talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Transfer Rumours 2018

football forum

4 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

Haha Yeah, I rate him alongside people like Klopp, the German National manager, the Juventus manager, Pep Guardiola and all the other managers that want him xD

Knew we'd get there eventually xD

It's a little disingenuous to say he's played more than any other midfielder for us this season when our two best midfielders (Lallana and Henderson) have both missed significant time with injury, with Henderson being Can's only competition for the #6 role.

No one's saying he's not good enough to be part of the squad. In fact, given his durability and versatility, we'd be losing a useful squad player, but is that worth caving to his demands? Depending on who you believe, he either wants assurances of playing time in the #6 role or a release clause inserted in the contract. He's not nearly good enough for us to agree to either of those, and the club clearly thinks so too, which is why the contract is still on the table rather than signed and filed away somewhere.

Everyone talks about our defense and how they don't get enough protection from the midfield. Who's spent the most time as the holding midfielder this year? Emre Can. He's one of the biggest weaknesses in the team, and with his recent comments shown himself to be a bit of a cock as well. Provided we replace him, and god knows we've got the resources to do that, I don't see a single problem with his departure apart from us not receiving a fee, but that's not the end of the world.

Not sure where this bit about Klopp actively and publicly trying to persuade him to sign a new contract has come from either? Every comment I've seen from Klopp on the subject is along the lines of "It's beyond my control and nothing to do with me, but as long as it doesn't affect his performances, it won't affect his place in the team."

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Knew we'd get there eventually xD

It's a little disingenuous to say he's played more than any other midfielder for us this season when our two best midfielders (Lallana and Henderson) have both missed significant time with injury, with Henderson being Can's only competition for the #6 role.

No one's saying he's not good enough to be part of the squad. In fact, given his durability and versatility, we'd be losing a useful squad player, but is that worth caving to his demands? Depending on who you believe, he either wants assurances of playing time in the #6 role or a release clause inserted in the contract. He's not nearly good enough for us to agree to either of those, and the club clearly thinks so too, which is why the contract is still on the table rather than signed and filed away somewhere.

Everyone talks about our defense and how they don't get enough protection from the midfield. Who's spent the most time as the holding midfielder this year? Emre Can. He's one of the biggest weaknesses in the team, and with his recent comments shown himself to be a bit of a cock as well. Provided we replace him, and god knows we've got the resources to do that, I don't see a single problem with his departure apart from us not receiving a fee, but that's not the end of the world.

Not sure where this bit about Klopp actively and publicly trying to persuade him to sign a new contract has come from either? Every comment I've seen from Klopp on the subject is along the lines of "It's beyond my control and nothing to do with me, but as long as it doesn't affect his performances, it won't affect his place in the team."

Well we are all debating for nothing then because that’s basically my whole argument  xD

Ive said all along that he shouldn’t be first name on the team sheet but that he’s a very very valuable squad member and that losing him would weaken our squad in terms of depth. 

I also agree that we shouldn’t be giving in to any demands he’s making, that’s not the point of my argument! People on here talk as if he’s totally shit and no great loss if he leaves. I’m simply arguing that he’s not shit and would be a loss, proven by the obvious interest in him from some of the top clubs/managers in Europe. 

Anyway, this has been done a thousand times. Let’s just see how his career develops .... 

• Subscriber
On 3/22/2018 at 03:12, LFCMadLad said:

Nope Guardiola didn’t turn down the chance to re-sign Can for Bayern. In fact Bayern were rather upset that they hadn’t included a buy back clause when they sold him and were again upset when we got him for as little as £10m. 

Not really, the general concensus among our fanbase was he was never good enough to be a starter for us. He really didnt play much and was at that time easily replaceable. Cant speak to too much of his development but the odd game I've seen of him doesnt fill me with regret.

16 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Not really, the general concensus among our fanbase was he was never good enough to be a starter for us. He really didnt play much and was at that time easily replaceable. Cant speak to too much of his development but the odd game I've seen of him doesnt fill me with regret.

He was about 17/18 when he was at Bayern. Of course he was replaceable xD

As I said, let’s see where he ends up and  how his career develops

• Subscriber
On 3/22/2018 at 14:33, LFCMadLad said:

He was about 17/18 when he was at Bayern. Of course he was replaceable xD

As I said, let’s see where he ends up and  how his career develops

Point is; what he showed was that he was never going to be a starter for us.

22 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

xD

Bit harsh but true.

It’s not true really though is it? 

I find it very hard to believe that a 17 year old can make 4 appearances for Bayern Munich, 29 appearances for CL side Leverkusen, over 150 appearances for Liverpool and 20 appearances for the National World Champions as well as being chased by Juventus and Manchester City amongst others, all before the age of 24 and under multiple managers .....If he’s ‘very slow upstairs’. 

I think it’s more likely, much more likely in fact, that a couple of people on the internet that are not accociated with football whatsoever, could possibly be wrong in their assessment? 

18 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Point is; what he showed was that he was never going to be a starter for us.

Come on mate, it would have been impossible to tell at the age of 17 if he would ever be a regular starter without him going away and getting games to develop his game.  

Rumour has it Bayern are one of the clubs interested in signing him actually... https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpools-hopes-keeping-emre-can-12189078.amp

Maybe I’m wrong about him and he is actually no good at all? Fuck knows? I just see a very decent footballer in there.

Maybe you lot are right and all these managers that he’s played under as well as the ones that want him have been having wool pulled over their eyes for the last 6 years :what:

• Subscriber
On 3/22/2018 at 14:58, LFCMadLad said:

Come on mate, it would have been impossible to tell at the age of 17 if he would ever be a regular starter without him going away and getting games to develop his game.  

Rumour has it Bayern are one of the clubs interested in signing him actually... https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpools-hopes-keeping-emre-can-12189078.amp

Maybe I’m wrong about him and he is actually no good at all? Fuck knows?

Maybe you lot are right and all these managers that he’s played under as well as the ones that want him have been having wool pulled over their eyes for the last 6 years :what:

Well he would have been 18/19, he had a full year at Leverkussen after as well. I dont think hes crap dont get me wrong I think hes a fine squad player but he doesnt seem to see himself as that, but hey good for him maybe he could still turn into more.

As far as our interest in him? I dont see it our midfield is absolutely packed full with Goretzka joining in the summer and Sanches's loan deal ending.

45 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It’s not true really though is it? 

I find it very hard to believe that a 17 year old can make 4 appearances for Bayern Munich, 29 appearances for CL side Leverkusen, over 150 appearances for Liverpool and 20 appearances for the National World Champions as well as being chased by Juventus and Manchester City amongst others, all before the age of 24 and under multiple managers .....If he’s ‘very slow upstairs’. 

I think it’s more likely, much more likely in fact, that a couple of people on the internet that are not accociated with football whatsoever, could possibly be wrong in their assessment? 

Mate I actually rate Can a lot more than most of our fans on here, You can see the talent is there but the points made about his inconsistency and dwelling on the ball for too long are all valid. 

Its obvious he's gonna be off in the summer anyway because he doesn't want to sign a new contract and clearly has his heart set on a move elsewhere and the fact most of our fans aren't really bothered speaks volumes, he's a good player with a lot of potential but we could easily replace him if he leaves.

• Subscriber

Spurs linked with Jonny Evans. Telegraph reporting that West Brom have a £3mil release clause for him if they get relegated. What on earth was going through their heads?

12 minutes ago, UNORTHODOX said:

Mate I actually rate Can a lot more than most of our fans on here, You can see the talent is there but the points made about his inconsistency and dwelling on the ball for too long are all valid. 

Its obvious he's gonna be off in the summer anyway because he doesn't want to sign a new contract and clearly has his heart set on a move elsewhere and the fact most of our fans aren't really bothered speaks volumes, he's a good player with a lot of potential but we could easily replace him if he leaves.

Our fans not being bothered doesn’t really interest me mate. 

Most of them kicked up a massive stink when we signed Lallana for £25m. 

Most of them went berserk when we didn’t scrap the signing of VVD instead of signing a plan B.

A slice of them weren’t happy that we ‘overpayed’ for a Chelsea reject (Salah).

Most of them wet the bed when Firmino first came to the club for £28m. 

Have a look in the Mane thread if you can find it. People cringinging because we’d payed so much for ‘another Southampton player’.  

The list is endless, full of bad calls.  

You catch my drift? 

19 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Well he would have been 18/19, he had a full year at Leverkussen after as well. I dont think hes crap dont get me wrong I think hes a fine squad player but he doesnt seem to see himself as that, but hey good for him maybe he could still turn into more.

As far as our interest in him? I dont see it our midfield is absolutely packed full with Goretzka joining in the summer and Sanches's loan deal ending.

I agree with this - and I don't think there's a whole lot of development that's really happened with Can. One comment I've seen regarding him online, from someone who hadn't seen very much of him since he left Germany was:

I used to follow Can's development quite closely, him being from Frankfurt and all, but haven't been paying that much attention recently.

Is he still showing flashes of brilliance, but is generally quite unreliable and not great at positional play?

And if you look at what the Liverpool fans on here who don't rate Can that highly... I think that description of him is spot on. And yeah, he's definitely improved a bit since joining us... but he's not developed a whole lot at all. Because the exact same weaknesses he had before are the exact same weaknesses he still has.

There's also this from Bayerns' Heyncke's:

“There are certain criteria that a player should meet,” the 72-year-old told Kicker. “I had Can for a few months in 12/13. He trained instep kicking with a pendulum ball. This is the ABC of football, this should be already a mastered skill at this point.

“He is a good boy. He has developed nicely, he’s dynamic, powerful, but in my opinion, if Bayern wants to be a dominating team in Europe, there should be a specific player with certain abilities in every position. For me it’s also important that the footballing concept is at a very high level, not only physicality, speed, no, many abilities play a role. That’s how I see it.”

So from the looks of that, he rates Can's raw physical ability. But he doesn't rate Can's football brain. And neither do I - I think it's why he's not developed very much in his time here and why he's still so raw. He's had a lot of playing time this season, and I think he's pretty fortunate that Henderson's had repeated injury problems to get him plenty of chances. And yet, our midfield always looks worse if we've got Can playing the #6 role rather than Hendo.

And that's not to say I don't think Can can't develop further as a player because he's too thick, he certainly can develop as a player... but his progress has been very slow. And if he's rating himself as someone who can be a midfield dynamo at a top level team, when he's not even shown he can be a midfield dynamo at a team that's not even really challenging for the title but just a CL spot... and going to demand a lot of money, I'm really not too fussed if he leaves. I'd much rather Juventus or Real Madrid pay him those massive wages and thank him for his years of service as a capable squad player for us.

The player I want the most for our midfield, since we've already got Keita bagged up, is Jorginho. So I welcome Can's departure if it means we're a step closer to signing him.

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Spurs linked with Jonny Evans. Telegraph reporting that West Brom have a £3mil release clause for him if they get relegated. What on earth was going through their heads?

He probably asked for it to be put in otherwise he probably wouldn't have signed. West Brom couldn't have done much if that was the case.

42 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

He's a class act but why would you need him?

We have very little depth/cover for the front 3 and he can play anywhere across the front 3 so I’d guess that’s the reasoning behind it if it’s actually a true rumour. 

All of Mane, Salah and Firmino can interchange or play behind the front three which would free up a space for Werner as well I suppose. 

Basically he would give us real quality options. 

• The title was changed to Premier League Transfer Rumours 2018
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived