talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

(Round of 16) - Wales 0-4 Denmark - Saturday 26th June, 2021

football forum

• Administrator

255px-Flag_of_Wales_(1959%E2%80%93presen       VS      1200px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png

Kick-off 17.00 (BST)

Venue - Johan Cruyff Arena, Amsterdam

c5d309def358b4693583802af8b2989c.jpg

Winner plays Netherlands or Czech Republic in the next round

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest, unless you are die hard Welsh, I think most of us want to see the Danes progress for obvious reasons.

It's a shame it's not in Copenhagen but that said, the Danes should be backed by a fair amount of support so hopefully they can recreate that atmosphere in Amsterdam.

They actually look quite a threat too. The way their side of the draw has panned out too, you wouldn't back against them potentially going semi's. It's extremely open.

This should be another close match-up. The Danes really impressed against the Russians and they were much the better side against Finland, despite losing that match. Wales were deserved winners against the Turks and the Welsh battled hard against the Swiss to earn a draw. The Danes look the better all round side to me and for that reason, I think they might nick this match, but it will no doubt be a very tough game for both sides. I have to stress once more, that the Danes played all their group matches at home in Copenhagen, the Welsh didn't have the luxury of playing their group games at home, they had to travel to places like Baku! So I think this will be close, with Denmark probably just edging this encounter.

• Subscriber

I think the bookies have been harsh on Wales here, and I'm tempted to back them. I think there's less in this than people think. Wales are just a really well drilled unit with a couple of genuinely brilliant game changers. I thought they'd totally flunk this tournament but they've turned up again, and haven't turned in a bad performance yet really. 

These are two well organised sides who play some excellent football at times. But when I look at the sides, I see Wales with 5 players in their starting 11 who play at Championship level, while the Danish team has players playing for teams like Dortmund, Chelsea, Barcelona, AC Milan, Tottenham etc... all the players in the Danish team play in the top leagues and they are mostly key players for their respective club sides. I think their depth in quality is what will probably tip the balance in this match.

Having said that, I am a big fan of Bale, James, Ramsey and even Kiefer Moore. I am sure Moore will be snapped up by a bigger side this summer, he has played well for the Welsh so far. These players will really need to play at their best, if Wales have any chance of progressing. It would be great to see Wales advance, but my gut feeling tells me that Denmark will probably have too much for them.

• Subscriber

Wales could still get something here but honestly it seems like Denmark will be scoring again very soon if they keep this up. They really should have ended the half with two goals not one.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived