talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Group F Matchday 1 - 17/18th June - Germany 0-1 Mexico, Sweden 1-0 South Korea

football forum

Just now, Spike said:

It took that long during the Aus v Fra match

I'm pointing to the situation you said where a potential counter attack is about to develope, when the opponent is just passing the ball after the foul than it doesn't hurt to yake 30 secs.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SirBalon said:

To be honest mate... I’m with you in that some refs shouldn’t be at the tournament. How he didn’t see that as a penalty in realtime is beyond me. 

I think it will lower the standard of decision making for refs. If they don't have to make those decisions and just let them go to VAR everytime, it will eventually affect the control of the game outside the penalty areas. If they can't make a decision in the penslty area hiw can we rely on them to make decision anywhere else for a foul?

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Spike said:

Uhh, no. I expect the ref to stop play review VAR and then make a decision. Not make a decision, let play continue, stop play, and then make a new decision. That is stupid.

why would the referee instantly ask for a change in a decision after he thinks he's made the correct decision?

South Korea were way too predictable. I see some potential but we won't see it in this world cup. Shin Tae Yong is clueless.

Just now, Stan said:

why would the referee instantly ask for a change in a decision after he thinks he's made the correct decision?

You misunderstood me, I said if the ref knows he can't make a decision based on what is seen  he should automatically differ to VAR. He wouldn't make a decision till VAR is consulted

• Administrator
Just now, Spike said:

You misunderstood me, I said if the ref knows he can't make a decision based on what is seen  he should automatically differ to VAR. He wouldn't make a decision till VAR is consulted

but based on what he's seen from the ONE angle he gets, he's made a decision which he thinks is correct. In his mind, he's made the correct decision.

There's this talk about the delay either of play continuing or referees going over to review it themselves, but it's vastly improved from when VAR was used in previous games. The decisions so far have been fairly quick, especially the Peru/Denmark game where that penalty was given.

2 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

That game doesn’t belong in a World Cup. Absolutely shocking!

Calm down. 

Both sides were average, Korea finally went forwards finally in the last 15 or so. If they used their talent and ran at Sweden, different game and different result. 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

But what about this game, when the referee has made a clear error? Is VAR just not to be used cause he already made the decision on the field?  

3 minutes ago, Devon Von Devon said:

What's grassrolling actually ? xD

It’s when you press the grass with a rolling weight. If you have a garden you know this!  xD

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think it will lower the standard of decision making for refs. If they don't have to make those decisions and just let them go to VAR everytime, it will eventually affect the control of the game outside the penalty areas. If they can't make a decision in the penslty area hiw can we rely on them to make decision anywhere else for a foul?

I totally agree with you that it should be the ref referring for assistance (in this case VAR) when he isn’t sure. How he wasn’t sure on that decision is totally ridiculous.

What I think they want with VAR is not to stop the game for every contentious decision but in that manner it’s defeating the reasons behind it. Bringing back the game even if it is for the correct decision will destroy one of the things football is about which is continuity. 

• The title was changed to Group F Matchday 1 - 17/18th June - Germany 0-1 Mexico, Sweden 1-0 South Korea
Just now, Stan said:

but based on what he's seen from the ONE angle he gets, he's made a decision which he thinks is correct. In his mind, he's made the correct decision.

There's this talk about the delay either of play continuing or referees going over to review it themselves, but it's vastly improved from when VAR was used in previous games. The decisions so far have been fairly quick, especially the Peru/Denmark game where that penalty was given.

How do you know that the ref thinks it is correct? You can't prove how often a ref is unsure about whatever decision they've made. They are human, there is no way that when a call is made a ref is 100% sure everytime, they have to operate in the moment and if the one angle he gets doesn't disseminate enough information to make a call, then divert to  VAR. Otherwise we may as well use VAR on every decision and retroactively give out fouls all over the pitch.

This ref was very happy to blow the whistle everytime it was outside the box.

3 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan M.D. said:

But what about this game, when the referee has made a clear error? Is VAR just not to be used cause he already made the decision on the field?  

If an error has been made it has been made. Players make errors, I make errors, you make errors, we make errors, and VAR will as well. Yes, VAR shouldn't be used when a decision is already made, other wise I support VAR. 

4 hours ago, nudge said:

Also poor player selection by Löw; we looked much more dangerous when Reus and later Brandt came on, way too late though. Apparently before the tournament started, Reus was told that he won't be starting the first few matches because Löw "expects the tournament to be very long" and they'll need Reus "in more important matches later". How fucking arrogant is that, just shows what's wrong with the attitude of the team and even more so the attitude of Löw and how he overestimates himself.

If that's what he said then yes it is a bit arrogant and also dismissive of the opposition they are likely to face along the way... That he can just assume that the group stages are a mere formality for his side which is how that's coming across just reeks of banana skin material... 

I wonder how that Humble Pie tasted yesterday evening... probably not very nice but was all that was on the menu... 

Having said that I fully expect the likes of Germany, Brazil & Argentina to improve a lot...  Just how much they improve remains to be seen, Another slip up for any of these sides could mean a lot of underwear changing... 

Just now, Spike said:

If an error has been made it has been made. Players make errors, I make errors, you make errors, we make errors, and VAR will as well. Yes, VAR shouldn't be used when a decision is already made, other wise I support VAR. 

Then I just don't know how VAR can be used in that case? It'll in most cases be used after an initial decision is made. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Devon Von Devon said:

Are boyish looks adored in East/South East Asia or they just can't/don't grow facial hair ?

Mostly the latter, but in most of SE Asia, clean complexion with smooth skin and no hair is also desired. Also, people in general have very youthful looks here, at least before their 50s. 

Limit VAR to penalty area and let the ref take the decision if the opposition thinks its not right let the captain call for a review within 10s if the review shows the team was right to review it their review remains and they can review later in the game but if the ref was right then they can't call for review anymore in the match.

• Subscriber
Just now, Devon Von Devon said:

Limit VAR to penalty area and let the ref take the decision if the opposition thinks its not right let the captain call for a review within 10s if the review shows the team was right to review it their review remains and they can review later in the game but if the ref was right then they can't call for review anymore in the match.

Can you imagine the pandamonium and time wasting that will occur if you let players decide to call it on every turn? It will be like when players try to get other players booked and all have their hands up like they are at some kind of rave concert.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

If that's what he said then yes it is a bit arrogant and also dismissive of the opposition they are likely to face along the way... That he can just assume that the group stages are a mere formality for his side which is how that's coming across just reeks of banana skin material... 

I wonder how that Humble Pie tasted yesterday evening... probably not very nice but was all that was on the menu... 

Having said that I fully expect the likes of Germany, Brazil & Argentina to improve a lot...  Just how much they improve remains to be seen, Another slip up for any of these sides could mean a lot of underwear changing... 

Having just watched the Sweden - South Korea match, a win against both of them is a must... 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Mostly the latter, but in most of SE Asia, clean complexion with smooth skin and no hair is also desired. Also, people in general have very youthful looks here, at least before their 50s. 

You can look youthful even with facial hair.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

He has put lots of interesting things in his mouth over the years. I'll bet Humble Pie tasted like gourmet to him.

Just now, Mel81x said:

Can you imagine the pandamonium and time wasting that will occur if you let players decide to call it on every turn? It will be like when players try to get other players booked and all have their hands up like they are at some kind of rave concert.

Only in penalty box and if they get it wrong then they can't do it anymore. It works perfectly in Hockey and Its a way more faster sport than football.

Archived