability but they're not. I'm not sure where you've got that he's possibly out for the rest of the season anyway, not read that anywhere. Let's just agree to disagree as we clearly rate him much differently.

5 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

You obviously rate him more than I and many others do and I'd agree if his replacements were a big drop in ability but they're not. I'm not sure where you've got that he's possibly out for the rest of the season anyway, not read that anywhere. Let's just agree to disagree as we clearly rate him much differently.

Haha Yeah, I rate him alongside people like Klopp, the German National manager, the Juventus manager, Pep Guardiola and all the other managers that want him xD

35 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Haha Yeah, I rate him alongside people like Klopp, the German National manager, the Juventus manager, Pep Guardiola and all the other managers that want him xD

I think Klopp has made do while other areas have been strengthened. We'll be stronger in that area next year just with the addition of Keita but I'd expect him to make another addition too. As for Germany, he's hardly some midfield colossus for them is he? He starts the odd game but largely makes substitute appearances for them. Guardiola? Turned down the chance to re-sign him before we got him didn't he? Juventus? Said previously he might do well there. The rest are just pure newspaper speculation

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I think Klopp has made do while other areas have been strengthened. We'll be stronger in that area next year just with the addition of Keita but I'd expect him to make another addition too. As for Germany, he's hardly some midfield colossus for them is he? He starts the odd game but largely makes substitute appearances for them. Guardiola? Turned down the chance to re-sign him before we got him didn't he? Juventus? Said previously he might do well there. The rest are just pure newspaper speculation

Klopp hasn’t made do, he played Can more than any one of our midfielders since he took over and has actively been trying to persuade him to sign a new contract, publicly. 

Can might not be a midfield colossus for Germany but you have to be a serious player to be an ever present squad member for the world champions at such a young age. 

Nope Guardiola didn’t turn down the chance to re-sign Can for Bayern. In fact Bayern were rather upset that they hadn’t included a buy back clause when they sold him and were again upset when we got him for as little as £10m. 

Juventus are one of the most successful clubs in Europe, both past and present. Them doing their best to sign Can says a lot about Cans talent as a footballer. 

Again, I’m not saying Can is the best midfielder in the world and as I said, we’ll no doubt replace him adequately. But for me he is extremely underrated, especially by some of our own fans because he’s not Gerrard. Fans opinions means little though.... He’s obviously rated within the football world, by some of the biggest and best managers within the game. 

2 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Klopp hasn’t made do, he played Can more than any one of our midfielders since he took over and has actively been trying to persuade him to sign a new contract, publicly. 

Can might not be a midfield colossus for Germany but you have to be a serious player to be an ever present squad member for the world champions at such a young age. 

Nope Guardiola didn’t turn down the chance to re-sign Can for Bayern. In fact Bayern were rather upset that they hadn’t included a buy back clause when they sold him and were again upset when we got him for as little as £10m. 

Juventus are one of the most successful clubs in Europe, both past and present. Them doing their best to sign Can says a lot about Cans talent as a footballer. 

Again, I’m not saying Can is the best midfielder in the world and as I said, we’ll no doubt replace him adequately. But for me he is extremely underrated, especially by some of our own fans because he’s not Gerrard. Fans opinions means little though.... He’s obviously rated within the football world, by some of the biggest and best managers within the game. 

Love how you hang on the every word of what the manager or someone else with authority at the club says publicly. Klopp's not going to come out and say he's not arsed if Can signs a new contract or not is he?

I'm pretty sure Bayern had a buy back clause when they sold him to Leverkusen.

Anyway, like I said, agree to disagree because we clearly have very different opinions on him.

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Love how you hang on the every word of what the manager or someone else with authority at the club says publicly. Klopp's not going to come out and say he's not arsed if Can signs a new contract or not is he?

I'm pretty sure Bayern had a buy back clause when they sold him to Leverkusen.

Anyway, like I said, agree to disagree because we clearly have very different opinions on him.

I’m not hanging on anyone’s word? It’s very public knowledge that Can has the offer of a contract extension on the table which leads me to believe that the club don’t want him to leave. 

Anyway.... 👍

• The title was changed to Premier League Transfer Rumours 2018
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived