talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Raul Jimenez Signs Permanently for Wolves

Wolves are closing in on the signing of Benfica forward Raul Jimenez, according to Sky sources.

The 27-year-old is set to join the newly-promoted Premier League club on a season-long loan.

Jimenez is a Mexico international and will be in action at the upcoming World Cup in Russia.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

He was priced at £40m when we were linked last summer. Wonder how long it takes for people to stop saying they're looking forward to seeing how good Wolves will be in the Championship and giving them the same treatment that Chelsea and Man City used to get for buying success.

10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

He was priced at £40m when we were linked last summer. Wonder how long it takes for people to stop saying they're looking forward to seeing how good Wolves will be in the Championship and giving them the same treatment that Chelsea and Man City used to get for buying success.

I presume that talk will happen once they come close to winning something.

• Subscriber
15 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

I presume that talk will happen once they come close to winning something.

The Championship/Promotion counts for me. QPR are probably a better comparison, they didn't get much sympathy.

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The Championship/Promotion counts for me. QPR are probably a better comparison, they didn't get much sympathy.

They were getting complaints from other clubs about their methods in the Football League. The national media campaign will only gather pace when they do well on a cup competition I reckon or split the top six.

Wolves should finish in the top 10 this season, and they will be given stick by managers and some pundits along the way. It'll take them winning something or breaking the top 6 to start getting the moneybags criticism. 

Loaned for a season with a €35M buy clause. Good deal considering he was never a regular starter.

Only 32 goals in his 148 league games in Europe. Mexican Shane Long some might say, but seriously, he's a work horse and could work on Nuno's system as those who have watched Wolves last season know they don't rely on a single goal scorer to win games.

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Raul Jimenez - Wolves to Sign Striker on Permanent Transfer
  • Subscriber

If you look at his goalscoring record throughout his career it's really not that impressive, and if your goal return is average in a league like the Portuguese one it's difficult to make a case for you being a worthwhile £35m signing for a Premier League side. I was pretty alarmed when we were linked with a £40m move for him last summer and I looked up his 11 in 35 goal record for Benfica the season before.

He's done okay for Wolves to be fair but think that's a bit steep for what he offers.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Probably one of the best players outside the top. 6. Really good striker and I actually enjoy watching him. Good finisher and fits perfectly in that well-organised Wolves side. 

• 6 months later...
Just now, Teso dos Bichos said:

What? Being proud of one of club America's finest youth academy player? 

Oh if it's for that then okay i agree he is a brilliant player. I was referring to his goals against Liverpool etc, that it was a mocking act. Forgot he was Mexican to be fair, and forgot you were too.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Dan said:

Very good striker to be honest. One of the best outside the top six.

Agreed. Not quite Vardy levels but would definitely love him in our side.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Teso dos Bichos said:

I would take him over vardy any day. Way more of a complete player who is lethal with PKs. 

If you're talking about record against big six clubs (like the 3rd tweet you posted), Vardy's record is unquestionable.

Just because you're lethal with penalties, doesn't make him a more complete player if that's what you're alluding to?

Jimenez, since joining Wolves, has 15 goals in 46 games. Vardy has 23 in 40 in the same time-frame and part of that was playing in a vastly defensive side under Puel.

To be honest, I have no idea why I'm arguing the point - nothing will change your mind purely because Jimenez is Mexican and you'll back him any day but simultaneously refuse to give credit to anyone/anything Leicester-related.

I'll happily back Vardy as well but can equally recognise Jimenez is a quality striker. I think you genuinely find it hard to do the same for Vardy xD 

• 1 month later...

Archived