Jump to content
talkfootball365
  • Welcome!

    Tired of Kevins and Karens on Facebook and other social media platforms?

    Our forum is completely focused on football and moderated to keep discussions civil. Sound good? Sign up!

Cult heroes


football forum
 Share

Recommended Posts

Does your club have any cult heroes?

The introduction of Yohan Benalouane to our team of late makes me think we have our latest one.

Benalouane is a Tunisian international defender. He was signed out of the blue in August 2015 from Atalanta for about £7mil (!!!) and has hardly kicked a ball for us. He played in the League Cup, quite well may I add, but never really broke into our side. He then went out on loan to Fiorentina, didn't play a minute and has spent the majority of this season playing in our youth team.

But Morgan's recent injury has seen a surprise chance come up for him and he's actually done very well. He's easily our best defender on the ball and he's not too shabby defensively either. If Morgan was fit for Sunderland at home I'm not convinced he'd be starting.

All of this mixed in with the most bizarre run of social media posts ever since he's joined the club, in an era where that matters as much as it ever has, he's become one of the most bizarrely popular players of the lot.

Anyone like this at your own club?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sign up to remove this ad.

Jakupovic is a bit of a cult hero for us. We signed him on a free from Greece back in 2012 when Steve Bruce first took over and he played a handful of games in the Championship but despite keeping 3 clean sheets in 4 game he was not a reassuring presence in goal and the rest of his playing time was limited to cup games. After our promotion to the Premier League and the arrival of Allan McGregor and Steve Harper in 2013/14 Jakupovic's playing time diminished even more. He was loaned out to Leyton Orient where he quickly became a fan favourite,  an Orient fan said he would clean all the seats in one of Orient's stands if they extended his loan, which they ultimately did.

After his return from Orient he once again saw his playing time very limited in our relegation from the Premier League in the 2014/15 season however after nearly three years at the club he made his first notable contribution by keeping a clean sheet at Anfield. Jakupovic really started to capture the attention of fans last season particularly in the 0-0 draw against Arsenal in the FA cup where he made 12 saves, one of which went viral when his reaction to his own save was broadcast:

Despite this Jakupovic still didn't feature regularly however when McGregor was injured he had to deputise for him in the play-off final. McGregor's injury carried over to this season and for the first time in his five year spell Jakupovic had a run in the first team. Until David Marshall was signed. Surprisingly however Marshall has performed very poorly this season and ultimately Jakupovic won back his spot in the starting XI and has made more league appearances this season than he had in his previous four combined. While he isn't the best goalkeeper in terms of ability he is certainly the most likeable and has endeared himself to the supporters through his performances against big teams like Arsenal last season and Man Utd in February, his eccentricity and his passion for the club best summed up in this video from yesterday following Ranocchia's winner. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure what the feeling is in Bremen. But for me Sandro Wagner will always have a special place in my heart. The 2010/11 season we had a million injuries, had to make half a dozen emergency loans just to field a matchday squad, which meant Wagner got a go. While he wasn't amazing by any stretch of the imagination he scored 5 goals that season, and we didn't lose a single game when he scored. We would likely have gone down if not for those 5 goals.

 

He is now a very respectable Bundesliga striker for Hoff, scored 11 so far this season, and best of luck to him

Edited by Tanksie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Does your club have any cult heroes?

The introduction of Yohan Benalouane to our team of late makes me think we have our latest one.

Benalouane is a Tunisian international defender. He was signed out of the blue in August 2015 from Atalanta for about £7mil (!!!) and has hardly kicked a ball for us. He played in the League Cup, quite well may I add, but never really broke into our side. He then went out on loan to Fiorentina, didn't play a minute and has spent the majority of this season playing in our youth team.

But Morgan's recent injury has seen a surprise chance come up for him and he's actually done very well. He's easily our best defender on the ball and he's not too shabby defensively either. If Morgan was fit for Sunderland at home I'm not convinced he'd be starting.

All of this mixed in with the most bizarre run of social media posts ever since he's joined the club, in an era where that matters as much as it ever has, he's become one of the most bizarrely popular players of the lot.

Anyone like this at your own club?

Kante is surely the definition of a cult hero, surely?

First season, dominates the division, unknown entity to hero within 9 months. Helps win the league for us, totally influential to our game and led us to success in his own little way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great shout about Eldin Jakupovic. He was easily the best keeper I've seen at Orient and we loved him here. 

From our squad now?! People seem to love Nigel Atangana but he's been rubbish all season and he's consequently been dropped and people have gone a bit cold towards him. But from the rest of the squad, I'd say no one at all because we have bigger issues than who's playing for the club. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tanksie said:

Not sure what the feeling is in Bremen. But for me Sandro Wagner will always have a special place in my heart. The 2010/11 season we had a million injuries, had to make half a dozen emergency loans just to field a matchday squad, which meant Wagner got a go. While he wasn't amazing by any stretch of the imagination he scored 5 goals that season, and we didn't lose a single game when he scored. We would likely have gone down if not for those 5 goals.

 

He is now a very respectable Bundesliga striker for Hertha, scored 11 so far this season, and best of luck to him

You mean Hoffenheim, surely ;) 

Anyway, when it comes to Werder, Ailton was definitely THE definition of a cult hero. Started poorly under Magath after joining us, but then developed into a goal machine and played a very important role in our successful spell in mid 2000s, becoming the top goalscorer and winning Footballer of the Year (first foreigner to do it) in the Bundesliga  in the process. His off-pitch antics, especially his melodramatic interviews were always the best xD He's a crazy mofo, a true entertainer, the fans loved him and still do hehe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Romesh said:

Kante is surely the definition of a cult hero, surely?

First season, dominates the division, unknown entity to hero within 9 months. Helps win the league for us, totally influential to our game and led us to success in his own little way. 

Kante's too obvious to be a cult hero. It's got to be someone less fancied. Others for us have been Wasilewski & Taylor-Fletcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

You forgot about the time all the mouth-breathers talked shit about him because he played for PSG against Chelsea.

The same people who talked shit about Lampard. cough' terminator x cough'. Bad cough, need to get that sorted. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The same people who talked shit about Lampard. cough' terminator x cough'. Bad cough, need to get that sorted. 

Love Lampard. Who gives a shit if a Chelsea player joins any club outside of London?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Love Lampard. Who gives a shit if a Chelsea player joins any club outside of London?

Of which that player wanted a new contract but we didn't offer him one xD

Law got United relegated and they have a statue of him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Cannabis said:

Only just seen this thread, don't know how I've missed it. 

For us one stands out from the crowd and his name is Denis Stracqualursi. He was signed in 2011 by David Moyes on a season long loan deal and went into folklore for his hard work, commitment and never say die attitude. 

Despite being clearly out of his depth in the English Premier League he always ran himself into the ground and put everything on the line for the shirt. It's all we can ask for in a player and I think Evertonians really respected that. Moyes also said that Denis would be the first one into training and the last one out as he really wanted to prove himself after winning the lottery so to speak at being given the chance to play in England. 

He scored his first league goal for the club against Chelsea and burst into tears during his celebration as it hit home that he'd fulfilled a dream in scoring in the Premier League. He netted against Fulham and Blackpool in the cup aswell to finish the season on three goals. His loan deal was not extended at the end of the season and he now currently plays for Santa Fe in Columbia. Despite not being the best player we've ever had he goes down in history as being one of the hardest working. 

 

 

Most amazing thing about the vid is you lot beating a decent team under Moyes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

football forum
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...