talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 3-1 Leeds - Saturday 5th December, 2020

football forum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’re struggling to get Mount and Havertz on the ball enough, one of the few times we get the ball into them in a good area and it resulted in us scoring, with Silva playing a pass only certain defenders play. Havertz was brilliant in that moment but it’s true he and Mount have been underwhelming so far.

Chelsea fans, how is Thiago Silva doing so far?

I really hope he succeeds in England. In my opinion, he´s one of the best defenders of his generation, probably one of the best brazilian defenders ever, but playing for so long at PSG means that he doesn´t have the recognition he deserves, in my opinion. That´s why I really want him to do well at a bigger stage. 

Mount my man of the match. What a performance. :x

It was always going to be a tricky game and it took great mental strength to win from a goal behind. Thought we wasted loads but Lampard's calculated risk Wednesday night paid off as we matched Leeds intensity the entire 90. Havertz still needs to cope with the intensity of the English game, however this was a tricky game for him to be thrown into. 

If Werner is wasting chances, then he's setting them up. Always involved the lad. The club also needs to find the fountain of youth for Silva. Immense. 

What a win. 

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Well, he is doing great to be honest.... I made a joke earlier in the season about one OAP not being able to save us from all our defensive woes and not sure how many eggs I can get on my face but imagine it's a fair few.... Him and Mendy have made such a huge difference at the back with their experience and composure the difference is amazing... Quality players helping us rectify issues from last season

• The topic was unpinned
57 minutes ago, shut up said:

It's early days but Havertz has been poor so far this season. I'm struggling to see what his strengths are. 

He's done quite well but out of the new signings, he's been the least impressive. He has a lot of nice moments in games but can come across as a little passive at times which will always bring about criticism from British fans and make him an easier target. He's capable of more definitely but I'm happy with him so far, he can do a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed in games, for example, the first goal today, he intelligently makes some space to receive the ball in a good position (despite being followed everywhere) and consequently gets the team in a good position up the pitch, he has the technical ability to take the ball under pressure in those situations. It's stuff like that he does very well but he's capable of taking his game up a few levels definitely, still early days mind. He does sometimes get caught on the ball and hopefully that will get better as he adapts.

2 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

He's done quite well but out of the new signings, he's been the least impressive. He has a lot of nice moments in games but can come across as a little passive at times which will always bring about criticism from British fans and make him an easier target. He's capable of more definitely but I'm happy with him so far, he can do a lot of stuff that goes unnoticed in games, for example, the first goal today, he intelligently makes some space to receive the ball in a good position (despite being followed everywhere) and consequently gets the team in a good position up the pitch, he has the technical ability to take the ball under pressure in those situations. It's stuff like that he does very well but he's capable of taking his game up a few levels definitely, still early days mind. He does sometimes get caught on the ball and hopefully that will get better as he adapts.

I'd agree.

Werner and Chilwell fit right in. Took no time at all. 

Ziyech adjusted relatively quickly after his injury. 

Havertz had a couple set backs with arriving late and then COVID. Heard the latter also took a heavy toll on him. Pace of the league is something he needs to come to grips with. 

On another topic, Mount created seven chances tonight. More than any player for us this season. He's developing his game. 

I've no complaints. Deserved win for Chelsea. If I'm perfectly honest, I was disappointed with us, especially 2nd half. Our intensity wasn't there unlike against Everton.

We weren't really at the races at all. Normally we really hustle and harry teams, but it actually felt like Chelsea did that to us. There was no composure on the ball in possession, we gave the ball away a lot and every set piece felt like panic stations quite frankly. But for the keeper (and Werner), it could have been more.

The only thing I will say, and it does annoy me, is despite being under the cosh, we've been done out of a penalty to make it 2-2 because our player has been honest.

IMG_20201205_215806.thumb.jpg.5c30f4418964473eab34e1d3627209a4.jpg

Robertson and Fuchs penalised for it the past week and had they looked at it, I'm sure Chilwell would have been.

But it would have been an injustice to get a point.

Reece James was your best player for me. An absolute beast we struggled to get by all night and his delivery was a menace. Saw him play for Wigan against us a couple years ago and he's going to be a top player. PFA young player of the year contender for me.

59 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

I really hope he succeeds in England. In my opinion, he´s one of the best defenders of his generation, probably one of the best brazilian defenders ever, but playing for so long at PSG means that he doesn´t have the recognition he deserves, in my opinion. That´s why I really want him to do well at a bigger stage. 

Been a mountain so far. I'll give him full judgement at the end of the season though, just like with all the other new signings. This season will only get tougher.

Back when Terry used to partner Cahill in central defence. The story goes something like this, there was one day Terry didn't play and Cahill was having a bad game and I remember one Chelsea fan saying that this game Cahill needs to have an earpiece in so that Terry can talk him through his every move as he wasn't the same player when Terry wasn't there. Cahill was a good servant for the club and to say he was a completely different player when Terry wasn't there is a little harsh when you look at his Chelsea career as a whole but that particular comment hit home that day. Terry I believe played every game of the 2014/15 season at nearly 35 years old and he dragged Cahill's game up a couple of levels that season, strangely enough, the other centre back that benefited and even learned from Terry that season, is the guy who finds himself starting next to Thiago Silva these days, Kurt Zouma. Terry did have and Silva (so far) is having a big impact and influence on the defence.

Archived