talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Medical & Health issues

football forum

14 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I've had anxiety but not to the point of panic attacks. I was at a level where I was getting muscle spasms. 

Not sure how to handle panic attacks but I think the most important thing is to figure out what is triggering the anxiety. (work, family, etc)

Yeah, so I've been vaguely open about my wife, but her mental health has deteriorated over the past 4 years, and rather rapidly over the past 2 years which almost led to a divorce and other issues. Long story short, I decided that for better or worse I'm going to try to stand by her as we've been together for over a decade, and she deserves someone to stick with her through thick and thin. 

This weekend, we were at my best friend's house for his kid's first bday party, and all the people we know really well and his wife and mine actually get along really well.. but about 2 hours after it started, my wife just started to almost shake in the corner and crying. I checked on her, and she, through clenched teeth, said, "I have to get out of here'. 

So we did. 

On the drive home, she cried for over an hour and was shaking and saying that she was completely out of control. Once she calmed down, she was able to express that she got an anxiety which she wasn't able to control and led to her losing her nerve and control of her emotions. 

This is just another issue to go with the long list, so I've spent the last 48 hours trying to wrap my head around this and how to handle it while protecting our daughter and her from self harm. 

• Sad 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

Has anyone ever had some anxiety that led to a panic attack? If so, what did you do to cope with it and how did you settle down after such an attack?

I've been doing research and I'm finding a ton of varying information. 

(It's honestly not for me). 

I know the wife's niece has always suffered from panic attacks and I never knew what it was all about until something happened about 15 years ago that led to me having a panic attack so my doc told me.

I had just been made redundant from a job for the second time in my life and I was way down in the dumps, I got up early one morning to nip up the shop and when I made my way back to our top floor flat at the time the stair lighting suddenly switched off when I was trying to put the key in the front flat door.

Well, I panicked and I couldn't get my breathing under control and I was out of breath trying to open the front door so I started to bang at the door and calling for the wife when she came and let me in I just staggered to the lounge trying to breathe and she burst out crying thinking I was having a heart attack.

I managed to calm her down and calm myself down and I managed to call the night duty doc up who came around, she gave me some oxygen and then when I told her what had happened and being short of breath that's when she told me that I had experienced a panic attack and advised me to see my local doc as she thought I might have had an asthma attack too.

I visited our docs who said I had asthma and also COPD and the shortness of breath I had because of the asthma gave me a panic attack and now I am on pumps (asthma & COPD) for life, and even now if I get worked up about something I will get a shortness of breath and I make sure I take my pumps to calm down.

2 hours ago, Eco said:

Has anyone ever had some anxiety that led to a panic attack? If so, what did you do to cope with it and how did you settle down after such an attack?

I've been doing research and I'm finding a ton of varying information. 

(It's honestly not for me). 

I thought I was having a heart attack once and it turned out to be a panic attack. I’ve seen a girl have a panic attack too and she was convinced she was going to die.

I don’t really have any in depth advice but just keep reminding yourself that you’re not actually going to die and whatever it is you’re feeling will pass. And focus on your breathing.

Long term I would say speak to a professional mate, they can help a lot 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

I thought I was having a heart attack once and it turned out to be a panic attack. I’ve seen a girl have a panic attack too and she was convinced she was going to die.

I don’t really have any in depth advice but just keep reminding yourself that you’re not actually going to die and whatever it is you’re feeling will pass. And focus on your breathing.

Long term I would say speak to a professional mate, they can help a lot 

Cheers - but it's not for me, but the missus. 

She has finally agreed to see a real professional, so hopefully that will at least not make matters worse. Right?

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

Cheers - but it's not for me, but the missus. 

She has finally agreed to see a real professional, so hopefully that will at least not make matters worse. Right?

Hope she gets the help she needs mate.. You must feel pretty helpless when things like that happen I should imagine but as long as you support her through it where you can there is not a lot more you can do... 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Eco said:

Many times. Luckily the last time was 2-3 years ago. Started sweating, shaking profoundly and feeling dizzy to the point were I felt that I could pass out, in the queue of a super market or in a crowded tram or bus up the point that I had to get out at the next station. What helped? Well, short-term solution was telling myself that the current situation is going to be over soon, and that I'll be home safe and sound soon enough. Imagined what I'll be doing as soon as I'm back in my comfort-zone.

Long-term solution was getting healthier and more confident. I think everyone experiences panick attacks for different reasons. So a professional who can treat each case individually should be the best thing in the long run. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

That's my flu jab letter from the NHS just arrived and they had booked me into the same place they had booked the wife, 10 odd miles away and a 40-minute bus journey, no way I will be going there so I rung the clinic and cancelled the appointment and told them I was booked into the local pharmacy (and the wife) which was a 5-minute journey up the road.

On 28/07/2021 at 20:35, MUFC said:

In life, what's the worst illness/injury would you say you've had? 

I'm not the most active admittedly, but mine was probably when I blocked a shot in 5 a side football, sprained my ankle and as I fell, I landed and dislocated my elbow, fracturing part of my arm in the process as well. 

All I mainly remember is my mates saying that I was high as a kite when I had morphine to click it back into place. 

On 20/09/2021 at 18:09, CaaC (John) said:

The NHS can be a fucking joke sometimes, that's the wife just received a letter from the NHS about her flu jab coming up, they only booked her a place 10.6 miles away out of town for the jab that will take her around 40 minutes to get there plus it's at 08.15 in the morning.

Surely they could check out her age on the NHS database and note she is 73 years old with medical problems and live in Leith where there is other facilities around locally that will do the job, I spent all morning and afternoon trying to ring up and get it cancelled but all we got was " Sorry, lines are busy..."

I managed to ring up our local chemist shop who will cater for us both at the end of the month, the pharmacy is a 15-minute walk away from where we live.

That's the NHS at times. Communication is generally a shit show at the best of times. 

My nan had a letter on Friday to have a consultation for surgery at a specific hospital. They obviously haven't noted that not only is she in hospital, but at the actual hospital the letter specified.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I'm not the most active admittedly, but mine was probably when I blocked a shot in 5 a side football, sprained my ankle and as I fell, I landed and dislocated my elbow, fracturing part of my arm in the process as well. 

All I mainly remember is my mates saying that I was high as a kite when I had morphine to click it back into place. 

That's the NHS at times. Communication is generally a shit show at the best of times. 

My nan had a letter on Friday to have a consultation for surgery at a specific hospital. They obviously haven't noted that not only is she in hospital, but at the actual hospital the letter specified.

Ouch 😯

• Subscriber

That's me and the wife's flu jabs done and dusted, a 15-minute walk to the local pharmacy was better than a 10.5 mile, forty minute bus journey across town to a place that the NHS wanted us to go to.

Edited by CaaC (John)
  • Upvote 1

Was sick like a dog on Monday. All symptoms of a stomach bug. Slept all day except for an hour or two. Felt relatively fine yesterday, and today I feel like shit again. Tired, runny nose, bit of a sore throat. 

Was out on Saturday, where lots of people were. Probably caught some shit there. Fucking people man. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Was sick like a dog on Monday. All symptoms of a stomach bug. Slept all day except for an hour or two. Felt relatively fine yesterday, and today I feel like shit again. Tired, runny nose, bit of a sore throat. 

Was out on Saturday, where lots of people were. Probably caught some shit there. Fucking people man. 

Covid? :ph34r:

• Subscriber

In the Doc's reception, the wife due for her yearly checkup so l thought I would come along, we are the only 2 in here, have to wear our masks and sit apart, it's weird really as once upon a time before the covid hit the reception bit would be packed out, can't even read a magazine as there are none around.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

You have to sit apart even though you're part of the same household??

Aye, all of the seats have signs on them with do not sit here, but the odd ones in between you can sit on, weird, but there you go, i took a photo and I will post it later on my laptop.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Stan said:

You have to sit apart even though you're part of the same household??

2 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Aye, all of the seats have signs on them with do not sit here, but the odd ones in between you can sit on, weird, but there you go, i took a photo and I will post it later on my laptop.

As I said, they do it a bit different in our surgery, you have to line up out of the main door and press a button for the receptionist who will check who you are and make sure you are wearing a mask, they will let people in if they can't stand for long periods like me with my sciatica so I sat inside while the wife went in and had her check-up, and when you leave you leave by the fire door and not the main entrance. 

download.png thumbnail_20211020_103549.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Had a splitting headache on Tuesday after work. Never felt a pain like it so spoke to someone who suffers from migraines and it sounded exactly the same. Can't be 100% sure it was a migraine, but this was more than just a headache. Vision affected ever so slightly, painkillers didn't work too much. Just felt restless and tired and fatigued. The pain is as if someone is cracking your skull open but at the same time, your brain is about to shoot through any gap that appears. Not pleasant in the slightest. 

I've put it down to just being in front of a screen for 2 days at work and not taking enough breaks (not totally in my control). Other general stresses around but mainly work and the new role I'm in. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Had a splitting headache on Tuesday after work. Never felt a pain like it so spoke to someone who suffers from migraines and it sounded exactly the same. Can't be 100% sure it was a migraine, but this was more than just a headache. Vision affected ever so slightly, painkillers didn't work too much. Just felt restless and tired and fatigued. The pain is as if someone is cracking your skull open but at the same time, your brain is about to shoot through any gap that appears. Not pleasant in the slightest. 

I've put it down to just being in front of a screen for 2 days at work and not taking enough breaks (not totally in my control). Other general stresses around but mainly work and the new role I'm in. 

Try getting a screen protector at least. 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

I take it you are working in a different office.

Feeling tired and fatigued is explainable the other sensations might suggest something else,

I only say this as I discovered in my 30's I had a bad childhood head injury after going alternative. I might have dismissed it yet had experienced a lot strange symptoms all through my life.

In my Dad's doctors surgery has a warning to parents if their child has a head injury to urgently contact their GP..

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Try getting a screen protector at least. 

Already do. That protects from glare as opposed to anything else.

11 minutes ago, Waylander said:

I take it you are working in a different office.

Feeling tired and fatigued is explainable the other sensations might suggest something else,

I only say this as I discovered in my 30's I had a bad childhood head injury after going alternative. I might have dismissed it yet had experienced a lot strange symptoms all through my life.

In my Dad's doctors surgery has a warning to parents if their child has a head injury to urgently contact their GP..

I'm working from home and have done for the past 5/6 years. 

Thanks - as far as I'm aware (and other people on here may differ) I wasn't dropped as a child or sustained a bad childhood head injury. I don't know what 'going alternative' means. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

Sounds like a migraine to me... I had a bad migraine with aura (sensory/visual disturbances) twice in my life, and they can be a bit scary. What helped me was laying down in a completely dark room and drinking loads of water. Wouldn't worry too much if it goes away on its own and doesn't happen too often/regularly, otherwise you might want to get it checked to make sure it's nothing more serious.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Sounds like a migraine to me... I had a bad migraine with aura (sensory/visual disturbances) twice in my life, and they can be a bit scary. What helped me was laying down in a completely dark room and drinking loads of water. Wouldn't worry too much if it goes away on its own and doesn't happen too often/regularly, otherwise you might want to get it checked to make sure it's nothing more serious.

Thanks. That pretty much helped when it happened. Went to bed early, lay down in the dark and both nights since it happened the sleep has been fine. 

It was a bit worrying - especially the amount of pain that was felt.