Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Round of 16 - Tuesday 3rd July - Sweden 1-0 Switzerland

Kick-off 3pm

Venue - Krestovsky Stadium, St Petersburg

Lichtsteiner and Schär both suspended for the next match.

Hope Petkovic picks Elvedi instead of Djourou to replace Schär. Lang should replace Lichtsteiner. Wouldn't mind seeing Drmic starting as well, looked good yesterday after coming on for Gavranovic.

Sweden is probably a more suitable opponent for the Swiss than Mexico, looking forward to the match.

• Upvote 1

What an opportunity for these two teams, win this and then play us or Colombia for a chance to get to a WC semi. I fancy Sweden

It's too close to call for me. I like both teams, and both have done well to reach this stage, but prefer the Swiss going through. Have a feeling that the Swedes with their ruthless efficiency will edge it though, especially as the Swiss are missing both Schär and Lichtsteiner through suspensions.

• Upvote 1

@nudge what's going on with Shaqiri and Xhaka? Are they still facing a ban for the way they celebrated against Serbia?

Just now, Stan said:

@nudge what's going on with Shaqiri and Xhaka? Are they still facing a ban for the way they celebrated against Serbia?

No, they were fined, that's the end of the story! 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

No, they were fined, that's the end of the story! 

good!

I can see a Swiss win here today because for all the work the Swedes put in this Switzerland team are very hard to break down when it comes to playing defensively. I peg it as a close win for Switzerland.

I really need the Swiss to win...

football forum

I genuinely feel bad about saying another Euro clash should be boring, but I'm sure even Europeans think this about this game. I can see the Swiss trying to make it a bit exciting but with both teams ultimately trying to keep their shape.

I want Switzerland to win. As much as I symphatize with Sweden, I really liked the Shaqiri gestures against Serbia. Even if they were racist, the whole story was fascinating to read about. 

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

I genuinely feel bad about saying another Euro clash should be boring, but I'm sure even Europeans think this about this game. I can see the Swiss trying to make it a bit exciting but with both teams ultimately trying to keep their shape.

I want Switzerland to win. As much as I symphatize with Sweden, I really liked the Shaqiri gestures against Serbia. Even if they were racist, the whole story was fascinating to read about. 

First time I've seen anyone describe the gestures as "racist"...

• Upvote 2

Ugh. not staying up to watch this one

It's good to see Drmic starting upfront instead of Seferovic or Gavranovic, but it's disappointing (but expected) to have Djourou in CB, would have preferred Elvedi instead. Anyway, I'm quite excited for the match, if both don't decide to sit back, it could be very entertaining.

Hopp Schwiiz! 

A few defenders suspended for this... we might see some funny defending here.

Hopefully two teams going for it and not a boring 0-0 as the bookies suggest.

I believe Switzerland have got it in them to just come out on top, that extra talent.

• Upvote 1

football forum

Looks like coverage everywhere has been wank

Open goal and puts it in the exact opposite direction. Keep this up Sweden.

Switzerland are a second half team as always.

This feels likes a playoff to qualify for the World Cup, rather than one to get into the quarters.

That was almost the perfect free kick by Rodríguez... None of the Swiss players even read it and probably wouldn't have got there due to it being too close to the Swedish keeper, but that type of cross is missing from football these days.

Neither aof these teams look that good. If I was England in would be looking on thinking one of these shit teams could definitely knock us out :ph34r:

Great opportunity and it should have been put away.

football forum

This hasn't been a bad game. Not the best I've ever seen but its a lot more tactical than Croatia vs Denmark which was missing ethic and technique from their respective sides. Both teams have had their chances to take the lead. Switzerland have been wasteful where as Sweden have been unlucky because of Yann Sommer.

couple of good opportunities but that one missed by Ekdal just then was the best chance and biggest miss. Should have buried that.

That was amateur from the Sweden number 8. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Just now, SirBalon said:

That was amateur from the Sweden number 8. Absolutely ridiculous. 

He didn't even need to do what he did. Just side-foot it and the goalkeeper really has no chance. SMH.

• Upvote 1

for all the small stature of the player, Shaqiri is a very big Swiss fish in a small pond. By far the most creative player on the park. Sweden need to stick 2-3 players on him to nullify him.

5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

He didn't even need to do what he did. Just side-foot it and the goalkeeper really has no chance. SMH.

Indeed... The pace was already there from the pass and all it needed was to be guided in and it's not as if he didn't have enough time. 

52 minutes ago, Blue said:

Looks like coverage everywhere has been wank

In fairness, Phil Neville is actually mentally retarded. You can’t blame him for saying stupid things because otherwise you’d be banning him from ever speaking. 

• Upvote 1