talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

American Politics Discussion

football forums

interesting developments in the George Floyd matter, if Any Sweasy wins her dad against the Minniapolis State Prosecution there is a very good chance the Chauvin trial will be deemed a miss trial and he will be acquitted.

she is suing her own employer for mala fides in prosecuting a case where they knew there was no evidence of injury attributed to suffocation.  he also had 10x the lethal dosage of Fentanyl in his blood.  the panic of being arrested drive his heart rate up and he died of a heart attack which was the official declaration.

the novus causus intervenus principle can apply, even if you accept that Chauvin would have killed him, if an intervening cause breaks the causal nexus, it cannot be murder.   eg: you shoot someone but they survive but are critical, the helicopter on route to the ER crashes, cause of death is the crash, you cannot be charged with murder, you can face other charges but much lesser charges.

from a legal stand point it is interesting.  obviously there are powers that needed to milk the George Floyd incident for political reasons and I'm sure they will do whatever they can to bury it.  the same powers that have protected any inquest into the current presidents involvement in foreign dealings while pushing of all things tax irregularities against another.

Edited by OrangeKhrush

7 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

he also had 10x the lethal dosage of Fentanyl in his blood.

That's not what the autopsy report says...

In actual American politics news, the GOP still can't pick a speaker because of all the unity in their party. Pedo protector Jim Jordan ended his pursuit of being one of the most powerful men in America after he got less votes in the second vote than he did the first time around. Now there's a shortlist of 9 possible next speakers of the house, because there's so much unity within the party. They're totally fit to govern and aren't a massive joke trying to throw divisive stories like the George Floyd bullshit against the wall to see if it sticks in an attempt at further driving culture wars to distract from how much of a joke they are.

Trump's also had 3 of his lawyers take plea deals in Georgia. But I'm sure that also has nothing to do with the right-wing's favourite culture warrior taking to twitter to try to reignite a culture war battle over paying attention to what's actually happening in American politics.

The party that's never been more in unity continues to demonstrate that unity by having another speaker candidate drop out over infighting in the party: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-house-republicans-try-again-pick-leader-2023-10-24/

Never before has the US had such competence and unity in their legislative branch.

13 hours ago, OrangeKhrush said:

interesting developments in the George Floyd matter, if Any Sweasy wins her dad against the Minniapolis State Prosecution there is a very good chance the Chauvin trial will be deemed a miss trial and he will be acquitted.

she is suing her own employer for mala fides in prosecuting a case where they knew there was no evidence of injury attributed to suffocation.  he also had 10x the lethal dosage of Fentanyl in his blood.  the panic of being arrested drive his heart rate up and he died of a heart attack which was the official declaration.

the novus causus intervenus principle can apply, even if you accept that Chauvin would have killed him, if an intervening cause breaks the causal nexus, it cannot be murder.   eg: you shoot someone but they survive but are critical, the helicopter on route to the ER crashes, cause of death is the crash, you cannot be charged with murder, you can face other charges but much lesser charges.

from a legal stand point it is interesting.  obviously there are powers that needed to milk the George Floyd incident for political reasons and I'm sure they will do whatever they can to bury it.  the same powers that have protected any inquest into the current presidents involvement in foreign dealings while pushing of all things tax irregularities against another.

You have a fascinating selective memory. On the one hand you remember George Floyd had taken a lethal dosage of Fentanyl, although the autopsy report doesn't state this- on the other hand you've forgotten Trump isn't only accused  of tax irregularities, but also because of violations of the Espionage Act, obstruction of justice and betrayal.

Edited by Rucksackfranzose

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The party that's never been more in unity continues to demonstrate that unity by having another speaker candidate drop out over infighting in the party: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-house-republicans-try-again-pick-leader-2023-10-24/

Never before has the US had such competence and unity in their legislative branch.

I truly am enjoying this clown fiesta from afar xD

Theres something like 9 candidates throwing their names in the ring now since Gym Jordan stepped aside. 

23 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You have a fascinating selective memory. On the one hand you remember George Floyd had taken a lethal dosage of Fentanyl, although the autopsy report doesn't state this- on the other hand you've forgotten Trump isn't only accused  of tax irregularities, but also because of iolations of the Espionage Act, obstruction of justice and betrayal.

And trying to overturn an election because he lost and that made him sad

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Didn't know the relevant legal term in English and omitted it, therefore.:)

Tbf I have no idea if that’s the legal term. Its what the Georgia case is about let me look it up really quickly.

It’s a criminal racketeering charge(!) - sounds worse in legal terms.

And in other news in the GOP circus, they’ve put forward their 4th nominee as speaker of the house. One congressman called this “democracy in action” - but this has never happened in the US before. It’s a bit mental.

18 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

I truly am enjoying this clown fiesta from afar xD

Theres something like 9 candidates throwing their names in the ring now since Gym Jordan stepped aside. 

They finally elected a speaker. Now to see if the new guy can avoid a shutdown.

He seems fairly radical, so I doubt he's able to.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They finally elected a speaker. Now to see if the new guy can avoid a shutdown.

He seems fairly radical, so I doubt he's able to.

Apparently he was involved in efforts in 2018 to overhaul the endangered species act xD. Everything Ive read points to him being an ultra conservative so no real shocker there. 

23 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

Apparently he was involved in efforts in 2018 to overhaul the endangered species act xD. Everything Ive read points to him being an ultra conservative so no real shocker there. 

He's an absolute zealot, like Mike Pence. Good description of these types of politicians is: taliban in a suit.

10 hours ago, Danny said:

Honestly I don’t know how they’re going to end mass shootings but it won’t be with gun control.

New speaker of the house has suggested the correct response to handling mass shootings is prayer.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

New speaker of the house has suggested the correct response to handling mass shootings is prayer.

And there you have it. Culturally gun ownership is so ingrained into the way of life for a lot of Americans.

I feel like you’d more likely see a split of the States than pro-gun areas accept severe restrictions.

Yes, it's just going to keep happening. The conversation is exactly the same now as it was 30 years ago. Complete with the straight faced, no joke, car bumper sticker slogan 'guns don't kill people, people do'

There is the US unique idea of constitutional right to bear arms. Here & I think majority of places, it's seen as a handle with care, by qualified people only. Over in the US, it is that entitlement, there for all to see, each & every time the latest proud gun owner goes bananas. And exercises his constitutional right.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He's an absolute zealot, like Mike Pence. Good description of these types of politicians is: taliban in a suit.

Ah yes, because those prayers after the last shootings, and the ones before that, and the ones before that, worked so well...

6 hours ago, Stan said:

Ah yes, because those prayers after the last shootings, and the ones before that, and the ones before that, worked so well...

Usually they suggest thoughts AND prayers. This guy just suggesting prayers, with no accompanying thoughts. Budget cuts or a sign that GOP leadership is vocally anti-thought?

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Usually they suggest thoughts AND prayers. This guy just suggesting prayers, with no accompanying thoughts. Budget cuts or a sign that GOP leadership is vocally anti-thought?

So many of them were devoid of thought anyway. 

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently there is support for the family to sue the outlet that defamed the kid.   This is how stupid it has become. 

Carron J Phillips the black writer from Deadspin called for the Chiefs to take action against a black face fan,   apparently the chiefs black and red was not obvious enough,  we need to have white shaming.   Phillips should be sued along with deadpan for defamation and Phillips forced by court to apologise for being the real racist. 

1 hour ago, OrangeKhrush said:

Apparently there is support for the family to sue the outlet that defamed the kid.   This is how stupid it has become. 

Carron J Phillips the black writer from Deadspin called for the Chiefs to take action against a black face fan,   apparently the chiefs black and red was not obvious enough,  we need to have white shaming.   Phillips should be sued along with deadpan for defamation and Phillips forced by court to apologise for being the real racist. 

I've never heard of this, but lol - Deadspin should fire the writer for sure.

Still, I think that's a weird bit of American news to bring to the American politics thread. It's not really politics, other than some dickhead trying to fight a culture war and I'm sure the people most worked up about it are the ones most invested in this stupid culture war bullshit. Basically a total non-issue that if you're not a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs... it's not something that would be on most peoples radars in the US. It's not even anywhere close to the front page of the NFL subreddit. Seems like maybe this kid has a case for defamation, but that's not really political news is it? Some shit journalist for some fringe website being a shit journalist and getting himself in some legal trouble isn't really notable in the US tbh. It's the land of lawsuits.

37 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I've never heard of this, but lol - Deadspin should fire the writer for sure.

Still, I think that's a weird bit of American news to bring to the American politics thread. It's not really politics, other than some dickhead trying to fight a culture war and I'm sure the people most worked up about it are the ones most invested in this stupid culture war bullshit. Basically a total non-issue that if you're not a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs... it's not something that would be on most peoples radars in the US. It's not even anywhere close to the front page of the NFL subreddit. Seems like maybe this kid has a case for defamation, but that's not really political news is it? Some shit journalist for some fringe website being a shit journalist and getting himself in some legal trouble isn't really notable in the US tbh. It's the land of lawsuits.

I think the culture war is very much the only thing American politics is predicated on these days,  who can pretend to be the most moral, while doing absolutely nothing other than fulfil morally questionable aims like getting rich.   This one backfired beautifully on the narrative machine much like how the native American population in Washington want the Redskins name reinstated due to the long standing history between the redskins organisation and the native population,  there is an ongoing lawsuit by the native American institution (it has a name) and if they win they want the Redskins name reinstated as they consider it not derogatory but rather a testament to the long cooperative relationship.   The redskins name was change by white people who have to act offended for everyone else. 

What is however very offensive is scranton's pro-hamas rally which drew a few thousand people who were advocating for killing Jews,  of course the cops did nothing, nor did the Pensylvanian government.  In countering the rally multiple pro israel rally's were held in which millions of people attended,  no anti arab hatred, and seeing a political opportunity a few democrat big wigs like Schumer used the low hanging fruit to push the unwaivering support of the US,  to again show how valuable the culture wars are to american society. 

4 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

I think the culture war is very much the only thing American politics is predicated on these days,  who can pretend to be the most moral, while doing absolutely nothing other than fulfil morally questionable aims like getting rich.   This one backfired beautifully on the narrative machine much like how the native American population in Washington want the Redskins name reinstated due to the long standing history between the redskins organisation and the native population,  there is an ongoing lawsuit by the native American institution (it has a name) and if they win they want the Redskins name reinstated as they consider it not derogatory but rather a testament to the long cooperative relationship.   The redskins name was change by white people who have to act offended for everyone else. 

What is however very offensive is scranton's pro-hamas rally which drew a few thousand people who were advocating for killing Jews,  of course the cops did nothing, nor did the Pensylvanian government.  In countering the rally multiple pro israel rally's were held in which millions of people attended,  no anti arab hatred, and seeing a political opportunity a few democrat big wigs like Schumer used the low hanging fruit to push the unwaivering support of the US,  to again show how valuable the culture wars are to american society. 

The culture war is of such little importance and is only used to drive a wedge between people to force them onto either side of "liberal" or "conservative" even though both parties in the US are remarkably similar - and that's because at the end of the day both parties are slaves to the same corporate masters.

Regardless, I don't think you can assume NAGA (the institution you're talking about) speaks for all natives in the US - https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/02/04/native-mascots-survey/#:~:text=Contrary to polls showing that relatively few Native,team’s 87-year-old moniker and Native mascots in general. it seems like there's basically a 50-50 split over whether they support the name being changed. Regardless of what you, I, or any other white person might think... the previous name is a racial slur.

At the end of the day... who fucking cares? It's an NFL team that's changed it's name from something that might offend half the people in the community it was named after. Now they've got a name that will offend less people and people just want to be offended that the name has changed. Who gives a fuck? It's an American football team name.

I don't know if you want to talk about no anti-Arab hatred in the US though considering 3 Palestinian kids were just shot for being Palestinian. America's clearly got a problem with antisemitism and anti-Muslim sentiment. Given the events that have transpired in Australia, the UK, France, Germany, Spain, etc... it doesn't appear to be isolated to the US either.

I also don't know what you're expecting in the US to do with this rally in Scranton, PA. If you expect cops to break the rally up... why the hell would you expect that? It's the US, KKK members can advocate for killing every non-white, white supremacists can hold rallies and chant "Jews will not replace us," a large number of morons can even storm the US Capitol building and just get a slap on the wrist for trying to overthrow the government. They take freedom of speech more seriously than other countries, even when it's hateful speech that shouldn't be protected. Expecting the government to do anything about a protest in the US is wild. Even when it gets violent and unlawful, I doubt arrests would come after the protests - like they did with the rioters who stormed the US capitol. And even then, the charges they'll get would be... pitiful considering the offense. And from what I can tell, these riots didn't get violent. They just chanted repugnant things.

But you, a non-American that doesn't live or work in America, getting worked up about the US culture wars makes no sense. @Spike and I are non-Americans living and working in the USA. I'm pretty sure both of us see the culture war as nothing more than a divisive distraction issue. @Coma's American and I'm fairly certain he feels the same way. It's just bizarre to care so much about America's culture wars. For most Americans these issues aren't even close to important.

If people stopped focusing on culture wars and started focusing on why politicians in the US are so bad at doing anything other than pleasing corporate interests, the US would be a lot better off. It doesn't need people that are pretty unconnected from the US other than consuming their culture joining in on fighting the culture wars that the corporate interests are pushing.

What you're doing is just proving to the Murdoch family that their investment in getting people to care more about these utterly stupid culture wars is something that can successfully be exported to other countries - so that people stop caring about what matters and start getting at other peoples throats over stupid shit like the names of NFL teams.