• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

football forum

Question A Day

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Azeem said:

Name at least three big changes that you see in post covid-19 world.

  • Countries will finally take disease control seriously for a few years till some new fad crops up but I foresee a decade of it happening with major medical breakthroughs on both the political front and the actual science part of it all. Whether that will prepare us for the next big hit is a totally different story because when has any kind of government involvement ever progressed science for the greater good.
  • Companies will try to find better loopholes for getting out of employee security/responsibility as a result of all the wondrous handling of situations globally. I don't think we're going to see an improvement in the workspace dynamics but an actual regression as the flaunted excuse of financial burden is thrown around while a solution is devised.
  • Governments will review their contingency polices for decades to come while not involving people who can actually solve these problems so that they can use the ambiguity against the population to to fuel their campaigns with slogans like "We were with you when times were bad and we're still with you now" thereby making the population believe that they are doing the right thing. They'll also use technology like AI+ML+PA to make the Cambridge Analytics scam look like amateur-hour to do so because money won't be the goal, control will.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can't think of three just name one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Azeem said:

Name at least three big changes that you see in post covid-19 world.

- a large scale mass surveillance by the governments worldwide. The "emergency response measures" that have been introduced during the pandemic (citizen monitoring, movement tracking, curfews etc.) will largely remain intact and become normalized, leading to more loss of privacy and suppression of civil liberties and personal freedoms. 

- companies will shift even more to working remotely from home (where possible) and businesses will digitalize more rapidly. Changing customer habits will lead to the death of traditional retail as we know it. Same with schooling and education in general, which will become increasingly more e-learning, slowly taking over traditional in-class learning. 

- Travel as we know it will change forever. Cruise ships will disappear. Long-haul flights will become by far less common, both for personal and business purposes. Tourism will take a huge hit.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

- Travel as we know it will change forever. Cruise ships will disappear. Long-haul flights will become by far less common, both for personal and business purposes. Tourism will take a huge hit.

I do see change here but I think the exact opposite. We're going to see cruises and long-haul take far more preventative measures health-wise to lure people into their usage thereby boosting revenue for the travel industry. I know its easier said than done but I'd imagine that tourism has taken a severe hit worldwide so anything they can do to boost it back up will happen. I also think flights will start handing out sanitizer packets along with a water-bottle just to foster good faith and enforce safety guidelines for a while.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good question Azeem... 

If we were to look at this virus as a timely gift/early warning rather than the curse it is we could learn some valuable lessons from what it has forced us to do.... 

1. Personal Hygiene, I think that a lot of people just took simple things like washing their hands for granted and did not often bother so hopefully that might change, just because we might be able to reduce the amount of deaths and infections from it does not mean it's been eradicated for good so with a bit of luck people will still feel the need to be cautious... 

2. Personal Space, now this is a tough one because as soon as countries come out of lockdown people will be flooding back together in large groups for holidays, travel, football, and all manner of things after being cooped up inside for so long but can just imagine what the reaction might be from those around you if you are in a large group or a big queue somewhere and start coughing and spluttering, I should imagine some people will be cacking themselves... 

3. NHS over here, can't really speak for other countries and how they are set up but it's been clear that our NHS has been woefully understaffed and equipped for some time and it has taken a virus like this to push it to near breaking point and really does bring home the reality of how poorly prepared we were for such an event. I appreciate that with a virus in it's early stages it would have been difficult to make accurate predictions on what might happen but our Government had a big heads up seeing what was happening all over the rest of Europe and simply failed to act with any urgency on the matter and they have contributed greatly to untold deaths due to complacency in the early stages... 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without going into much details these three i think will change fundamentally 

Travel

Urban planning

Economy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Same with schooling and education in general, which will become increasingly more e-learning, slowly taking over traditional in-class learning. 

 

I don't think it will happen that rapidly in the developing world, universities tried it here but had to cancel because many students can't access e-learning and the infrastructure isn't there to support it on such scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Azeem said:

I don't think it will happen that rapidly in the developing world, universities tried it here but had to cancel because many students can't access e-learning and the infrastructure isn't there to support it on such scale.

Understandable, but I think the current situation will serve as an incentive to start implementing the changes needed for the transformation nevertheless, even if slowly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I do see change here but I think the exact opposite. We're going to see cruises and long-haul take far more preventative measures health-wise to lure people into their usage thereby boosting revenue for the travel industry. I know its easier said than done but I'd imagine that tourism has taken a severe hit worldwide so anything they can do to boost it back up will happen. I also think flights will start handing out sanitizer packets along with a water-bottle just to foster good faith and enforce safety guidelines for a while.

I imagine airport/border controls and procedures will become even more of a nightmare. When (if?) the vaccine becomes available, I could see airlines and border control authorities requiring proof of vaccination in order to travel and enter the country as well. 

I can definitely see the attempts to desperately boost tourism happening, but it is also likely to face the hurdle of financial limitations and changing attitudes. A lot of people will be afraid or won't be able to travel anymore due to their financial situation, and the locals whose livelihoods depend on tourists will be torn between wanting to make a living and fearing a new outbreak brought in by the same travellers. 

I think in general there will sadly be a significant rise in xenophobia, hostility and mistrust towards foreigners in many places worldwide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nudge said:

- a large scale mass surveillance by the governments worldwide. The "emergency response measures" that have been introduced during the pandemic (citizen monitoring, movement tracking, curfews etc.) will largely remain intact and become normalized, leading to more loss of privacy and suppression of civil liberties and personal freedoms.

- companies will shift even more to working remotely from home (where possible) and businesses will digitalize more rapidly. Changing customer habits will lead to the death of traditional retail as we know it. Same with schooling and education in general, which will become increasingly more e-learning, slowly taking over traditional in-class learning. 

- Travel as we know it will change forever. Cruise ships will disappear. Long-haul flights will become by far less common, both for personal and business purposes. Tourism will take a huge hit.

Ive been talking again about this recently but its funny; Do you remember the movie Enemy of the State with Will Smith, Gene Hackman? anyways great movie in its day with a tonne of really good actors. The movie was about the government monitoring everyone and everything for "national security" Its funny because of how relevant and how close to the mark it actually was and this was if memory serves me in the early 2000's it came out. There is 0 doubt in my mind most governments over monitor the average person these days at the very least to some degree. 

Anyways on topic I think you guys have done a good job covering most of the thing I was thinking. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I nominate @Spike to test us with his endless wisdom, once we are done with this question 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Azeem said:

I nominate @Spike to test us with his endless wisdom, once we are done with this question 

rightyo then cobber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What international country (and their actions) concerns you the most? Whether it be from a cultural, individual, or governmental point-of-view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good question, theres alot to work with here. From a personal standpoint it absolutely has to be the US for me though. Trump is an absolute fucking lunatic and alot of what he does or doesnt do directly affects us. I live basically an hour ish drive away from several border crossings into Washington state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Good question, theres alot to work with here. From a personal standpoint it absolutely has to be the US for me though. Trump is an absolute fucking lunatic and alot of what he does or doesnt do directly affects us. I live basically an hour ish drive away from several border crossings into Washington state. 

I thought you'd be more concerned about China given that in Vancouver the local government had to restrict land-owning to citizens due to Chinese and Hong Kong nationals buying all the property leaving empty housing. It's a similar issue in Australia but it's local land magnates that sit on investment properties and housing and rake income due to negative gearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Spike said:

I thought you'd be more concerned about China given that in Vancouver the local government had to restrict land-owning to citizens due to Chinese and Hong Kong nationals buying all the property leaving empty housing. It's a similar issue in Australia but it's local land magnates that sit on investment properties and housing and rake income due to negative gearing.

Less of a concern personally as I baught into the housing market 6 years ago and sold a little before the pandemic. That is a large concern for my general demographic and the generation after me though absolutely. On the grand scheme our housing issue is absolutely not a big deal compared to the pandemic and the president of the world police as our neighbour anyways.

Edited by Viva la FCB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be cool to get this going again... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nudge said:

Would be cool to get this going again... 

Yep, when this thread was created we were in full lock-down with no footy etc, now we have had some restrictions lifted and footy is back and some other sports, with restrictions of course

Just curious, do you think we should still be in full lock-down or keep it going the way it is? the not gathering in crowds have proved a damp squib with a few dick heads that think they are better than others.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Yep, when this thread was created we were in full lock-down with no footy etc, now we have had some restrictions lifted and footy is back and some other sports, with restrictions of course

Just curious, do you think we should still be in full lock-down or keep it going the way it is? the not gathering in crowds have proved a damp squib with a few dick heads that think they are better than others.

  

Obviously it’s slightly different for us in England than it is you in Scotland at the moment but I think we should be in full lockdown. Yes, it will fuck the economy up more but it’s the only way to stop arseholes from going out. I’ve been following the rules to the letter as I don’t want to get the virus or pass it on to anyone I love which makes it all the more annoying when I see people on my Facebook taking selfies with each other when they don’t even live together (and aren’t 2m apart)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

Yep, when this thread was created we were in full lock-down with no footy etc, now we have had some restrictions lifted and footy is back and some other sports, with restrictions of course

Just curious, do you think we should still be in full lock-down or keep it going the way it is? the not gathering in crowds have proved a damp squib with a few dick heads that think they are better than others.

Depends on a country, as the situation and demographics in different countries vary massively... We're ending the lockdown in one week, but most of the restrictions have already been removed (gradually) a few weeks ago anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Depends on a country, as the situation and demographics in different countries vary massively... We're ending the lockdown in one week, but most of the restrictions have already been removed (gradually) a few weeks ago anyway.

That's very true, some countries are getting the highest numbers yet of new cases with COVID-19, while others are reporting very few new cases. In general, I don't think this virus will leave us anytime soon and I am sure we will have a second wave of this virus hit most places in a few months time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll get this started again 

Any conspiracy theory you believe is true ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Michael said:

That's very true, some countries are getting the highest numbers yet of new cases with COVID-19, while others are reporting very few new cases. In general, I don't think this virus will leave us anytime soon and I am sure we will have a second wave of this virus hit most places in a few months time. 

:ph34r:

FB_IMG_1591643189254.thumb.jpg.3d9130f78e897f7df6bb7ffbe837322c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, nudge said:

:ph34r:

FB_IMG_1591643189254.thumb.jpg.3d9130f78e897f7df6bb7ffbe837322c.jpg

Typical of the Protests and Riots coming early this year... Not even had a chance to take my COVID-19 decorations down yet before all that starts kicking off... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to September when aliens invade then realise how fucked up this world is and it's better off heading back to wherever they came from!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would you describe the history of your club to a complete stranger in only one paragraph?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

How would you describe the history of your club to a complete stranger in only one paragraph?

The Unbelievables. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Stan said:

The Unbelievables. 

That could be anyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement