• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

The Neverending German Football Quiz

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, Michael said:

At first glance, I am certain that I know the answers to questions  3, 4, 5, 7 and 10, as for the rest of the questions, I don't have a clue. Good questions though, but quite tough.

Send the answers in B| this is a never-ending quiz, so it's never too late to join xD

@Coma might be interested to join too? 

2 hours ago, nudge said:

Just waiting for @Dan@Deco@Tommy.

And potentially @Michael, if he decides to join!

Tomorrow afternoon/evening, maybe?

I'd usually play, but I've got a lot on my plate right now, so I'll have to give it a miss. But I might join next season or in a few months time if this quiz is still running. Great questions by the way, especially for those who are passionate about the Bundesliga and it's history. :91_thumbsup:

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Michael said:

I'd usually play, but I've got a lot on my plate right now, so I'll have to give it a miss. But I might join next season or in a few months time if this quiz is still running. Great questions by the way, especially for those who are passionate about the Bundesliga and it's history. :91_thumbsup:

No worries, feel free to join anytime :) 

• Subscriber
34 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

This time it's me who grouches for the results.

Coming up shortly! Just got home, the scores are already calculated, just need to type the answers properly.

41 minutes ago, nudge said:

Coming up shortly! Just got home, the scores are already calculated, just need to type the answers properly.

Or don't. Go for a walk or have a beer or something. :ph34r:

• Subscriber

Azeem @Dan @Deco @Faithcore @Rucksackfranzose @Spike @Stan @Tommy @Viva la FCB 

Round 9 Answers

1. Who was the first manager to get booked in the history of the 1. Bundesliga (1 pt.)
Steffen Baumgart in 2019/2020. Bookings for managers, coaches and other staff were introduced as a new rule by DFB in that season.

2. Name the club whose fans successfully tricked Google into censoring the stadium of their rivals out of Google Maps? (1 pt.)
BVB fans in 2010. In the end, that didn't exactly work out, as Google only accepts censoring requests from the owners or tenants of the buildings, but BVB fans got a little win next year, when they somehow managed to achieve that searching "Scheiße" on Google Maps would automatically show Schalke's HQ.

3. In early 90s, a German club sensationally won 7-0 against Valencia in the 2nd round of the UEFA Cup. 4 goals in this match were scored by a player who survived a serious accident just a week before, with his car somersaulting four times. Name the German club and the player (2 pts)
Karlsruhe. They lost the first leg 1-3, and were expected to lose heavily at home as well. Instead of losing, they won 7-0, with Edgar Schmitt scoring 4 goals, despite being involved in a bad accident a week before the 2nd leg. The match has been dubbed as "Wonder of the Wildpark", and Edgar Schmitt got a nickname of Euro-Eddy.

4. Name the club that once had their pre-season training/survival camp in the wilderness, with no electricity or running water, with players baking bread and preparing food for themselves. Additional point for naming the country where the training camp happened (2 pts.)
There were two correct answers here - either Mainz 05 in Sweden or HSV in Sweden, as both had survival-like camps there.

5. Name the ex-Bundesliga player who so desperately wanted to move to another club and play for them in the CL, that he lied about having injured himself by lifting up his child in order to avoid being cup-tied (1 pts)
Rafael van der Vaart. He was desperate to leave Hamburg for Valencia in 2007, and did his best to provoke HSV into selling him. He posed with a Valencia shirt in a photo session with AS, despite HSV claiming he was not for sale and rejecting all offers. Shortly after that, van der Vaart claimed to have injured his back while lifting his one year child, in order to avoid playing for HSV against Budapest in UEFA Cup, as that would have made him cup-tied. All of his efforts were fruitless, as HSV still refused to sell him, and fined him 30000€ instead. Van der Vaart joined Real Madrid a year later.

6. During the 2004 season, a 2. Bundesliga player agreed to join another club at the end of the season as they were promotion favourites at the time, whereas his club failed to get promoted for two years in a row. A few months later, during the last matchday of the season, the said player scored two goals, securing promotion for his "old" club at the expense of his "new" club and thus missed out on playing in 1. Bundesliga next season as a result. Name the player and the two clubs (3 pts)
Michael Thurk, who was playing for Mainz 05 under Jürgen Klopp, and signed a contract with Energie Cottbus for the next season. At the time, Cottbus were seen as promotion favourites, while Mainz finished 4th twice in a row. On the last matchday of the season, both Mainz and Cottbus were on equal points and fighting for the last promotion spot. Thurk went on to score 2 goals against Eintracht Trier, and the win guaranteed them 3rd place in the league and promotion to 1. Bundesliga, while Thurk had to move to Cottbus and stay in 2. Liga.

7. In 2001, an Australian player (currently a manager in the A-League) was involved in a corruption scandal named "the suitcase affair", in which paperwork of his ex-club was said to be falsified by his dodgy agent in order to get a transfer fee for him, despite him being out of contract. Name the German club involved, bonus point if you can name the player, too (2 pts)
Mark Rudan, who joined Alemania Aachen in 2000. The club paid the transfer fee in cash, when a suitcase full of money was handed over to the alleged representatives of his former club. His former club, however, didn't know anything about it, and Rudan was in fact a free agent. He was arrested at first, but then released and cleared of any wrongdoing. 

8. In the 60s, a German club played against an English club in the quarterfinals of the Champions League. Both legs ended in goalless draws, so according to the rules at the time, there was a third match to decide the outcome. This one also ended in another draw (2:2) after extra time, and as penalty shootouts were not a thing at the time, the match was to be decided by a wooden coin toss. However, the first attempt to decide the winner was also unsuccessful, as the coin landed on the ground on its edge. The English club advanced after the second coin toss. Name the two clubs involved (2 pts)
FC Köln v Liverpool in 1965. After two goalless draws in both legs of the tie, a replay was arranged in Rotterdam on March 24, 1965. Liverpool took an early two-goal lead and looked to be sailing through to the next round, thanks to goals from Ian St John and Roger Hunt, but Köln hit back through Karl-Heinz Thielen and Johanns Löhr as the two sides found themselves level once more. The matters had to be settled with the toss of the coin, but due to a heavy surface of the pitch, the coin landed at an angle which was impossible for anyone to see whether it had landed head or tails side up, so it had to be re-tossed. This time, Liverpool got lucky and advanced to the semifinals where they were knocked out by AC Milan.

9. Name the manager who once had to wear a bulletproof vest during the match due to the threats he received prior to the game. Bonus point for naming the reason for the threats against him (2 pt)
Otto Rehhagel, who received numerous threats for the horrific foul one of his players (Norbert Siegmann) committed against Ewald Lienen. Lienen was convinced that Rehhagel was the one who told Siegmann to foul him brutally, and the case was even brought to court.

10. What was the first team in the history of the 1. Bundesliga to not field any German player in their starting XI? (1 pt)
Energie Cottbus in 2001 against Wolfsburg. 
1-bundesliga-startelf-nur-mit-auslandern

Round 9 Points:

1. @Faithcore - 8 pts

2. @Rucksackfranzose - 7 pts

3. @Tommy - 5 pts

4. @Dan - 2 pts

@Spike - 2 pts

@Stan - 2 pts

@Viva la FCB - 2 pts

5. Azeem - 0 pts

Standings after Round 9:

1. Rucksackfranzose - 55 pts

2. Faithcore - 54 pts

3. Tommy - 40 pts

4. SchalkeUK - 29 pts

5. Deco - 21 pts

Stan - 21 pts

6. Viva la FSB - 14 pts

7. Dan - 11 pts

8. Azeem - 7 pts

Spike - 7 pts

9. Relling - 2 pts

• Subscriber
30 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Or don't. Go for a walk or have a beer or something. :ph34r:

Relax, you did well xD 

The fight at the top is getting very exciting...

Also I forgot to mention - kudos to @Viva la FCB for being the only one who got Rafael van der Vaart right! His answer to #9 also deserved at least 5 points...

• The title was changed to The Neverending German Football Quiz

Archived