talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal 2-2 Tottenham - Sunday 1st September, 2019

football forum

1 minute ago, shut up said:

Mate, look at how many chances and shots we had. And the possession. That usually correlates with who was the better/worse side 

I've already said that Arsenal were the better team in my opinion? I just dont agree that you absolutely dominated them from minute 1 as you stated.

Not sure what else I can say?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I think Arsenal games on tv throw people off or some sort of galaxy void sucks up energy via magnetic fields and shows something different.

At the ground this is what happened without the obvious opinion of pundits and commentators...

In the first half Arsenal's midfield looked amatuer and when the team (Arsenal) sensed that they were never going to be superior in that area, we started to try to bypass the zone by playing long diagonal balls to the front players (Pépé, Lacazette and Aubameyang) which wasn't working and very easy to defend. The only real moments after the first 5 minutes we (Arsenal) produced where danger is concerend is when we managed to induce fouls from Spurs' over passionate midfield which needn't have been that way from them... Trust me, Tottenham were also crap but we were worse than that in the first period. We were direct because our midfield was mediocre and not fit for the division they play in let alone contenders for Champions League slots.

Then that first half goal before the end of the period which came from Tottenham wanting to preserve what they had gave us something to believe in because trust me, the sentiments in the stands were that of doom and a sad reality. In the second half we came out with passion and Tottenham's reality of being off key in this start to the new season hit home and we pressurised them with ease and finally equalised deservedly because like I'm saying, Spurs aren't a good team right now and no matter how iffy we are also, we're currently a slightly better side than them.

Then Ceballos came on for Torreira (wish it had've been Xhaka) and it was all a lot more balanced with the possibility to keep possession in key areas of midfield. Tottenham still had their moments in that second half but overall they were a far second best during those 45+ minutes. We missed too many chances due to our mediocrity and we also coupled that with the odd shit error which let Spurs believe they could even still nick it. But in general we were better and should've won it considering it was a North London Derby and locality means very little.

Let me add something on Pépé... He is very good in the build-up and takes up very good positions, watching him with a great view from the stands lets you appreciate this particular detail but his final ball uptill now is utter shite, his shooting and his delivery is sub-standard but he does cause havoc, he makes defenders nervous and that also lets other Arsenal players capitalise. I'm hoping that this final ball issue is down to him still adapting and that it'll come good in the end. Henry himself started off in a similar fashion, I know, I was at the ground watching him. 

4 minutes ago, shut up said:

Roll on bellerin and Tierney being back fit. As well as Holding 

Bellerin is miles better than Maitlamd-Niles but even Héctor has to reflect on his months before the terrible injury he suffered because he was slacking.

But yeah, I agree... We need those players and hopefully they mold themselves into a unit which will go a long way to securing many vital victories to get in between those top four slots.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Sometimes I think Arsenal games on tv throw people off or some sort of galaxy void sucks up energy via magnetic fields and shows something different.

At the ground this is what happened without the obvious opinion of pundits and commentators...

In the first half Arsenal's midfield looked amatuer and when the team (Arsenal) sensed that they were never going to be superior in that area, we started to try to bypass the zone by playing long diagonal balls to the front players (Pépé, Lacazette and Aubameyang) which wasn't working and very easy to defend. The only real moments after the first 5 minutes we (Arsenal) produced where danger is concerend is when we managed to induce fouls from Spurs' over passionate midfield which needn't have been that way from them... Trust me, Tottenham were also crap but we were worse than that in the first period. We were direct because our midfield was mediocre and not fit for the division they play in let alone contenders for Champions League slots.

Then that first half goal before the end of the period which came from Tottenham wanting to preserve what they had gave us something to believe in because trust me, the sentiments in the stands were that of doom and a sad reality. In the second half we came out with passion and Tottenham's reality of being off key in this start to the new season hit home and we pressurised them with ease and finally equalised deservedly because like I'm saying, Spurs aren't a good team right now and no matter how iffy we are also, we're currently a slightly better side than them.

Then Ceballos came on for Torreira (wish it had've been Xhaka) and it was all a lot more balanced with the possibility to keep possession in key areas of midfield. Tottenham still had their moments in that second half but overall they were a far second best during those 45+ minutes. We missed too many chances due to our mediocrity and we also coupled that with the odd shit error which let Spurs believe they could even still nick it. But in general were were better and should've won it considering it was a North London Derby and locality means very little.

Let me add something on Pépé... He is very good in the build-up and takes up very good positions, watching him with a great view from the stands lets you appreciate this particular detail but his final ball uptill now is utter shite, his shooting and his delivery is sub-standard but he does cause havoc, he makes defenders nervous and that also lets other Arsenal players capitalise. I'm hoping that this final ball issue is down to him still adapting and that it'll come good in the end. Henry himself started off in a similar fashion, I know, I was at the ground watching him. 

Reasonable post, I don't agree with all of it but it's fairly balanced.

However the bolded part is a massive reach - how on earth do you come to that conclusion? We've finished above you three seasons in a row and just made a Champions League final. You're certainly not a better team than us right now. 

Exciting game for the neutral between two teams that cannot defend and whose strength is attack.

What did we learn? Both show exactly why they will be competing for nothing higher than 3rd place.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to watch. But it does emphasise how far away City and Liverpool are.

The lack of control and decision makings in big games like this sometimes is juvenile. 

And both sides will rue not killing the game when on top.

Early days but don't think I've seen enough evidence that Arsenal will be better than Spurs over a 38 game season personally. I expect more from Spurs when they settle down.

Have to say as well, I was watching that game today and in Arsenal's case, 14 years since Viera left, and they still haven't come close to replacing him.

That is shocking.

17 minutes ago, Storts said:

Reasonable post, I don't agree with all of it but it's fairly balanced.

However the bolded part is a massive reach - how on earth do you come to that conclusion? We've finished above you three seasons in a row and just made a Champions League final. You're certainly not a better team than us right now. 

Currently mate. There is something up at Spurs at the start of this season and you can even sense this in Pochettino's press conferences where he is unusually edgy answering questions.

You have a much more balanced squad of players and nobody can deny that. Your team is built on an idea and ours is a load of bits n' bobs collected over the years with many being panic buys. But right now, we're a better side than you after a mere few games. You should've capitalised today and let Arsenal's slightly better form coupled with the very little playing at home in a North London Derby gives you.

In the North Bank bar before the game looking at the team selections I said to my mate... We're gonna suffer in the first half in midfield. They're much more superior to us there and that's how it occurred. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, shut up said:

We finished 1 point behind you last season and have had a better transfer window. Not to mention you just finished above us with a defence of Maitland-Niles-Sokratis-Mustafi/Koscielny-Kolasinic 

That's pretty much our second choice defender. Think we have a great chance of finishing 3rd this season.

Think sirbalon is talking about just this season so far though 

You still finished behind us...for the third year... and play Europa League football. However you want to dress it up, you're a worse team than us and have been for some time. If you wasted £70 million on that clown Pepe then I'm not concerned 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, SirBalon said:

Currently mate. There is something up at Spurs at the start of this season and you can even sense this in Pochettino's press conferences where he is unusually edgy answering questions.

You have a much more balanced squad of players and nobody can deny that. Your team is built on an idea and ours is a load of bits n' bobs collected over the years with many being panic buys. But right now, we're a better side than you after a mere few games. You should've capitalised today and let Arsenal's slightly better form coupled with the very little playing at home in a North London Derby gives you.

In the North Stand bar before the game looking at the team selections I said to my mate... We're gonna suffer in the first half in midfield. They're much more superior to us there and that's how it occurred. 

Yeah - the European transfer window still being open. Season starts properly for us after the international break - if Eriksen does indeed stay we'll be absolutely fine.

I don't think you are tbh - you got smashed away at Liverpool, we got a point at City. We've drawn with each other today but we're away from home. We lost to Newcastle at home which was awful but a freak result. I just don't see any reason to call you a better team currently. 

We missed Ndombele in there too - would have been much better alongside Winks, who had a very good game I thought. 

3 minutes ago, Storts said:

Yeah - the European transfer window still being open. Season starts properly for us after the international break - if Eriksen does indeed stay we'll be absolutely fine.

I don't think you are tbh - you got smashed away at Liverpool, we got a point at City. We've drawn with each other today but we're away from home. We lost to Newcastle at home which was awful but a freak result. I just don't see any reason to call you a better team currently. 

We missed Ndombele in there too - would have been much better alongside Winks, who had a very good game I thought. 

Barcelona got smashed 4-0 at Anfield and we lost 3-1... I know me bringing that up on the face of it may seem absurd, but it isn't really. Those things mean little. Time will tell how this all pans out mate. ;) 

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, shut up said:

Yeah, by one point and with your back 5 in decline and our signings there really isnt much between the two squads. You have a better manager and a more settled team, but individual talents is pretty similar.  I think we can definitely get top 3 this season.

Your defenders were scared of pepe today. His end product needs working on, but he'll be a fine player soon enough.

Hahah all those years you would finish above us by similar margins... funny how the tables turn. As I said, say whatever you want, you finished below us again, we also made the final of the Champions League. You were in and still are in the tinpot trophy. Pretty simple we are the better side. 

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, shut up said:

This side havent won a trophy in the past decade and you have been beaten 14 times in your past 32 games? Youve been unbelievably poor in the league in 2019. Another trophy less season beckons im afraid. 

Screenshot_20190901-214651_Twitter.jpg

Correct and we still finished above you xD How embarrassing 

Looks like some people have fallen for the media narrative that Tottenham are miles in front of us. xD Some even put Tottenham in the same bracket as Liverpool and Man City. Last season in the league, Tottenham were in the same bracket as us, Chelsea and Man Utd. It's the same this season. Not much between the teams and we can definitely play a lot better. Tottenham have to worry about 3 of their key players wanting to leave the club on a free (although there's very little mention of that in the media, if it was us it'd be crazy).

Don't really care much between 3rd and 4th and think we should be disappointed if we don't get top 4. Would've gotten it comfortably last season if we didn't go on a disaster run against teams we should've beaten and even then we were just a point off but this season I think it's more expected than last season and it would be a failure not to make it.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Le Tissier was a midfielder. Maybe Newcastle when they were declining with Shearer. Tottenham also had Keane.

I remember him as a deep lying striker. But I was pretty young them. Always thought he should have been capped though tbh

5 hours ago, 6666 said:

Mourinho making an extremely obvious point but unfortunately Emery doesn't like number 10s and just likes to go around the outside.

Issue is Pepe, Aubameyang and Lacazette isn't a balanced front 3 and having someone like Ozil behind them leaves us short in the transition defensively. Shafting Aubameyang out wide doesn't work for me, his best position is at 9 and he is clearly our best striker. Aubameyang just doesn't have the on-ball ability to do anything in that position and Lacazette doesn't have the skills to be our creative force. It's still early days and I'm willing to give them time, but if it doesn't work Emery has to be brave. 

Not sure why Emery using the wings is so bad, Liverpool and City utilise the wings just as much and they're the best two teams in this league. 

37 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Issue is Pepe, Aubameyang and Lacazette isn't a balanced front 3 and having someone like Ozil behind them leaves us short in the transition defensively. Shafting Aubameyang out wide doesn't work for me, his best position is at 9 and he is clearly our best striker. Aubameyang just doesn't have the on-ball ability to do anything in that position and Lacazette doesn't have the skills to be our creative force. It's still early days and I'm willing to give them time, but if it doesn't work Emery has to be brave. 

Not sure why Emery using the wings is so bad, Liverpool and City utilise the wings just as much and they're the best two teams in this league. 

Our style and formation though is slightly different. We use FB,'s to provide our width which allows Mane & Salah to play as inverted strikers... basically speaking.

4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Our style and formation though is slightly different. We use FB,'s to provide our width which allows Mane & Salah to play as inverted strikers... basically speaking.

Exactly, I'm not criticising it's brilliant. Firmino becomes the link man and you have tireless workers in midfield to balance the system. Attacking the wings is vital, its where you'll find the most space and gets you into more dangerous areas. You and City utilise the wings superbly and it clearly works. 

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Exactly, I'm not criticising it's brilliant. Firmino becomes the link man and you have tireless workers in midfield to balance the system. Attacking the wings is vital, its where you'll find the most space and gets you into more dangerous areas. You and City utilise the wings superbly and it clearly works. 

Correct and when it's working well for us we do too. Our best team saw Walker and Rose flying down the wings. When we are at our worst is when we crowd the middle of the pitch and every player is inside the width of the box, it's how teams like Newcastle can beat you - you need to use the wings effectively.

Firmino is basically a number 10 and drops deep. Man City still have De Bruyne and David Silva. They have variety in their attack. To say that's what Emery is trying to emulate is just ignorant. They mix it up. We don't. There's nothing wrong with playing it out wide but you still need some creativity through the middle because there is something wrong with being predictable.

No one's saying "never attack from out wide" so let's not pretend someone is. The choice isn't "always attack from out wide or never attack from out wide".

Aubameyang has no natural sense of link-up play and because his football brain is thinking first and foremost "get me into the best scoring position", his passes go wayward and are inaccurate. He can and should only play as a full-on 9 and nothing else.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived