talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Arsenal Discussion

football forum

Looking at the Arsenal redundancy from a complete neutral point of view, I don’t really get the whole outrage at Arsenal and I will say why. 

Arsenal had a shop outside Finsbury Park station. Apparently it’s been there years. Recently, they chose to close that store completely. Whether that was down to the pandemic (possible), that sales figures were down over a significantly longer or something like rent being increased if they didn’t own the building, I’m not sure but I would hazard a guess that some of the 55 are made up of these retail employees from that store. 

They’ll already have staff at their Emirates shop so you can’t just throw them in there at a time when revenue will be completely down due to a lack of home games and probably having to close their online store for a period, like a few clubs I saw and you probably can’t have too many people working in a shop at any given time these days either. What are Arsenal expected to do? Pay these people to not work in a shop that doesn’t exist anymore?

It’s not a great situation but it’s the environment we’re in and while it may be questionable morally, it’s the way businesses, some far bigger than Arsenal, operate. 

6 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Looking at the Arsenal redundancy from a complete neutral point of view, I don’t really get the whole outrage at Arsenal and I will say why. 

Arsenal had a shop outside Finsbury Park station. Apparently it’s been there years. Recently, they chose to close that store completely. Whether that was down to the pandemic (possible), that sales figures were down over a significantly longer or something like rent being increased if they didn’t own the building, I’m not sure but I would hazard a guess that some of the 55 are made up of these retail employees from that store. 

They’ll already have staff at their Emirates shop so you can’t just throw them in there at a time when revenue will be completely down due to a lack of home games and probably having to close their online store for a period, like a few clubs I saw and you probably can’t have too many people working in a shop at any given time these days either. What are Arsenal expected to do? Pay these people to not work in a shop that doesn’t exist anymore?

It’s not a great situation but it’s the environment we’re in and while it may be questionable morally, it’s the way businesses, some far bigger than Arsenal, operate. 

At times of crisis like these, then yes, people who can amply afford to pay staff should do. If they don't they are then passing on the buck to me and you. This is the whole rotten core of our economic model, it works if those with big money will take some of the strain at times of greatest need, but they won't. They'll pass it on to me and you, further indebting the country.

I'd hope to see some sort of outrage from Arsenal supporters and their unions like what Liverpool and Spurs did, they managed to change their club's minds.

Edited by The Artful Dodger
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

At times of crisis like these, then yes, people who can amply afford to pay staff should do. If they don't they are then passing on the buck to me and you. This is the whole rotten core of our economic model, it works if those with big money will take some of the strain at times of greatest need, but they won't. They'll pass it on to me and you, further indebting the country.

I'd hope to see some sort of outrage from Arsenal supporters and their unions like what Liverpool and Spurs did, they managed to change their club's minds.

I’m sure Arsenal could pay these staff if they really wanted to but it makes no business sense paying retail employees to not work in a shop that doesn’t exist anymore. 

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

Basically the £2m in savings to the wage bill will go straight to the agent of 32 year old Willian.

Instead of £2m in wages to a load of staff who aren’t deemed needed any more and £2m to Willian’s agent. 

4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Are the scouting changes part of those 55 redundancies? Or were they different and actually 'sacked'?

Pretty sure some Arsenal fans will correct me, but I think it is down to a change in policy. 

Instead of a scouting network, they are going the 'super agent' route. Kia Joorabchian being at the helm of it for Arsenal. Very, very bad idea imo. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Pretty sure some Arsenal fans will correct me, but I think it is down to a change in policy. 

Instead of a scouting network, they are going the 'super agent' route. Kia Joorabchian being at the helm of it for Arsenal. Very, very bad idea imo. 

Oh I see. It was bad enough before, about to get worse if he's there. Absolute cancer in football. 

13 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

You're owned by a billionaire, Arsenal using poverty as some sort of excuse is horrific.

Using poverty as an excuse is ridiculous but billionaire or not, you're not obligated to keep people employed just for the sake of keeping them employed. Why they saw no use for the people that have been sacked, I have no idea but for some reason the club decided they weren't that important. It does sound harsh but this is how employment works.

On 07/08/2020 at 14:58, Cicero said:

Not necessarily true, it has come out our scouting department was massively overstaffed and needed a lot of trimming even before the pandemic. Of course people will point to Kia, but our scouting has been failing for years. The recruitment in general has been abysmal, apart from a select few. Also with how data driven football is now, there just isn't a need for so many scouts. 

I see he can't help himself. No matter what you think of the situation I just will never understand his stance on wanting to stay? People will point to money and his wages, but I'm 100% certain Arsenal would be willing to make up his wages for the last year at another club. I can only assume he plans on retiring after this season and he doesn't want to move. Obviously its down to him and we gave him the deal so you can't really blame him, but surely he'd want to go somewhere else where he'd actually play? 

I used to love Ozil as a player and was always a big defender of his, but I honestly can't wait for him to go now. It will be such a progressive day for the club. 

2 hours ago, Chaaay AFC said:

I see he can't help himself. No matter what you think of the situation I just will never understand his stance on wanting to stay? People will point to money and his wages, but I'm 100% certain Arsenal would be willing to make up his wages for the last year at another club. I can only assume he plans on retiring after this season and he doesn't want to move. Obviously its down to him and we gave him the deal so you can't really blame him, but surely he'd want to go somewhere else where he'd actually play? 

I used to love Ozil as a player and was always a big defender of his, but I honestly can't wait for him to go now. It will be such a progressive day for the club. 

He’s a massive cunt tbh for basically giving up any effort he had towards being an elite football player once he got his massive payday.

1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Wow very surprised by this, not entirely sure Raul was the right man for us but I do believe he tried to at least make us act like a big club. I have no qualms with him, think he just suits a top end, big money club. 

I am not surprised one bit, the transfers he put together were shocking, also with the loan deals, paying huge fees with no clause to buy. 

Edited by SirBalon 69

1 minute ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Wow very surprised by this, not entirely sure Raul was the right man for us but I do believe he tried to at least make us act like a big club. I have no qualms with him, think he just suits a top end, big money club. 

Apparently Arteta hates Sanllehi and blames him for the current state of Arsenal. 

The manager and director of football need to be singing from the same hymn sheet. So if that’s true, it’s a good thing they’ve sacked Raul Sanllehi.

7 minutes ago, SirBalon 69 said:

I am not surprised one bit, the transfers he put together were shocking, also with the loan deals, paying huge fees with no clause to buy. 

Yeah just reading apparently it has a lot to do with the Pepe deal apparently be earned out of it. It probably is best he was moved on. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently Arteta hates Sanllehi and blames him for the current state of Arsenal. 

The manager and director of football need to be singing from the same hymn sheet. So if that’s true, it’s a good thing they’ve sacked Raul Sanllehi.

Yeah to be honest I do think it was best for him to go. Not to mention we're finally getting rid of all of Gazidis' hires. 

29 minutes ago, Chaaay AFC said:

Yeah just reading apparently it has a lot to do with the Pepe deal apparently be earned out of it. It probably is best he was moved on. 

Yeah to be honest I do think it was best for him to go. Not to mention we're finally getting rid of all of Gazidis' hires. 

He also was the man behind the deal Dembele to Barca for 145 million, it stinks of the same actions. 

Edited by SirBalon 69

1 hour ago, Chaaay AFC said:

People have given Arsenal shit for sacking people during a pandemic. But tbh some of the changes at Arsenal seem totally reasonable - Arsenal are ditching their more old school scouting approach for a more data driven recruitment method like us and City, for one.

And then this guy’s in charge of recruitment which is getting a massive overhaul and considering the money spent compared to the league position... its understandable they’ve sacked this guy (who also doesn’t get on with the new manager) and made an internal replacement. Particularly when they’re restructuring the whole way the club approaches recruitment and scouting.

And a lot of these changes have probably been needed for a while.

The guy who broke the Raul news before anyone else on Twitter is saying we should expect at least one Arsenal legend to join the board in the coming weeks. People are guessing David O'Leary and he's liking their tweets.

I hope this is true, we need people who love and understand the club.