talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, True Blue said:

How long will Solskjaer survive under this form and this level of performance?

I don;t think he makes it til Xmas at this rate.

Only 2 wins in the league, 12th in the table and 2 points off relegation, already 5 off the European spots. Their next games are Liverpool (H), Norwich (A), Bournemouth (A) and Brighton (H) in the league. 

1 win in 6 in all competitions (2 if you count the penalty win over Rochdale).

Barely scraping through in the Europa League right now. 

Totally boring football. 

The thing about Utd right now is that no-one fears them and teams see winning against them as a big scalp. It's one thing that annoys me as well that we didn't get a result against them last month. Nothing points to that changing either. I can't see where they'll get  win from in those 4 games, maybe Brighton at home? The other teams I can see them beating Utd.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, True Blue said:

How long will Solskjaer survive under this form and this level of performance?

Would he have survived if he was the manager of Liverpool, Chelsea, City etc at this given time? no way, he would have been out of the door.

Jose survived last year when the team was going nowhere but the defeat by Liverpool was the nail in the coffin for him and that game was at Anfield, United play Liverpool next at OT and I wonder if Woody Woodpecker and the Glazers use that as an excuse in giving Ole the boot if they lose? Déjà Vu

39 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Would he have survived if he was the manager of Liverpool, Chelsea, City etc at this given time? no way, he would have been out of the door.

Jose survived last year when the team was going nowhere but the defeat by Liverpool was the nail in the coffin for him and that game was at Anfield, United play Liverpool next at OT and I wonder if Woody Woodpecker and the Glazers use that as an excuse in giving Ole the boot if they lose? Déjà Vu

Would be harsh if it was in a game against this Liverpool. Not many would be shocked if they would lose to be fair.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Would be harsh if it was in a game against this Liverpool. Not many would be shocked if they would lose to be fair.

Our son being a Pool supporter said yesterday when he visited and I mentioned you should beat us at OT "Not too sure about that pops, I don't think we will go all season undefeated and we could easily lose the match at OT" that's a little bit of hope but I bet 'a pound for a penny' if we do beat them we will then lose the next league match away to  Norwich City, I am trying not to think about the Partizan Belgrade game coming up before Norwich.

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Our son being a Pool supporter said yesterday when he visited and I mentioned you should beat us at OT "Not too sure about that pops, I don't think we will go all season undefeated and we could easily lose the match at OT" that's a little bit of hope but I bet 'a pound for a penny' if we do beat them we will then lose the next league match away to  Norwich City, I am trying not to think about the Partizan Belgrade game coming up before Norwich.

Partizan will be a tough one, they will literally bleed for their home game to get a result.

1 hour ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Regardless of the circumstances (way too old and poor team for) it doesnt take away from the great player he was for Bayern and Germany. Retiring at the end of the season. 

Just a shame he tarnished his career by playing for you set of wankers :ph34r:

Netherland's, like always, have a great group of young players. What's your thoughts on D. Hoogewerf @Panna King? van der Ploeg and ETH both seem to think he has the potential to be a very good player at the pro level and I'm sure they were disappointed to see him turn down ajax for Man utd. Two-footed dribbler that is already scoring for United's youth team on the regular.

Mejbri, Hoogewerf, and Sweden born Elanga are future stars and will make the current Chelsea young players look average. 

18 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Netherland's, like always, have a great group of young players. What's your thoughts on D. Hoogewerf @Panna King? van der Ploeg and ETH both seem to think he has the potential to be a very good player at the pro level and I'm sure they were disappointed to see him turn down ajax for Man utd. Two-footed dribbler that is already scoring for United's youth team on the regular.

Mejbri, Hoogewerf, and Sweden born Elanga are future stars and will make the current Chelsea young players look average. 

Hoogewerf has been good for the young Dutch national sides and also he was doing class at Ajax before he left as he rejected to sign a professional contact with them, again another thing that needs to be changed.    It all depends if he will get chances at Man Utd like Chong who is getting the odd game here and there. 

The same youth players who dominated both domestically and in Europe at youth level for half a decade and are now main contributors to us being 5 points ahead of you.

One being the top goal scorer in the league and another being the top goal scoring midfielder. 

Yeah. They’ll Definitely make them look average xD

• Subscriber
22 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Pogba out for at least six weeks. 

Sorry, Teso, I know you think a lot of the guy...but... 9_9

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Sorry, Teso, I know you think a lot of the guy...but... 9_9

giphy.gif

Please tell me this means you'll have Fred starting against us.

Fred may genuinely be one of the worst football players I've ever seen. And I've seen Salif Diao play.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

Pete S. said it best, he is playing way too deep AND he still manages to have the type of stats(while picking up the rest of the midfield slack) l that henderson wishes he could have for at least one season. xD

Henderson's job isn't to be a creator though? His job is to do the legwork for our creators. They're different styles of midfielders - Henderson's been used for us most recently as a box to box midfielder, and before that a holding midfielder. The way our side's set up, Henderson's got a vital role for us - we're not asking for him to be a playmaker. We're asking for him to work hard for 90 minutes in the engine-room of our side.

It's not really an apt comparison. But if you wanted to compare our midfields, you could ask why one side's got a system with some pretty clear cut and defined roles for all central midfielders we have out on the pitch - and why that group of hardworking and well drilled players is so effective... and then you could ask why one side doesn't really appear to have a plan for it's midfield and keeps hoping it's most creative midfielder will just be able to bail them out on individual talent?

I've said it pretty consistently since he's joined Man Utd, I don't think Pogba's a bad player - I think he's just in a situation where he's not in a midfield that's built for his skillset. And tbh there are times where he looks frustrated as fuck that he's the only one creating chances and the movement in front of him is just too poor for him to create anything really meaningful to break a deadlock.

For United to get the most out of Pogba, they've got to actually build a midfield that makes use of what Pogba's good at. That's what we've done at Liverpool, we've got a creative front 3, we've got some very creative fullbacks, so our midfield really just acts as the engine room to allow our creators to... create. United have a very good midfielder in Pogba, but there's no cohesive system in the midfield that's set up to get the most out of him.

It's really something that's plagued United since Ferguson left - throughout the side there's just a lack of cohesion and identity on the pitch. And ultimately, that's the first thing that needs to be addressed for United to make meaningful progress towards their goals.

Cos at the end of the day, football's a team sport. Every once in a while you'll get a generational talent that'll be a part of your side that can carry even a very shit side to push well above it's weight - and while I think Pogba's very good, his time with United - where he doesn't have the wealth of talent working with him like he does with France and like he did with Juve - underscore that Pogba's not the type of midfielder that'll grab a match by the scruff of it's neck and get United the 3 points. If he were... well United would've had a different season last season and they'd not be in the bottom half right now. So the issue at Manchester United shouldn't be signing big name players to get the most out of Pogba - it should be signing the right players that fit the long term vision of the team, that'll also add into getting the most out of Pogba.

But with Ed Woodward making decisions... I'm not sure how much cohesion and identity you'll have. That man is probably most responsible for the erosion of the cohesion and identity that Ferguson left you lot.

• Upvote 1

These chances created stats are pointless without any context. Define 'chance created'. Is it a five yard pass to Rashford who's thirty yards out, who then twats it high over the bar into the Stretford End? If so, I'm assuming there will be plenty of them

13 hours ago, LFCMike said:

These chances created stats are pointless without any context. Define 'chance created'. Is it a five yard pass to Rashford who's thirty yards out, who then twats it high over the bar into the Stretford End? If so, I'm assuming there will be plenty of them

Tbf I think Pogba's one of the few people at United that consistently creates chances for them. I don't think he's a bad player. I just don't think he was worth what was paid for him, where you'd expect the player to be the sort to grab a match by the scruff of the neck.

I understand why there's a lot of frustration with him among Manchester United fans. When you sign a player at that price, there's a sort of silent promise that you're getting someone world class. I don't think it was a decision that was made with a lot of research on what the impact for United on the pitch will mean - I think it was "let's sign this kid back, he's tearing Italy apart right now" without really considering the massive differences between United's midfield and Juventus's.

They've got the ambition of a top side. But they don't have the vision or plan to get back to where they want to go. They need to sack Woodward (or limit him to just developing the club commercially) and get a Director of Football and actually start working towards a plan. If you put Pogba in a better midfield, he suddenly becomes a much better player - he's just not the sort of player that'll raise a team's level on his own. But to be fair to him, I think there are very few players like that in the world.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf I think Pogba's one of the few people at United that consistently creates chances for them. I don't think he's a bad player. I just don't think he was worth what was paid for him, where you'd expect the player to be the sort to grab a match by the scruff of the neck.

I understand why there's a lot of frustration with him among Manchester United fans. When you sign a player at that price, there's a sort of silent promise that you're getting someone world class. I don't think it was a decision that was made with a lot of research on what the impact for United on the pitch will mean - I think it was "let's sign this kid back, he's tearing Italy apart right now" without really considering the massive differences between United's midfield and Juventus's.

They've got the ambition of a top side. But they don't have the vision or plan to get back to where they want to go. They need to sack Woodward (or limit him to just developing the club commercially) and get a Director of Football and actually start working towards a plan. If you put Pogba in a better midfield, he suddenly becomes a much better player - he's just not the sort of player that'll raise a team's level on his own. But to be fair to him, I think there are very few players like that in the world.

Pogba is clearly their most creative player. Not hard looking at the other names though. I was merely pointing out that using stats like that without any detail is pointless. A chance created is just the last pass before a shot. It doesn't tell us anything about the quality of the chance that has been created