• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd Agree £75m Fee For Lukaku

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Don't be obtuse. He's jumped straight to the top of your wage structure and he's likely to only be a bit part player.

Like I've said I agree that he shouldn't be the top paid player when it comes to playing time. You might argue that he's worth the extra money for the profile he will bring with him but I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. 

The fact that people are writing it off as a 'stupid' transfer though is hilarious. Nobody can guarantee he'll be a bit part player just because Mourinho didn't fancy him last season. I'm not saying he'll be starting every game either, he shouldn't be unless he can recapture something close to his best form, but I think people are seriously underestimating how good he could potentially be for us next season.

Clearly, it's a gamble, but he's only 31 and this is the most motivated Wayne Rooney you'll see since a good few years ago. In likelihood, he'll be a rotated squad player who has some match winning moments, there's a chance he'll be even better and yes, there's a chance he won't get his form back enough to play that many games but people are talking about it as if that's a foregone conclusion when it really isn't at all. If that does transpire he's only got a two year contract so it's not the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Like I've said I agree that he shouldn't be the top paid player when it comes to playing time. You might argue that he's worth the extra money for the profile he will bring with him but I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. 

The fact that people are writing it off as a 'stupid' transfer though is hilarious. Nobody can guarantee he'll be a bit part player just because Mourinho didn't fancy him last season. I'm not saying he'll be starting every game either, he shouldn't be unless he can recapture something close to his best form, but I think people are seriously underestimating how good he could potentially be for us next season.

Clearly, it's a gamble, but he's only 31 and this is the most motivated Wayne Rooney you'll see since a good few years ago. In likelihood, he'll be a rotated squad player who has some match winning moments, there's a chance he'll be even better and yes, there's a chance he won't get his form back enough to play that many games but people are talking about it as if that's a foregone conclusion when it really isn't at all. If that does transpire he's only got a two year contract so it's not the end of the world.

How is Lukaku against teams that sit back? 

• Subscriber
Just now, Cicero said:

How is Lukaku against teams that sit back? 

Well he's better against teams when he can use his pace on the counter, but he also scored most of his goals last season against sides below us in the table at Goodison, who tended to play quite conservatively. He does have that ability to create something out of nothing but then he has games where he's anonymous because he gets poor service which isn't his fault, but on those days he needs to do more to make chances for himself if he's to become good enough to justify this sort of money. 

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

Don't be obtuse. He's jumped straight to the top of your wage structure and he's likely to only be a bit part player.

Sorry to quote you twice but you did get me thinking of the actual cost of Rooney's transfer.

At what has been reported as £150,000 a week on a two year contract (approximately 100 weeks), £150,000 x 100 = a total cost of £15,000,000 which is peanuts if we're being honest in this market.

Will stop going off topic as Mr. Rooney has his own thread elsewhere.

• Subscriber
Just now, Cannabis said:

It's not really as it we're paying it either. We wanted £100,000,000 for Romelu Lukaku but settled for £90,000,000. It's not as though we've had to dig deep to get Rooney here, he's effectively come to us on a free/ 

That's what I mean, no transfer fee and £15m in wages over two years. It's the same cost as if we paid £10m for him and paid him £50k a week.

All confirmed then. 

Had some great moments watching him play. Wolfsburg and Young Boys away in the Europa League, that goal against City last season, Boro QF, debut goal against West Ham, two against Liverpool, destroying Arsenal, Chelsea QF. Could go on. Fantastic player and our best striker in the PL era. 

22 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

It's not really as it we're paying it either. We wanted £100,000,000 for Romelu Lukaku but settled for £90,000,000. It's not as though we've had to dig deep to get Rooney here, he's effectively come to us on a free/ 

What? Of course you're paying for it. If not you, who is?

You settled for £75m plus add-ons, so no guarantee you'll get the full £90m. I'm willing to bet you compromised on price here to get United to waive the transfer fee for Rooney as well.

19 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

That's what I mean, no transfer fee and £15m in wages over two years. It's the same cost as if we paid £10m for him and paid him £50k a week.

Sure, it's not costing you an absolute fortune, but the question is whether you could've got a better player for that money, and I think you easily could. Maybe not an established player unless you looked to a minor league, but definitely someone with some potential.

Just now, Cannabis said:

It's quite a simple formula to work out. We've gained £75,000,000 and received a player for £15,000,000, this means that we haven't had to spend anything to get Rooney as it comes off the transfer fee of Lukaku. The add ons obviously aren't guaranteed by definition but they are obviously going to be realistic or we wouldn't have signed the deal. 

Chelsea wanted Romelu too so it wasn't as if we had to snap United's hand off, we've signed the deal that made the best sense for us.

Well by that logic, I don't actually pay for anything because all my money comes from my employer. I'm sorry mate but that's nonsense.

It's more likely that some add-ons are realistic and some are unlikely. For example one could be contingent on him scoring 20 league goals and another on him scoring 30+ or United winning the League/Champions League. When we sold Benteke, Palace wanted to have an add-on contingent on Benteke scoring a certain number of goals and them reaching the Champions League! We shot that particular one down, but that's how these things work.

Strange that there wasn't much of a bidding war for Lukaku though, isn't it? United announced they'd agreed a fee and the deal was done a few days later. Pretty obvious to me that Rooney's move in the other direction had something to do with that.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

What? Of course you're paying for it. If not you, who is?

You settled for £75m plus add-ons, so no guarantee you'll get the full £90m. I'm willing to bet you compromised on price here to get United to waive the transfer fee for Rooney as well.

Sure, it's not costing you an absolute fortune, but the question is whether you could've got a better player for that money, and I think you easily could. Maybe not an established player unless you looked to a minor league, but definitely someone with some potential.

You'll be looking a long time if you want to find a player better than Rooney whose transfer fee and wages for the next two years come to less than £15m unless we're going with this rhetoric that Rooney is finished beyond all doubt at the top level. Maybe he will be shite but even if he is it's low cost and low risk. Not worried about it at all.

I have a good feeling about this transfer for man utd, Im guessing he will click well for them. Mourinho likes to sit back against most of the good teams and hit them on the counter and lukaku can provide tremendous pace which Ibrahimovich couldnt. The transfer fee is very high like many said but no one cares about the money anymore, especially the big clubs.

• Subscriber

It's going to become fashionable for Everton and Chelsea fans to point out Lukaku's flaws at every turn now but a few missed touches in a friendly doesn't mean anything. If you were arsed you could make a similar montage of almost any player in any match looking shit by compiling every miss or poor first touch.

18 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's going to become fashionable for Everton and Chelsea fans to point out Lukaku's flaws at every turn now but a few missed touches in a friendly doesn't mean anything. If you were arsed you could make a similar montage of almost any player in any match looking shit by compiling every miss or poor first touch.

Yeah... it's a fucking friendly early in the pre-season. He's going to be a bit rusty and these matches are to find fitness and build up form.

The only player I don't think you could make a montage of poor touches out of to make them look shit is Zidane, because he had the best first touch I've ever seen - like a fucking artist. And I'm sure even then, we could still fucking make a YouTube video making him look like a totally wank player.

Archived