talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Off Topic

football forum

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, Danny said:

I can’t remember who said it but someone on TikTok made a video about how you can literally turn your oven into an air fryer 

So, how do you make your convection oven cook like an air fryer? Simple. Turn the knob or button that controls the oven fan "on". Then, just cook as you normally would if you were going to use an air fryer.23 Aug 2020

12 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

So, how do you make your convection oven cook like an air fryer? Simple. Turn the knob or button that controls the oven fan "on". Then, just cook as you normally would if you were going to use an air fryer.23 Aug 2020

There’s slightly more to it I believe 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Spike said:

I need the Ashes to be back on. Without the distraction my mood is quite grim.

Two more days.

I've often found YouTube to be a good option to look back at iconic moments or classic matches. Obviously can't fill the whole day but can help pass the time occasionally... 

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

Two more days.

I've often found YouTube to be a good option to look back at iconic moments or classic matches. Obviously can't fill the whole day but can help pass the time occasionally... 

Tried to watch a doco on the 2005 series but it was insulting. There is no need to refer to us as convicts every few minutes. I really hate it when people say it.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Spike said:

Tried to watch a doco on the 2005 series but it was insulting. There is no need to refer to us as convicts every few minutes. I really hate it when people say it.

I found out growing up in Aussie land @Spike when the Aussie's kept calling us Pommy bastards, just reply "At least us English did not originate from convicts" :P

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Waylander said:

I lived down under for a couple of years and it was Whinging Pom rather than Pommy Bastard.

It didn't bother me really be called a Pom, when I worked in the Victorian railways as a shunter they called me Pommy as a nick-name and I got used to it and when I joined the army I had a right Australian accent so I got the nick-name there as Aussie, and that name has stuck ever since. 

• Haha 1

Convict is an insult, pom isn't. Pommy bastard and whinging pom are insults but there are no  documentaries that exclusively refer to the English are pommy bastards. If an English person is insulted by 'pom' they've got it all twisted, it's just a nickname like Kiwi or Yanky

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Spike said:

If an English person is insulted by 'pom' they've got it all twisted, it's just a nickname like Kiwi or Yanky

Just the same as calling a Scotsman a Jock, the old saying goes down well ' Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.'  xD

The word Pom or Pome comes from the meaning as a slang word Prisoner Of Mother England, or English people have rosy cheeks like a Pomegranate.

As I mentioned in my other post I was called Pome as a nickname when I worked in the Victorian Railways and in the army Aussie, because I had an Australian accent, or even Kangaroo Balls was another name they called me.

16 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Just the same as calling a Scotsman a Jock, the old saying goes down well ' Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.'  xD

The word Pom or Pome comes from the meaning as a slang word Prisoner Of Mother England, or English people have rosy cheeks like a Pomegranate.

As I mentioned in my other post I was called Pome as a nickname when I worked in the Victorian Railways and in the army Aussie, because I had an Australian accent, or even Kangaroo Balls was another name they called me.

Pomegranate also sort of rhymes with immigrant. It's easy to forget that the older generations of Australians also used rhyming slang, it isn't something exclusive to London or parts of England. My grandfather like to use it, as well has make up names for everyday items. A car's accelerator became the 'agitator', so he'd say nonsense like 'pop her into gear, hit the agitator and head down the frog'.

• Upvote 1

But there is a difference between you lot saying it and what is meant to be a professionally made documentary. It's ridiculous and insulting, 2 hours of 'convict this, convict that' and kissing the arse of a South African mercenary that threw a tantrum and switched to play for England.

Then all the mouthbreathers in the USA, 'duuur you guys are all descended from convicts right?'. It got old fast.