The better place to talk football.

Manchester City Discussion

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Replacing Gundogan with Nunes and Kovacic was always madness if you ask me but the fact Pep doesn't trust either one of them along with Kalvin Phillips is just crazy.

A few lads in work have heard Kovacic is leaving to Galatasary in January which wouldn't surprise me at all. 

He can't keep picking defenders in midfield and expect results. 

I don’t understand the issue with Nunes? He’s a good player. I like Kovacic but he has struggled, still compared to Phillips if Pep is playing you it means you fit what hes after.

I watched a video at the beginning of the season that essentially said that with Doku, Nunes and Kovacic he was moving away from the style he used last season of consistently high possession, pinning teams back and slowly threading it through to trying tk use space between defenders to allow for players like them and Foden, Bernardo, Grealish etc to make runs earlier and be more direct.

It’s unfair to say those players have failed considering the injuries they’ve sustained to key players (Nunes included there) coupled with the fact that it’s pretty common for players to struggle at their first season with City.

They literally have one less point this season compared to where they were last season, they are still due to have key players back and are notorious for going on a good run in the second half of the season.

A lot is being made out of nothing here.

33 minutes ago, Danny said:

I don’t understand the issue with Nunes? He’s a good player. I like Kovacic but he has struggled, still compared to Phillips if Pep is playing you it means you fit what hes after.

I watched a video at the beginning of the season that essentially said that with Doku, Nunes and Kovacic he was moving away from the style he used last season of consistently high possession, pinning teams back and slowly threading it through to trying tk use space between defenders to allow for players like them and Foden, Bernardo, Grealish etc to make runs earlier and be more direct.

It’s unfair to say those players have failed considering the injuries they’ve sustained to key players (Nunes included there) coupled with the fact that it’s pretty common for players to struggle at their first season with City.

They literally have one less point this season compared to where they were last season, they are still due to have key players back and are notorious for going on a good run in the second half of the season.

A lot is being made out of nothing here.

I agree that the media and fans are running away a bit with the “city are done” sort of talk, but you can’t deny that they have looked very bad at times this season. Yes, they are missing DeBruyne, but that’s the only major player missing, otherwise they have had a relatively fit squad. Phillips doesn’t deserved mentioned, because Pep would quit literally play his grandmother at CM over him. Nunes has looked poor whenever he has played this season, but obviously deserves time to catch up at this level. Kovacic has been crap though, he has really struggled to affirm any sort of control in that midfield. When Pep is playing a teenage RB in midfield over you, then you know you’re fucked. 

Losing Gundogan and Mahrez in the summer was a major hammer blow. They just haven’t replaced them whatsoever, not only the quality but their knack of dragging the team across the line when they aren’t at their best in games. Doku has potential, but has he really been THAT good? Looked very raw against us, didn’t really do anything with his speed against Trent. I’d still pick Grealish over him everytime. 

There is definitely a hangover from last season. They don’t look as motivated as they have in previous years. They haven’t exactly looked dominant against anybody this season, and the Villa game showed especially that they can be kept quiet completely, which has never really been the case under Pep. Maybe they’ll turn it on again once DeBruyne is back, but I’ve got a feeling that Pep is going to rush him back to the team again, especially if they go into Jan 6/7 points behind the leaders. 

• Subscriber
18 minutes ago, MUFC said:

The curse of going for 4 titles on the bounce.

We were similar to this the first time we went for 4 on the bounce. We were really terrible at times.

You might have put the Jinx on that now and they will go and win 4 on the trot, @Happy Blue would cream his pants xD

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rick said:

I agree that the media and fans are running away a bit with the “city are done” sort of talk, but you can’t deny that they have looked very bad at times this season. Yes, they are missing DeBruyne, but that’s the only major player missing, otherwise they have had a relatively fit squad. Phillips doesn’t deserved mentioned, because Pep would quit literally play his grandmother at CM over him. Nunes has looked poor whenever he has played this season, but obviously deserves time to catch up at this level. Kovacic has been crap though, he has really struggled to affirm any sort of control in that midfield. When Pep is playing a teenage RB in midfield over you, then you know you’re fucked. 

Losing Gundogan and Mahrez in the summer was a major hammer blow. They just haven’t replaced them whatsoever, not only the quality but their knack of dragging the team across the line when they aren’t at their best in games. Doku has potential, but has he really been THAT good? Looked very raw against us, didn’t really do anything with his speed against Trent. I’d still pick Grealish over him everytime. 

There is definitely a hangover from last season. They don’t look as motivated as they have in previous years. They haven’t exactly looked dominant against anybody this season, and the Villa game showed especially that they can be kept quiet completely, which has never really been the case under Pep. Maybe they’ll turn it on again once DeBruyne is back, but I’ve got a feeling that Pep is going to rush him back to the team again, especially if they go into Jan 6/7 points behind the leaders. 

Yeah I’m not arguing against the idea that they’ve not looked as assertive as in previous seasons. Personally I believe the reason they don’t dominate teams domestically in the way they used to is because they don’t have David Silva anymore. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that since he left, they’ve not looked like that 100+ point type of team.

What I would say this season is that they started most of it without Grealish, Stones and De Bruyne which is like removing Salah, Trent and Van Dijk from your team and wondering why your standards aren’t so high. Then what you have is a period where players slowly start to come back but you’re not going to get back to those levels straight away. The game against Villa was a bit of an anomaly too as their first eleven was so depleted.

I like Doku but he was never really meant to start this many games so soon. I think the biggest issue is no Gundogan and I think it’s a bit simplistic to assume that they replace him through Nunes or whoever it is they bring in. Ultimately Gundogan was a threat because of his mentality, not his position. I imagine at this point Pep has turned to Foden, Grealish and Haaland and said someone needs to step up and provide those crunch moments. We’ll have to wait and see who ends up doing that, but I don’t think the replacement for Gundogan is from the transfer market. I think the way Pep has brought players in, Kovacic and Nunes especially, theyre there to be creative more than they are match winners.

One thing I definitely agree with you on is no one knows how this will turn out, I do think City have the capability to turn it on and walk the league but with that said, this season has to be the hardest season for them do that being post-treble, high turnover of squad, bigger inclusion of youth players, injuries to key players and a significant change in playing style.

2023 what a year, first team ever to win 5 trophies in a year, Foden has more winners medals than Arsenal football club :4_joy: Champions of England, Europe and all the world, football has been completed. the only thing left to do is beat uniteds & Liverpool's trophy haul

Premier League Champions (3 years running) Fa CupEuropean Cup, European Super Cup, Club World Cup :congrats:

qNmBB2g.jpg

ukLt8CW.jpg

iEaLbtp.jpg

u8D3CnX.jpg

1 hour ago, Happy Blue said:

2023 what a year, first team ever to win 5 trophies in a year, Foden has more winners medals than Arsenal football club :4_joy: Champions of England, Europe and all the world, football has been completed. the only thing left to do is beat uniteds & Liverpool's trophy haul

Premier League Champions (3 years running) Fa CupEuropean Cup, European Super Cup, Club World Cup :congrats:

qNmBB2g.jpg

ukLt8CW.jpg

iEaLbtp.jpg

u8D3CnX.jpg

Errrrr 

Houllier's Reds in 2001 🙃

11 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

League cup, UEFA Cup, FA Cup, what was the other 2?:35_thinking:  ..i'll rephrase it, first team to win 5 major trophies in a 7mth period :ph34r::4_joy:  

You just said trophies, didn't specify what they had to bexD the other two were Super Cup and Charity Shield. I don't count the Charity Shield but I'm counting it for the purpose of this argument xD