talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea Discussion

football forum

@Cicero @Bluewolf apparently chelsea wont sack potter if Chelsea dont make top 4. Do you think it is a good idea to give potter time as long as there is gradual improvement or do you want instant results. Personally I think if you can get a manager who will stay at a club for a long time it's better. I mean we gave arteta time and we have got better. Even if we get rid of him he has still improved the club

2 minutes ago, Gunnersaurus said:

@Cicero @Bluewolf apparently chelsea wont sack potter if Chelsea dont make top 4. Do you think it is a good idea to give potter time as long as there is gradual improvement or do you want instant results. Personally I think if you can get a manager who will stay at a club for a long time it's better. I mean we gave arteta time and we have got better. Even if we get rid of him he has still improved the club

It would make a nice change to have something more long term... I am not bothered about instant success as long as we have steady progress season on season, If Potter can get the best out of the side we have now we could still win things during that time.. I suppose it's all going to depend on whether Boehly is really in it for the long haul or not?? If he is then regardless of the results or position from the first couple of seasons he will still back him even if the improvement is steady rather than immediate... If on the other hand Boehly hired Potter just because he wanted a 'yes man' then I am not so sure...

Going by the Ronaldo saga that took place it seemed as though Boehly was keen to try and bring in a big name as a statement signing and Tuchel was not keen on that idea and if he tried the same thing again with whomever ( insert big name here ) in the future then it could be a case of Potter having to concede ground and taking a player he might not want and then trying to make that work within the team which is a recipe for disaster.. 

Still, we can only guess at the possible outcomes at this point... 

Well who would have thought it? The Yanks have a touch of the Russian Roulette about them. While I knew he needed to be moved on, I never for one minute felt the new lot would have it in them to one, Sack him so early after the cash spending and two, see what I could see with him being a charlatan who upset more players than Jose and for being a so called tactical genius, who brought some of the very worst football a Chelsea team has produced in decades.

Those Chelsea fans who have found shock & disappointment with the last few days tend to have their hearts n minds clouded by what TT did in the media room during the tough times we endured when our government removed our owner as a nothing weapon against Russia. While he became a media darling and painted himself as a wonderful human. Sitting in the stands watching his teams cough n splutter has left me no doubt this is the correct decision. You all sat there with me, if you think anything else of his football you are blinded by how he made you feel with his words.  Some would have you believe of the Seven forwards at the club at the end of the season, Five asked to leave, spouting the manager as the reason why. Its obvious he told Lukaku one thing and did the opposite.

So much more I could write, but after 7,000+ posts in this thread since the sacking there is no need to do a autopsy.

Maybe we have an answer now why we bought 32? There does seem to be plenty of evidence the new man has been penciled in for a while. Many of you have picked up on this before me in the thread and we all know some of you have proven contacts. SpaldingSam post on Billy Gilmore is excellent and a real eye opener.  PatrickStephansX point on the Arsenal USA fiasco after the game has to be one of the posts of the thread. I remember Matt Law talking on a Podcast hinting of Patricks very point and I understand he touched on it again these past few days on that American Podcast. Maybe that truth will come out over the coming days.

Potter is the new man and I will offer my thoughts on him in his thread.

I can't help feeling Potter is an appointment by owners who accept they are not experts but are happy to take the recommendations of people they believe are experts. That for me then brings into question who they believe are experts?

Like many Chelsea fans since Potters appointment I have been researching as much as I can trying to get a feel for the bloke. Of course most are talking him up for the job he done at Brighton, but for me what stands out from his time at Brighton is he had exactly the same problem as TT with lack of goals for a long time.

Other raised eyebrow findings, he is a coach of many formations and tends to play players in different positions from week to week. That maybe lack of personnel, but we have had enough of that ourselves. I flagged up TT doing that far too often.

Its a brave appointment, one a top club would only make with novice football owners. Potter has to convince his veteran squad members early or he will struggle. As far as us fans, we need to be told clearly what his remit is. I can handle a re-build, but I want to be told that's his remit.

I personally don't think CFC will remain more that a couple of seasons under Boehly think we will end up with another foreign billionaire. 

I would have liked to have seen TT given more time yet think the owner saw some below par football late last season and it continued into this one and then a difference of opinion after our last result.

Purchase agreement states Boehly can't sell within 10 years. 

I've read his interview and although his ideas do not even come close to reflecting the tradition of Premier league and European football, its quite easy to tell how he's become a billionaire. Lot of ideas to bring in funding. 

Mixed stories coming out from various places and one of them was how Tuchel didn't share the same vision as Boehlyvich which is not really much of a shock... What is though is that surely he would have got a feel for Tuchel before stumping up 250Mill in transfers for him?? That I don't get.

Boehly dispels Tuchel sack myth after revealing real reason Chelsea cut ties; takes stand on European Super League (msn.com)

Other stories coming out about Kante stalling over a new deal where they are not seeing eye to eye on the contract length due to his injuries.. 

Chelsea facing another transfer exodus as concerning Todd Boehly fallout comes to light (msn.com)

2 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Mixed stories coming out from various places and one of them was how Tuchel didn't share the same vision as Boehlyvich which is not really much of a shock... What is though is that surely he would have got a feel for Tuchel before stumping up 250Mill in transfers for him?? That I don't get.

Boehly dispels Tuchel sack myth after revealing real reason Chelsea cut ties; takes stand on European Super League (msn.com)

My take, Tuchel didn't like it when the owners got involved in the day to day. Didn't want to be micromanaged. He spent months working with Cech and Marina and they never got involved in anything. They let him do his thing. You then look at Tuchel's tenure at PSG and Dortmund, and things start to make sense. Maybe that's been the issue regarding our recruitment strategy, which has been appalling for the past decade. No director of football that works with the head coach to establish an actual identity create a effective scouting network.

You look at Txiki at City and he is heavily involved with Pep and the team. 

• Upvote 1

Apparently close to appointing Christopher Freund as DoF. 

Know nothing about him other than he saw the recruitment at Salzburg for these players:

Haaland
Sesko
Mane
Adeyemi
Upamecano
Keita
Laimer
Gulasci
Sabitzer
Daka
Mwepu
Szbosozlai

Edited by Cicero

I feel Todd's words yesterday, poo-pood by Klopp, will sound like sweet music to all owners of EPL Clubs. How old is the Premier league, 30? I don't think we have had so many ideas in how to raise revenue put out there since the clubs back slapped each other holding out for Sky to cough up for that very first TV contract.

What do they need to pass something new, 14 clubs? I would have thought 12-15 would be in favor straight away as, say for a all star game, if going by Baseball, those low clubs will be expected to only offer one player each. Money for old rope. I remember relegation play-off's in the past, grounds full, home n away. Don't see why it can't be brought back.

If the little clubs don't want the big clubs to start a Euro league, they need to anti up more revenue and relegation play-offs is an easy sell to an audience.
I am sure Todd will get some stick, but for me its about time someone ruffled a few feathers n woke up a stagnant EPL.

Edited by The Liquidator

There is nothing wrong with All-Star games, but it isn't a part of this particular sporting culture. More competitions is ludicrous, the FA and English League Cup have already been debased to the point of meaninglessness, why does there need to be more noise? Bring back the prestige and allure of the FA Cup, it should be equivalent to winning the League.

• Upvote 1

If he is talking about it being a MLB all star/NBA all star type game it is a once off spectacle.   The MLB all star game is subject to a flawed selection system where fans can vote unlimited number of times.   It would be nice if there has to be at least one player from every club and no more than two from any club just to balance it out or it will end up a "big team" circle jerk. 

Maybe they can have a week break in December and this game is played on boxing day. 

Edited by OrangeKhrush

Disappointing to only draw against Salzburg,

Sterling scores for us yet again.

Auba looking rusty and Broja lively when he came on with an excellent run out of defence into attack. 

Many chances missed, Mount, Ziyech, Broja yet they score late on due to Silva going to ground and not clearing it properly and on the subsequent cross Azpi not sharp enough to close down and block the attacker in the centre.

This aside we looked to play more progressively. 

The performance wasn't bad and we created enough to score more. As we failed we got punished, and we are still a defensive mess. I like the formation with a bit of more midfielders, i would rather we switch back to a 433 but Graham should find the best option for us. Good performance by Mason probably his only second this season, he needs to bounce back soon. We now have a break of over 2 weeks and time to adjust to a new system and hopefully we play good against Palace when we return.

Chelsea sack commercial director Willoughby for sending a string of 'Inappropriate' messages to finance agent Catalina Kim... 

Exclusive: Chelsea sack senior executive after claims of sexual harassment over inappropriate messages (msn.com)

The club statement... 

“Evidence of inappropriate messages sent by Mr Willoughby, prior to his appointment at Chelsea FC earlier this month, has recently been provided to and investigated by the club. While they were sent prior to his employment at the club, such behaviour runs absolutely counter to the workplace environment and corporate culture being established by the club’s new ownership.

“The club’s owners are working tirelessly to set and achieve the highest standards both on and off the pitch, and are determined to establish and nurture a culture of transparency, accountability, inclusivity, diversity and opportunity. The club is committed to creating an environment which embodies these values.”