talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

VAR in the Premier League

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

If officials are still making incorrect calls after 2nd, or even at times unlimited viewings, they need to be questioned. If VAR is going to exploit the poor standard of officiating in England, it will completely defeat its purpose if these officials will continue to be protected by the FA instead of improved on. 

You always mention the poor standard of officiating in England. With var I would agree but pre var English officials were highly regarded. 

After watching the Rugby World Cup VAR is just a pathetic attempt at copying the TMO. Just copy it completely and mic the ref, that way we can all comprehend the decision and the on field ref can refer incidents he’s unsure of with the opportunity to rewatch it. 

if players start swearing just fine them they will soon stop. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

The way people talk up VAR as if it’s some computer programme rather than it being operated by a human being is comical. “VAR is a joke” and hilarious shouts like that make my weekend. 

If the officials running VAR for a particular game are underperforming, much like a referee, drop them but educate them while they’re absent from officiating a game via VAR, this is a new tool that’s been in place less than three months. 

3 months xD

They will have been setting this shit up for years before it was actually implemented. They didn't just start making things up 3 months ago. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I don't like VAR as a concept for the reasons I've stated many times before.

However the problem isn't with VAR now it's with the horribly incompetent officials that use it. No surprise as the standard of refereeing is at its lowest point I can remember that they also cannot make decisions accurately even with technology.

Really you need an independent panel of qualified rule experts to take over the officiating of VAR

Edited by Storts
  • Upvote 4

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Storts said:

However the problem isn't with VAR now it's with the horribly incompetent officials that use it. No surprise as the standard of refereeing is at its lowest point I can remember that they also cannot make decisions accurately even with technology.

Really you need an independent panel of qualified rule experts to take over the officiating of VAR

Agree with both parts. 

14 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

3 months xD

They will have been setting this shit up for years before it was actually implemented. They didn't just start making things up 3 months ago. 

There’s literally nothing in my post that’s incorrect. It’s been in place and live three months in the Premier League and nowhere did I suggest they made things up as recently as three months ago. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Storts said:

I don't VAR as a concept for the reasons I've stated many times before.

This.

The humans behind it are the problem, the technology isn’t a problem. Even down to the “no goal” thing at Spurs the other week, it just reeks of people who are struggling massively with the technology. 

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

There’s literally nothing in my post that’s incorrect. It’s been in place and live three months in the Premier League and nowhere did I suggest they made things up as recently as three months ago. 

My point was they have had years to research VAR, find out the best way to use it and come up with a way that suits the match going fans and the tv viewers. Ok it's only been live 3 months but come on... they have fucked up big style. It's an absolute farce. 

Was things this bad before VAR? I dont think it was and much preffered football before it.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Was things this bad before VAR? I dont think it was and much preffered football before it.

Given there'd be a lot of controversies and talking points about decisions going either way or referees/assistants missing stuff, sometimes blatant, I'd say it was getting bad. Referees needed the help. Simple as that.

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

My point was they have had years to research VAR, find out the best way to use it and come up with a way that suits the match going fans and the tv viewers. Ok it's only been live 3 months but come on... they have fucked up big style. It's an absolute farce. 

Research is all well and good but until it’s actually live, you can’t really judge something. 

Were things this bad before? Yeah, but people just lost it that referee’s missed incidents, now they get to lose it that a faceless bloke in a portacabin somewhere has or hasn’t given a penalty. 

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Given there'd be a lot of controversies and talking points about decisions going either way or referees/assistants missing stuff, sometimes blatant, I'd say it was getting bad. Referees needed the help. Simple as that.

Well the help they are getting isnt really helping is it? xD its blatant now!

Things really wasnt that bad. There certainly wasnt half the outrage before VAR.

Edited by LFCMadLad

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Research is all well and good but until it’s actually live, you can’t really judge something. 

Were things this bad before? Yeah, but people just lost it that referee’s missed incidents, now they get to lose it that a faceless bloke in a portacabin somewhere has or hasn’t given a penalty. 

It's never going to get any better mate because as you said, its humans behind the screens who are just as bad as the ref on the field. Not only that, we then have idiots who have researched all this for years and made a total mockery off it. 

Millions of people for centuries have loved football how it was, despite the odd mistake by a referee. All I'm saying is keep the technology to goal line and offsides and things would be much better than they are now.

They just need to take away the “clear and obvious error” per of the equation. We’ve got officials looking at replays and deciding not to make the truly right call, and for what reason? Because it was convincing enough to fool the on field ref?...that makes no sense and we are seeing these types of calls every single week. That’s what frustrates me the most, the fact that the VAR doesn’t feel they have the sufficient power to overrule the ref. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Well the help they are getting isnt really helping is it? xD

Things really wasnt that bad. There certainly wasnt half the outrage before VAR.

I'd say it's quite subjective if things were bad or weren't bad and that's another thing we can argue for days and days.

There's gonna be times where there was a lot of outrage at some decisions and perhaps some weekends that were relatively incident-free. 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

I'd say it's quite subjective if things were bad or weren't bad and that's another thing we can argue for days and days.

There's gonna be times where there was a lot of outrage at some decisions and perhaps some weekends that were relatively incident-free. 

I know mate but now VAR is the talking point all over the country, from every corner. Its ruining it.

As I said, goal line technology and VAR for offsides is fine and would improve the game and cause much less controversy. Get rid of the rest. Dont you agree?

• Subscriber

As a technology its perfectly fine. Its really not going to get any better in any shape or form with the only argument there being that the system could automatically make decisions easier by actually drawing lines and calling the offside like Goal-line tech does today. But that's not even an issue.

What is the bigger issue isn't even the incompetent refereeing but the fact that every FA wants to implement their own style of VAR and not agree on some common rules that everyone follows. This is the part I totally don't get and I also don't understand why UEFA/FIFA don't just say these are the processes and procedures you have to follow, end of. We've got referees with inflated egos who don't want to look like idiots when they've got the call wrong and refuse to use the monitor. We've got refs in the block looking at things on rewind and still making calls that the on-field referee is then over-ruling based on what? We'll never know. Make it more transparent and force some standardization. The whole sport will be better for it. 

If they were to introduce an independent panel, great idea btw, and not give that independent panel the power to over-rule the ref then we'll have refs who listen and still make poor calls which isn't the goal at the end of the day. I am surprised the FA doesn't go back and review VAR decisions to tell the public we made the call because of XYZ and have the ref of the day explain it too. With the amount of controversy its generating I think that would go a long way to making people understand why things are the way they are. 

1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

As a technology its perfectly fine. Its really not going to get any better in any shape or form with the only argument there being that the system could automatically make decisions easier by actually drawing lines and calling the offside like Goal-line tech does today. But that's not even an issue.

What is the bigger issue isn't even the incompetent refereeing but the fact that every FA wants to implement their own style of VAR and not agree on some common rules that everyone follows. This is the part I totally don't get and I also don't understand why UEFA/FIFA don't just say these are the processes and procedures you have to follow, end of. We've got referees with inflated egos who don't want to look like idiots when they've got the call wrong and refuse to use the monitor. We've got refs in the block looking at things on rewind and still making calls that the on-field referee is then over-ruling based on what? We'll never know. Make it more transparent and force some standardization. The whole sport will be better for it. 

If they were to introduce an independent panel, great idea btw, and not give that independent panel the power to over-rule the ref then we'll have refs who listen and still make poor calls which isn't the goal at the end of the day. I am surprised the FA doesn't go back and review VAR decisions to tell the public we made the call because of XYZ and have the ref of the day explain it too. With the amount of controversy its generating I think that would go a long way to making people understand why things are the way they are. 

It's never going to happen though mate so things will never get better. That's my whole point. 

People on here and everywhere have their opinions on how it should work, but the fact is, it's not our decision how it works. 

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

Yeah but now it’s very obvious when a ref fucks up and controversy is probably higher when VAR doesn’t fix the error.

And what I saw with that James dive yesterday was totally fucking ridiculous. The referee correctly said no penalty, VAR stepped in and said “nah its a penalty.” After reviewing the fucking video!

That should NEVER happen, it’s an absolute joke.

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

It's never going to happen though mate so things will never get better. That's my whole point. 

People on here and everywhere have their opinions on how it should work, but the fact is, it's not our decision how it works. 

And i think that's also normal to discuss these things because its generating so much controversy as they just never anticipated all the kinds of situations it was going to be used in. I agree that we will never have the decision on how it works but that doesn't mean that the FA can't let the fans (match-going or otherwise) in on why the decision was made? 

I think the worst thing about VAR is now fans don’t have to deal with one idiot referee that doesn’t know what the fuck is going on. They’ve got to deal with 2 idiots now - and the one of the idiots gets to defy reasonable expectations of competence by getting to watch a replay to make the wrong decision

• Upvote 1

• The title was changed to VAR in the Premier League