talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Danny Drinkwater to Villa?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, True Blue said:

Bit harsh, he was poor for us but absolutely worst?

Every club has some flops, but usually those flops seem to actually want to perform for the club. Drinkwater came, got paid, put in a few shit performances, got dropped, then ends up in the press for doing shit like falling over drunk at nightclubs or getting arrested for drink driving (obligatory "lol Danny Drinkvodka").

None of us really know what he's like as a person... but that's really all we've got to go with in his case. I'd thought maybe he was trying to get his career back on track by going out on loan to Burnley. But I can't actually remember him actually playing for Burnley and I've looked on his wiki and he's just got 1 league start since joining them.

The only Chelsea signing I can think of that's worse than Drinkwater is Winston Borgarde, and that's just before the Roman era.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Means no Giroud or Batshuayi for us though as only loan 1 player 

What rule is that? Only 1 loan player from the same club or only 1 loan player from team in same division?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

What rule is that? Only 1 loan player from the same club or only 1 loan player from team in same division?

I think you're only allowed to loan one player from another Premier League club. Possible two, do they already have someone who's only on loan?

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I think you're only allowed to loan one player from another Premier League club. Possible two, do they already have someone who's only on loan?

Not that I'm aware of.

Just checked on PL site and it is only 1 loan from one club to the same club.

They are:
- Premier League clubs may not register more than two players on loan at any one time.
- The maximum number of loans registrable in the same season is four, and, under no circumstances, shall more than one be from the same club at any one time.
- Premier League clubs cannot loan to another Premier League club a player they have acquired in the same transfer window.
- A Premier League club may loan not more than one of its goalkeepers to another Premier League club.

• 2 weeks later...

Elite sports is a brutal environment, even among those who do no more than watch it. Drinkwater’s display made him something of a figure of fun: the fact he had been exposed so surgically by Kevin De Bruyne; and the fact his last three games in the Premier League have all been defeats to Manchester City, in the shirts of three different clubs.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

His decline is genuinely quite hard to get your head around. There are failed transfers and then there's this.

I think he needs some time out the game but the problem is at his age that likely finishes him at this level.

There is only one Premier League club I could see him ever rebuilding things and that's Watford - Pearson always said he was a complex character and he dealt with him years. Anyone who played under Pearson regularly loved the bloke.

But even then I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath. I think he left Manchester United for us with the bit between his teeth and had totally lost it by the time we sold him.

It's quite a sad case in a way. It's gone beyond a failed transfer now. Just a mess.

• 6 months later...

Archived