talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

13 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Liverpool fans really are something else aren't they. 

You should be worried. When you’re down in the champo next season, you’ll end up with these useless cunts officiating your matches as part of their “punishment”. 

38 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Liverpool fans really are something else aren't they. 

Can you justify refs taking a midweek side gig for Man City's owner? Seems a bit fucking weird. But I guess it's not like referees would do things like rule out an obviously onside goal or Rodri wouldn't get away with blatant handballs in the box.

Are they just incompetent and shit? Or are they getting paid to fix matches? Kind of hard to tell when they've gone out of their way to create a conflict of interest with taking that side gig.

2 hours ago, Stan said:

A valid point 

This is a fair point. The only thing I'd say is, why can the commentator's and whoever else hear the audio but the viewer can't?

I mean, we're allowed to hear it in Cricket and we can hear it in Rugby. When we do, we can make more sense of the decisions because we can hear them explain how they perceive things.

Rugby has it absolutely spot on in that we, the viewer, can hear the referee all the time too. That's something our sport has alwaya lacked.

I feel like the relationship between fans and officials would build more bridges if we were privy to hearing what was said at all times, not just VAR audio, but the lot.

22 minutes ago, Lucas said:

This is a fair point. The only thing I'd say is, why can the commentator's and whoever else hear the audio but the viewer can't?

I mean, we're allowed to hear it in Cricket and we can hear it in Rugby. When we do, we can make more sense of the decisions because we can hear them explain how they perceive things.

Rugby has it absolutely spot on in that we, the viewer, can hear the referee all the time too. That's something our sport has alwaya lacked.

I feel like the relationship between fans and officials would build more bridges if we were privy to hearing what was said at all times, not just VAR audio, but the lot.

Premier League will never mic a ref up with the way players speak to them. Recipe for disaster

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
Just now, Danny said:

Premier League will never mic a ref up with the way players speak to them. Recipe for disaster

Hand out suspensions for any player caught giving verbals to the refs and they'll soon watch it. They still get away with too much these days. 

Already know who'll come back to that saying refs are shit so they deserve the abuse xD

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Hand out suspensions for any player caught giving verbals to the refs and they'll soon watch it. They still get away with too much these days. 

Already know who'll come back to that saying refs are shit so they deserve the abuse xD

If they're mic'd up, the players would probably stop swearing at refs because they'll be more easily punished retroactively tbh. PGMOL should be doing all they can to give maximum transparency. The idea that they need to be transparent in baby steps is laughable. They've got so little integrity, they need to be making big strides to try to restore it.

I'm still mostly curious about what they do about the refs refereeing in foreign leagues owned by the same people who own some clubs in the league. Michael Oliver's done a match in Saudi Arabia now & a match in the UAE - both own a club in the league. I think Michael Oliver's not allowed to referee Newcastle matches because he's a Newcastle fan - but what about any competitive rivals of Newcastle? Can he be trusted to be objective in the league if he's taken money from two of the owners of two other clubs with his side gigs?

If we're not going to ban state ownership of clubs, and we're obviously not because it's far too late for that considering 2 states already own 2 clubs (and Qatar wants to buy another club in the league, don't they)... we've got to ban our referees from taking side gigs in any other country. Especially when the owners of the league are the same people who own clubs in the league they're meant to be refereeing for... but it's easiest to just ban them from taking any side gigs in any foreign leagues. Aside from protecting the officials from corruption and the appearance of corruption, it also removes the excuse of "whoopsy we're shit because we're tired since we had 2 9 hour flights in the past 3 days."

PGMOL needs to have a higher ethical standard and at this point, I don't trust them to make their own ethical rules. I think the Premier League and Football League should be drafting an ethical standard of conduct for the referees that are going to officiate their matches.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If they're mic'd up, the players would probably stop swearing at refs because they'll be more easily punished retroactively tbh. PGMOL should be doing all they can to give maximum transparency. The idea that they need to be transparent in baby steps is laughable. They've got so little integrity, they need to be making big strides to try to restore it.

I'm still mostly curious about what they do about the refs refereeing in foreign leagues owned by the same people who own some clubs in the league. Michael Oliver's done a match in Saudi Arabia now & a match in the UAE - both own a club in the league. I think Michael Oliver's not allowed to referee Newcastle matches because he's a Newcastle fan - but what about any competitive rivals of Newcastle? Can he be trusted to be objective in the league if he's taken money from two of the owners of two other clubs with his side gigs?

If we're not going to ban state ownership of clubs, and we're obviously not because it's far too late for that considering 2 states already own 2 clubs (and Qatar wants to buy another club in the league, don't they)... we've got to ban our referees from taking side gigs in any other country. Especially when the owners of the league are the same people who own clubs in the league they're meant to be refereeing for... but it's easiest to just ban them from taking any side gigs in any foreign leagues. Aside from protecting the officials from corruption and the appearance of corruption, it also removes the excuse of "whoopsy we're shit because we're tired since we had 2 9 hour flights in the past 3 days."

PGMOL needs to have a higher ethical standard and at this point, I don't trust them to make their own ethical rules. I think the Premier League and Football League should be drafting an ethical standard of conduct for the referees that are going to officiate their matches.

I think you misunderstood what I meant by baby steps but it's a moot point anyway. They won't listen to fans about what should/shouldn't happen.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

They won't listen to fans about what should/shouldn't happen.

This is unfortunately the most likely result of all this.

Say sorry, wait for the outrage to die down, carry on with the same old shite. And then they'll cherry pick some VAR audio to release (cos I don't think they'll ever release the audio from the disallowed offside goal from this weekend, it's either damning or incredibly embarassing for those referees, and they protect their own) and then pat themselves on the back for being so transparent.

And all the while they'll keep fucking up football matches and telling everyone they need to be respected more or they'll keep doing it.

10 hours ago, MUFC said:

It kind of feels more acceptable pre-VAR as it's much more difficult. But when you have replays which still aren't always clear. When it's blatantly obvious with replays what the outcome should be and they're still getting it wrong. Is there any point to it?

Yes. Because as I said, it's a lot less likely that they get offside decisions wrong.

People seemingly have short memories. Main reason this incorrect offside call is a big deal is because it's not normal. And that's a good thing because before it was normal.

Much rather have a terrible offside call 2 or 3 times a season rather than one every week. And those 2 or 3 times could easily be eliminated if the referees choose to do their jobs. Something made easy by VAR.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, 6666 said:

Yes. Because as I said, it's a lot less likely that they get offside decisions wrong.

People seemingly have short memories. Main reason this incorrect offside call is a big deal is because it's not normal. And that's a good thing because before it was normal.

Much rather have a terrible offside call 2 or 3 times a season rather than one every week. And those 2 or 3 times could easily be eliminated if the referees choose to do their jobs. Something made easy by VAR.

But there are VAR general calls literally every week which are wrong.

12 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Fuck the players. Why are we protecting them over game integrity? Maybe they’ll get the message after several bans?

Oh mate I’m with you, but Sky apologise everytime you hear swearing come through. Micing the ref up will be their worst nightmare lol

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What’s on the audio before though

How do you mean?

I think they mean they won't rule out releasing it in advance of the Mic'd up programme...?

29 minutes ago, Stan said:

How do you mean?

I think they mean they won't rule out releasing it in advance of the Mic'd up programme...?

Oh yeah I read that wrong. I blame it on me reading that right after waking up :8_laughing:

Glad it’s being released, hopefully they can learn from it and make the procedure go smoothly for the smooth brained people operating it.

Hopefully he now sacks the refs that went to the UAE and PMGOL and the FA end this silly practice of allowing refs to take on a side gig.

• Administrator

Replay operator the only one on the ball. 

VAR: 'can't do anything' after they've restarted the game. Common sense should dictate you go back to the restart of the game if the mistake is as bad as this. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Replay operator the only one on the ball. 

VAR: 'can't do anything' after they've restarted the game. Common sense should dictate you go back to the restart of the game if the mistake is as bad as this. 

The lack of clarity between all officials involved before he restarted the game is terrible. There was ample opportunity to rectify the mistake before the free kick was taken, but they sat there confused with their finger in their arses.

To not even tell the referee even after the restart is shocking. Yes, it may be against their ‘protocol’ but surely rectify a decision you know is 100% incorrect would trump that. Their bosses are hardly gonna pull them up over it are they “lads, that thing you did that saved us all our blushes was a very bad thing to do”. 

It's such a major clusterfuck. The whole "can't do anything" despite there being a clear and obvious error (ironically, the guidelines of VAR in the first place). 

I know people are always going to be rEferEEs r sH1t but there needs to be widescale changes, it's actually becoming untenable for the PGMOL and Webb to continue.

For offsides, I really can't fathom why they simply can't let AI do the work, similar to goal line technology. The only decisions up for debate should be red cards.

• Upvote 1