• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Sri Lanka Attacks - 300+ Killed As Hotels & Churches Targeted

Recommended Posts

Just seen some pictures of it. Absolutely terrible :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can truly say that the World is near its end when their are many people who are hoping that a certain group or people should be behind this attack and they will be truly disappointed if it doesn't turns out to be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 blasts as of now. 180+ confirmed dead, approx. 500 injured based on latest reports. This is awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it’s almost like there’s a long running genocide against anybody that doesn’t share the collective group think in Asia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What irks me the most (obviously aside from those who have lost their lives) about this is that people have gone to church, on Easter Sunday, knowing they'll be in a place of safety while they pray and while they sit in peace. Sadly today it's anything but :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Stan said:

What irks me the most (obviously aside from those who have lost their lives) about this is that people have gone to church, on Easter Sunday, knowing they'll be in a place of safety while they pray and while they sit in peace. Sadly today it's anything but :( 

Stan are you really that naive to believe a church is a place of safety outside of the west? Or as was Christendom? 

It’s not even safe in Europe anymore the attacks on French churches alone have been numerous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Stan are you really that naive to believe a church is a place of safety outside of the west? Or as was Christendom? 

It’s not even safe in Europe anymore the attacks on French churches alone have been numerous. 

When you weigh up how many churches there are (even outside of the west) and weigh up how many attacks happen, then most are pretty safe. I know there were troubles in Sri Lanka about 10 years ago (?) but since then, had there been much other religious trouble there? Enough to incite a series of planned attacks on churches and/or hotels?!

It's like saying it's not safe to go on a plane because there was a crash that happened. For the most part, they're safe. 

If they weren't, people would totally avoid them. I know it sounds very simplistic and as such is the analogy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

When you weigh up how many churches there are (even outside of the west) and weigh up how many attacks happen, then most are pretty safe. I know there were troubles in Sri Lanka about 10 years ago (?) but since then, had there been much other religious trouble there? Enough to incite a series of planned attacks on churches and/or hotels?!

It's like saying it's not safe to go on a plane because there was a crash that happened. For the most part, they're safe. 

If they weren't, people would totally avoid them. I know it sounds very simplistic and as such is the analogy. 

It’s on virtually every continent at present that in some way shape or form Christians are being persecuted. Nigeria for example still has high turnouts at mass as they believe it’s yhere duty to worship yet Boko Haram threaten. 

In India it’s hindu extremism and resulted in increasing attacks on Christians. In Sri Lanka it’s Buddhist extremists and that’s who I’d pin this on tbh. In China they’re persecuted, in North Korea they’re persecuted. North Africa and the Middle East I’ll let you guess.  Just google Indonesian church attacks. 

The reality it we’re largely ignorant of it in the West because we’ve become secular or don’t want to appear intolerant of other faiths or favouritism of Christians although our system has grown out of Christianity so it’s getting swept under the carpet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stan said:

When you weigh up how many churches there are (even outside of the west) and weigh up how many attacks happen, then most are pretty safe. I know there were troubles in Sri Lanka about 10 years ago (?) but since then, had there been much other religious trouble there? Enough to incite a series of planned attacks on churches and/or hotels?!

It's like saying it's not safe to go on a plane because there was a crash that happened. For the most part, they're safe. 

If they weren't, people would totally avoid them. I know it sounds very simplistic and as such is the analogy. 

The country's two biggest terror groups were(are) secular far-left (JVP) and secular ethno-separatist with strongly anti-Bhuddist and anti-Muslim sentiments(LTTE)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LTTE has a history of committing atrocities against soft targets. I suspect this is an attempt to revive LTTE after Sri Lanka heroically defeated it 10 years ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The nature of the blasts was not immediately clear and there were no immediate claims of responsibility.

But documents seen by AFP show that Sri Lanka's police chief Pujuth Jayasundara issued an intelligence alert to top officers 10 days ago, warning that suicide bombers planned to hit "prominent churches".

"A foreign intelligence agency has reported that the NTJ (National Thowheeth Jama'ath) is planning to carry out suicide attacks targeting prominent churches as well as the Indian high commission in Colombo," the alert said.

The NTJ is a radical Muslim group in Sri Lanka that was linked last year to the vandalisation of Buddhist statues.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/1272/blasts-sri-lanka-hotels-and-churches-kill-156-doc-1ft48d4

 

 

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's so hard to make sense of all this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

In India it’s hindu extremism and resulted in increasing attacks on Christians. 

Don't want to sidetrack this topic, but this bogey was peddled in 2015, by even Guardian, New York times. And never after that. Cause this was the reality.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.firstpost.com/india/crying-wolf-the-narrative-of-the-delhi-church-attacks-flies-in-the-face-of-facts-2101105.html/amp

Almost all incidents turned out to be fake news. But it achieved its purpose and the BJP(right wing party) lost in the Delhi elections. After which we have never heard of Christian attacks. 

New York times even wrote an article of the burning of the church, which was later found out to be an incident of short circuit. Of course, they didn't retract the piece or apologise. 

There are few problems, mostly in South, over missionaries. Something that has existed for decades. But it's convenient to peddle this narrative now because a right wing government is in power. A bit like Jews and minorities under attack in USA under Trump narrative, when most of those turned out to be fake news.

 

@topic

Terrible news this. Ten years of peace and now this. Apparently, the security agencies had warned the police of possible attacks on churches on Easter Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Fairy In Boots said:

It’s on virtually every continent at present that in some way shape or form Christians are being persecuted. Nigeria for example still has high turnouts at mass as they believe it’s yhere duty to worship yet Boko Haram threaten. 

In India it’s hindu extremism and resulted in increasing attacks on Christians. In Sri Lanka it’s Buddhist extremists and that’s who I’d pin this on tbh. In China they’re persecuted, in North Korea they’re persecuted. North Africa and the Middle East I’ll let you guess.  Just google Indonesian church attacks. 

The reality it we’re largely ignorant of it in the West because we’ve become secular or don’t want to appear intolerant of other faiths or favouritism of Christians although our system has grown out of Christianity so it’s getting swept under the carpet. 

There's nothing specific about Christianity.

States like North Korea and China persecute ideologies beyond their control, whatever they are. China might persecute Christians but they also persecute all kinds of spiritual movements like Falun Gong, not to mention their biggest target which is the native Muslim population of Xinjiang. 

Terrorist groups of all faiths attack all other opposing faiths in their target territory. Muslim groups attack Hindus in India and Christians in Northern Nigeria, Hindu groups attack muslims and Christians, Buddhists in India/Burma/Thailand attack Muslims and Christians, 

Churches get attacked in Christian countries too - look at the South in the USA. But they're black churches so nobody gives a shit. 

Trying to piece together a global narrative about a religion as diverse ethnically and theologically as Christianity - or any religion really -  in very different countries just seems like an enormous reach. The situation in a country like Sri Lanka where different terrorist groups struggle for influence in a fairly democratic and pluralistic state is completely different from a situation in China for example in which a secular authoritarian state clamps down on faith groups. 

 

Edited by Inverted
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Azeem said:

It's so hard to make sense of all this 

Politics and Religion are probably responsible for more deaths than any other on the planet in our entire history, you will never make sense of it. The world is a crazy and sadly unsafe place depending on where you are and it will never ever change... 

RIP to all those that lost their lives... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called my friend in Sri Lanka this morning around 8AM to wish him Happy Easter. We laughed about how I never seem to make it down to Sri Lanka anymore and then 30 min later I see this shit on the news and he sent me a pic of the Shangri-La hotel where a bomb went off and he lives next to. 

RIP to everyone that lost their lives today. Its just sad that those people went out today thinking it was going to be a good day and it turned into this kind of a cluster-fuck.

  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

I called my friend in Sri Lanka this morning around 8AM to wish him Happy Easter. We laughed about how I never seem to make it down to Sri Lanka anymore and then 30 min later I see this shit on the news and he sent me a pic of the Shangri-La hotel where a bomb went off and he lives next to. 

RIP to everyone that lost their lives today. Its just sad that those people went out today thinking it was going to be a good day and it turned into this kind of a cluster-fuck.

But he’s alright though? That’s mental living next to that.

Shocking and very sad news. Not sure you can claim this is because of worldwide persecution against Christians when you consider this is Sri Lanka and they’re not the only religion that’s been attacked by terrorists in Sri Lanka. It’s a country where even the government’s been accused of acts of terror.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But he’s alright though? That’s mental living next to that.

Shocking and very sad news. Not sure you can claim this is because of worldwide persecution against Christians when you consider this is Sri Lanka and they’re not the only religion that’s been attacked by terrorists in Sri Lanka. It’s a country where even the government’s been accused of acts of terror.

Yes by bombing churches they were attacking a multitude of faiths. 

4 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Don't want to sidetrack this topic, but this bogey was peddled in 2015, by even Guardian, New York times. And never after that. Cause this was the reality.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.firstpost.com/india/crying-wolf-the-narrative-of-the-delhi-church-attacks-flies-in-the-face-of-facts-2101105.html/amp

Almost all incidents turned out to be fake news. But it achieved its purpose and the BJP(right wing party) lost in the Delhi elections. After which we have never heard of Christian attacks. 

New York times even wrote an article of the burning of the church, which was later found out to be an incident of short circuit. Of course, they didn't retract the piece or apologise. 

There are few problems, mostly in South, over missionaries. Something that has existed for decades. But it's convenient to peddle this narrative now because a right wing government is in power. A bit like Jews and minorities under attack in USA under Trump narrative, when most of those turned out to be fake news.

 

@topic

Terrible news this. Ten years of peace and now this. Apparently, the security agencies had warned the police of possible attacks on churches on Easter Sunday. 

Not really the basis for my comment, there were 2 incidents last year in the south I was referring to. I do appreciate that India is more of a complex beast than just Hindus hating Christians etc. 

 

4 hours ago, Inverted said:

 

There's nothing specific about Christianity.

States like North Korea and China persecute ideologies beyond their control, whatever they are. China might persecute Christians but they also persecute all kinds of spiritual movements like Falun Gong, not to mention their biggest target which is the native Muslim population of Xinjiang. 

Terrorist groups of all faiths attack all other opposing faiths in their target territory. Muslim groups attack Hindus in India and Christians in Northern Nigeria, Hindu groups attack muslims and Christians, Buddhists in India/Burma/Thailand attack Muslims and Christians, 

Churches get attacked in Christian countries too - look at the South in the USA. But they're black churches so nobody gives a shit. 

Trying to piece together a global narrative about a religion as diverse ethnically and theologically as Christianity - or any religion really -  in very different countries just seems like an enormous reach. The situation in a country like Sri Lanka where different terrorist groups struggle for influence in a fairly democratic and pluralistic state is completely different from a situation in China for example in which a secular authoritarian state clamps down on faith groups. 

 

Granted authoritarian states are biased against all religions. By it’s not a stretch it’s an opinion formed by a pew research paper from last year. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/06/21/key-findings-on-the-global-rise-in-religious-restrictions/

when almost 0 Christian states are currently at war compared to Islam I think there’s merit to my point.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

But he’s alright though? That’s mental living next to that.

Yeah hes fine. We spoke a little later in the day and did a video call too. He said that him and his wife were out on the balcony when they heard the sound from the hotel and then other sounds as well. He initially thought something from a gas line had blown (which is apparently common out there) but then the subsequent noises put that theory to bed. 

I think the most disappointing thing here is that they dont know who is truly responsible even though they've arrested some suspects.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 arrested now. A van suspected to have been used to transport bombs used in Colombo explosions taken into Police custody together with the driver. Police also discovered a house used to provide shelter for the attackers.

Prime Minister Ranil Wickremasinghe in his address to the nation mentioned an international connection to today's incidents. He also urged the media not to publicise names of the attackers, warning that other extremist groups could exploit the situation and create more tension between communities. "Don't give extremists a voice. Don't help to make them martyrs".

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Inverted said:

 

There's nothing specific about Christianity.

States like North Korea and China persecute ideologies beyond their control, whatever they are. China might persecute Christians but they also persecute all kinds of spiritual movements like Falun Gong, not to mention their biggest target which is the native Muslim population of Xinjiang. 

Terrorist groups of all faiths attack all other opposing faiths in their target territory. Muslim groups attack Hindus in India and Christians in Northern Nigeria, Hindu groups attack muslims and Christians, Buddhists in India/Burma/Thailand attack Muslims and Christians, 

Churches get attacked in Christian countries too - look at the South in the USA. But they're black churches so nobody gives a shit. 

Trying to piece together a global narrative about a religion as diverse ethnically and theologically as Christianity - or any religion really -  in very different countries just seems like an enormous reach. The situation in a country like Sri Lanka where different terrorist groups struggle for influence in a fairly democratic and pluralistic state is completely different from a situation in China for example in which a secular authoritarian state clamps down on faith groups. 

 

A lot of protesting and raising awareness for Falun Gong in Sydney and Auckland. People have their organs harvested and then sold onto the rich. Crazy.

On topic this is a pretty horrific event, RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danny said:

A lot of protesting and raising awareness for Falun Gong in Sydney and Auckland. People have their organs harvested and then sold onto the rich. Crazy.

On topic this is a pretty horrific event, RIP.

This is well off topic now, but yeah it’s really shit what’s happening with them. Persecution and organ harvesting is obviously awful.

But Falun Gong is also a very weird religion, very much a cult of personality - where the head of the religion proclaims himself as a sort of messiah figure. Considering China’s history with the boxer rebellion, that’s going to be cracked down on in an authoritarian government that’s anti-religion.

That obviously doesn’t excuse human rights violations, though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with every attack of this sort, it's difficult to even know how someone gets to the point where they think doing this makes sense. Not sure how good Sri Lanka's intelligence is but hopefully they stamp out these terrorist groups. RIP to the victims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Not really the basis for my comment, there were 2 incidents last year in the south I was referring to. I do appreciate that India is more of a complex beast than just Hindus hating Christians etc. 

Fair enough. I am not going to deny that compared to first world countries, ours is a violent culture - and that includes all religions and ethnicities (may it be Hindus in North and central parts, Muslims in east and central parts or Kashmir or Christians in North East). I just hate this narrative thing the media is obsessed with, where it selectively highlights  crimes. Something that will instantly stop once the right wing government loses power. 

 

15 hours ago, nudge said:

 

Apparently knew several days in advance and in typical desi fashion did nothing about it. Politicians and government officials in our regions are the worst. 

EDIT

FJG9iFr.jpg

Fuck politicians. 

Edited by IgnisExcubitor
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Apparently knew several days in advance and in typical desi fashion did nothing about it. Politicians and government officials in our regions are the worst. Fuck politicians. 

That's what is so oddly confusing about all this. They knew ahead of time what might happen and yet did nothing. I saw a twitter feed where a person in government went over the letter and asked "why nothing was done?" and the response was that it was considered non-threatening. I don't understand how a country that has had the kind of terrorism inflicted on it can take anything so lightly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

That's what is so oddly confusing about all this. They knew ahead of time what might happen and yet did nothing. I saw a twitter feed where a person in government went over the letter and asked "why nothing was done?" and the response was that it was considered non-threatening. I don't understand how a country that has had the kind of terrorism inflicted on it can take anything so lightly.

Typical of the governments in our region. We changed (to an extent - at least to the threats to the cities)after 26/11. Hopefully, Sri Lanka does too after this. But as always there will be no accountability. Some junior level officer will be punished/transferred and the incompetence of the politicians and people in high positions will be sweeped under the carpet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement