talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Cicero said:

Obviously the ideal replacement would be Poch. Only other manager of the same elk would be Jardim. But that makes far too much sense for United. 

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Why Poch? He's never won anything :ph34r:

Yep, people and especially the media keep saying Poch but he has won fuck all at Spurs and they do have some good players, I think I would forget about Zidane, as @Cannabis 'The Predator said': "Hope Zidane gets it as he would be eaten up alive in the Premier League..."

I would get rid of mad Jose and just let Carrick continue on as manager and see how he gets on, he played under SAF and the great players like Keane, Beckham, Rio, Vidić etc so he knows how SAF run things with them around.

Edited by CaaC - John

19 hours ago, CaaC - John said:

Yep, people and especially the media keep saying Poch but he has won fuck all at Spurs and they do have some good players, I think I would forget about Zidane, as @Cannabis 'The Predator said': "Hope Zidane gets it as he would be eaten up alive in the Premier League..."

I would get rid of mad Jose and just let Carrick continue on as manager and see how he gets on, he played under SAF and the great players like Keane, Beckham, Rio, Vidić etc so he knows how SAF run things with them around.

I don’t think you can blame Poch too much for not winning anything. When he joined them they weren’t expected to contend or even be regulars with CL qualification. I think he’s done well at Spurs, he’s taken them up a level and changed expectations for the club while playing attractive football with a smaller budget than most, if not all, of the clubs around them.

I think he’d be a quality appointment at United, so I hope he stays at Spurs.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think you can blame Poch too much for not winning anything. When he joined them they weren’t expected to contend or even be regulars with CL qualification. I think he’s done well at Spurs, he’s taken them up a level and changed expectations for the club while playing attractive football with a smaller budget than most, if not all, of the clubs around them.

I think he’d be a quality appointment at United, so I hope he stays at Spurs.

You never know, they might go for Brendan Rogers of Celtic? :D

Still not keen on Poch taking over but I would prefer him over Giggs which is hitting the media circuit.

5 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

You never know, they might go for Brendan Rogers of Celtic? :D

Still not keen on Poch taking over but I would prefer him over Giggs which is hitting the media circuit.

I don’t think Rodgers is a good manager at all, unless he’s got Luis Suarez there to paper over the cracks, so I’d be pretty pleased if you signed him. Your defense would probably get even worse xD

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t think Rodgers is a good manager at all, unless he’s got Luis Suarez there to paper over the cracks, so I’d be pretty pleased if you signed him. Your defense would probably get even worse xD

Lol, I was only joking, any manager in the EPL could go to the likes of Celtic and be a good manager and win trophies but they would struggle in the EPL manager wise Scottish football died a slow death some 10/12 years ago, it's not the same as it was, only SAF was a success at Aberdeen winning trophies, came down here and did the same with United.  :D    

Edited by CaaC - John

13 minutes ago, CaaC - John said:

Lol, I was only joking, any manager in the EPL could go to the likes of Celtic and be a good manager and win trophies but they would struggle in the EPL manager wise Scottish football died a slow death some 10/12 years ago, it's not the same as it was, only SAF was a success at Aberdeen winning trophies, came down here and did the same with United.  :D    

Yeah its sad what’s happened to Scottish football, it used to be a much stronger place for football.

• Subscriber

Jose Mourinho: Man Utd forward Alexis Sanchez denies making bet on sacking

9 minutes ago | Man Utd

Manchester United forward Alexis Sanchez has denied a report he made a bet with team-mate Marcos Rojo about the sacking of Jose Mourinho.

After Mourinho was sacked as United boss on Tuesday, it was reported Chile international Sanchez told Argentina defender Rojo he owed him £20,000.

But Sanchez, who joined the Red Devils from Premier League rivals Arsenal in January, said the story was "false".

"Jose gave me the chance to play for the best team in the world," he wrote.

"I only have gratitude for him. We are a truly United team."

Sanchez, 30, signed a four-and-a-half-year deal worth £14m

Sanchez, 30, signed a four-and-a-half-year deal worth £14m when he moved to Old Trafford at the start of the year.

He has since scored four times in 30 appearances and has not played since November because of a hamstring problem.

"I can't wait to help the team," he added.

Former United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will take charge of the team for Saturday's Premier League match against Cardiff.

_104915014_sancheztweet.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46653482

• Subscriber

AAapfVx.img?h=40&w=138&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&

Manchester United Thrives Off the Field. That’s the Problem.

By RORY SMITH          10 hrs ago

MANCHESTER, England — Inside Old Trafford, 75,572 fans stood at attention. On the field, Manchester United’s players gathered in a huddle, fresh from victory against Swansea City, arms draped around each other’s shoulders.

In the center circle, Alex Ferguson shuffled from foot to foot. He was about to say goodbye to the club he had managed for 27 years. This had been his final home game, his final league title, his final triumph. He had “no script” for the speech he was about to give.

As Ferguson planned what he was going to say, Alan Keegan, United’s longstanding stadium announcer, had the microphone. He called Old Trafford to order. He listed Ferguson’s achievements, though everyone in attendance knew them by rote. He described the club the Scot had built: “rulers of English football, the most revered club in the land.”

“We have history at our mercy, and our destiny is firmly in our own hands,” Keegan said.

Finally, the rain pouring down, soaking him through, Ferguson spoke. He thanked the fans, the club, the staff. He informed the crowd that their “job is now to stand by your new manager.” He offered a final instruction to the players, too. “Don’t ever let yourselves down,” he said. “The expectation is always there.”

That was May 2013. Old Trafford was that sort of place then, the center of English soccer’s greatest empire. Ferguson’s power was absolute. A few days previously, he had summoned David Moyes, his handpicked replacement, to his home. He had not asked him if he wanted the job. He just told him he had it. His wish was his command. He spoke, and the fans and the players listened. It felt like the sun would never set.

Not yet six years on, English soccer’s landscape has undergone an almost unimaginable shift. When Manchester United meets Cardiff City on Saturday, those fans’ job is to get behind their fifth manager since Ferguson’s departure; Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, a much-loved former player, has been appointed as caretaker after the sacking of Jose Mourinho. He is on loan from his Norwegian club, Molde FK until the season’s end. His last managerial job in the Premier League was with, coincidentally, Cardiff...

Manchester United is no longer a team that can regard itself as the ruler of English soccer. It has not won the Premier League since Ferguson’s departure. It has reached just one Champions League quarterfinal. In two of the last five years, it has not even taken part in Europe’s elite competition. It is, most certainly, not the most revered team in the land.

Ever since the rain-soaked day that Ferguson left, this is a club that has let itself down.

To many, the cause of that failure is in the one field where United still leads the world: For all the disappointments of the last five years, it remains a corporate and commercial juggernaut. In September, it registered record revenues of 590 million pounds ($748 million), despite another disappointing display in the Champions League.

It is a social media behemoth, too. As Richard Arnold, its managing director, said on a conference call, Manchester United has more Facebook followers than the N.B.A., the N.F.L., the N.H.L. and Major League Baseball combined.

It does not need to be successful to make money or to be popular. Manchester United has, the theory runs, focused so much of its attention on its off-field business that its on-field performance has been left to drift.

There is some merit to that assessment; certainly, it raises an interesting question as to whether the game’s elite clubs any longer need to win games and trophies to turn a profit, and if they do not, at what point those in charge of running profitable enterprises are likely to notice that something is wrong.

Yet those with an intimate knowledge of how the club is run suggest that the problem is, in fact, the polar opposite. United is not suffering because too few people are employed to think about how to improve the team, but because there are too many.

When Ferguson left, Ed Woodward, United’s executive vice chairman — the man who runs the business on behalf of the owners, the Glazer family — insisted repeatedly that he did not see the need to appoint a technical director, someone to oversee the sporting operation while he focused on the commercial side.

Despite being employed by every major club on the planet, that model, he felt, did not work for United. Together with the manager and the recruitment department, Woodward was adamant that he had the global network to bring in the superstars he felt United, as a brand, required. On one occasion, he gleefully held up his cell phone to a group of journalists to show that Jorge Mendes, soccer’s most powerful agent, was calling him.

Under Woodward’s auspices, though, United’s recruitment operation has been a mess. Though it has wasted millions on poor signings, just as damning is the money it has not spent: spending months preparing deals for the likes of Toni Kroos, Cesc Fàbregas, and Cristiano Ronaldo, only to find them signing for rivals or being given more lucrative contracts at their current clubs. Last January, United called to ask how much it would cost to sign Virgil van Dijk from Southampton as he was having a medical evaluation at Liverpool. The paperwork had already been signed.

Until July, the club had three employees nominally running the recruitment department: Marcel Bout, the head of international recruitment; Javier Ribalta, the head of recruitment; and Jim Lawlor, the chief scout appointed under Ferguson. (Ribalta has since left to take a position at the Russian club Zenit St. Petersburg.)

The three oversaw an army of 55 full-time scouts around the world: one watching senior players and one for junior players in every major market on the planet. Manchester City, the Premier League champion and, to most eyes, the gold standard of player recruitment, has just 35.

The result has been a surfeit of information and a dearth of responsibility, as competing factions jostle for supremacy. Agents, like Mendes and Paul Pogba’s representative, Mino Raiola, have drifted in and out of favor (all four players that United signed in 2016 came from Raiola’s client list). Where City and Liverpool, in particular, can move swiftly and nimbly in the market, United is slow, lumbering.

That applies to other fields, too. The academy is overseen by John Murtagh, Nick Cox, and Nicky Butt. They serve as head of youth development, academy operations manager and head of the academy.

As with recruitment, it is hard to discern a clear plan, a grand vision; just a club made heavy by its bloated staffing levels, stuck between legacy appointments and new hires. In some cases, executives have two personal assistants, one longstanding, the other brought in to replace someone who has not left.

That lack of decisiveness, of direction, is evident elsewhere. United was forced to pay Marouane Fellaini, the midfielder, “double” what he had initially asked for — according to Eladio Paremes, a former spokesman for Mendes — because it delayed for so long over offering him new terms. Other players, unable to agree to a deal, have had automatic one-year extensions triggered in order to buy the club time.

Though the youth structure has improved considerably in recent years, United still does not pay expenses for those enrolled in its development programs; most of its rivals do. Unlike City, it does not place its scholars in one of Manchester’s most illustrious private schools. In July, its respected head of youth scouting, Derek Langley, left because of his belief that the club’s leadership was not listening to his concerns.

The result is a club lacking in direction and vision, unaware of what it wants to be. Woodward has, at least, climbed down on the need to appoint a technical director. Part of the reason Solskjaer has been brought in short-term as manager is to allow the club time to identify the right candidate for the senior position.

When Ferguson left, Manchester United’s destiny was in its own hands. It has squandered that privilege. Now, it is in a race simply to keep up, to make sure it is not consigned to history.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier-league/manchester-united-thrives-off-the-field-that’s-the-problem/ar-BBRhPdU?ocid=chromentp

• Subscriber

Peter Schmeichel: Ex-Man Utd keeper considering applying for the director role

2 minutes ago | Man Utd

_104926225_gettyimages-1286545.jpg

Manchester United great Peter Schmeichel says the club should appoint a director of football and believes he would make a good candidate.

United sacked Jose Mourinho as manager on Tuesday and have named ex-player Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as caretaker boss, with the side thrashing Cardiff 5-1 in his first game in charge on Saturday.

They do not have a director of football but are expected to recruit one.

"I'm actually thinking about putting my name in there," Schmeichel said.

Former Tottenham and Southampton head of recruitment Paul Mitchell, who is at German top-flight side RB Leipzig, has been linked with the position.

Speaking to BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek, former Denmark goalkeeper Schmeichel added: "It's a tough thing to find out about yourself, everyone looks at you; the scrutiny, and I'm not afraid of that. It's also a really big change in what I've done.

"I really want to get involved in football again at some point. I know I'm getting older, but my life has just turned out a different way after I retired from football."

The 55-year-old spent eight years at Manchester United as a player, winning five Premier League titles, three FA Cups and the Champions League.

He is widely regarded as one of United's greatest players and was named Footballer of the Year twice during his time at the club.

"What's really important is to get the Manchester United culture back and the identity back," said Schmeichel.

"I would like to see [the job go to] someone who has played there, and can bring some of that Sir Alex [Ferguson] mentality back in the whole of the football club.

"I'm considering: 'Do I have the qualities?' And if I come up to an answer to that question, then I will put my name in the hat.

"I'll have a good think about this over Christmas and New Year and make a decision about it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46662963

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Man United have reportedly held initial talks with Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino, who has told the club to sign one of the Premier League's brightest talents.

Mauricio Pochettino has reportedly told Manchester United to make a £70m signing in the summer during initial talks to become the new manager at Old Trafford.

Pochettino has been strongly linked with taking the permanent United job after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer completes his caretaker spell.

And according to CaughtOffside,  United have held initial talks with the Tottenham boss over taking over in the summer, and he has discussed transfer targets with Ed Woodward.

One of the names reportedly mentioned is Leicester City forward James Maddison, who would play the 'Christian Eriksen role' at Old Trafford.

22-year-old Maddison would be available for around £70m, and Pochettino is said to have 'assured' United that the England under-21 international is worth that money.

Meanwhile, Marouane Fellaini has been linked with a move away from United

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-utd-transfer-news-pochettino-15624193

• Haha 1

• Subscriber

No wonder local journalism is a dying breed. That's just complete fabrication from start to finish. We had the chance to sign Maddison ourselves but Poch didn't think he was good enough, quite rightly, why would he ask United to spend 70 million on him.

Think it's best for everyone now if Ole gets the job full time

Just now, José said:

That circus that Klopp couldnt beat last year 9_9 why? regardless of the rough times, any coach with a reasonable mind would jump at the chance to coach the three Giants (RM, Man Utd, and Barcelona)

That circus that Klopp couldn't beat last year :rofl:

Friggin'ell xD

• Subscriber

@LFCMadLad Liverpool were hardly any better yet still managed to get Klopp four years ago. I know you're taking the piss but the long term infrastructure, size and potential of a club matters much more to a manager who values the project than the current level of success and squad ability.

That said, I've detailed elsewhere why I don't think it's in Poch's interest to move to United. The risks outweigh the rewards as long as Tottenham haven't yet hit a clear glass ceiling.

However, if you were to ask a manager looking for their next career move and wasn't already attached to one club or the other, and gave them the choice between taking over Spurs or Manchester United at the end of this season, you'd expect them to go to Old Trafford.

• Thanks 1