talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Dean Smith Sacked By Aston Villa

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laziest title ever. 

Expected really, with the investment he’s had and the players available, to lose five on the bounce is not on. I just hope they don’t go with Nuno or somebody negative. If I were Villa I would bring in either Julian Favre or Steve Bruce. 

Wasn't Fonseca being linked with it? He'd be good.

Can we make it a banning offence to suggest Steve Bruce as a manager in the Premier League again? There's having an opinion and there's being wrong.

I know Smith has a deep personal connection with Villa and he did a very good job in the three years he was there (got them up, survived, stabilized), I know losing Grealish has been shit but if I'm thinking purely without emotion then yeah, it doesn't seem like he can really improve it and has hit a ceiling. The first half against Southampton was....alarming. 

Fonseca would be good.

• The title was changed to Dean Smith Sacked By Aston Villa

I think it’s a crap, knee-jerk decision to sack him and think he deserved more time given what he’s done there since taking over. How many points are Villa realistically expected to take from Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Wolves and Southampton, anyway? Are Villa really expected to be much higher  than 15th?

That’s football I suppose but it’s really shit sometimes. 

If I was Norwich, I’d get him on the phone straight away. If not, a Championship side will get themselves a very good manager for that level. 

It feels like a sad, but necessary day.

2 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I think it’s a crap, knee-jerk decision to sack him and think he deserved more time given what he’s done there since taking over. How many points are Villa realistically expected to take from Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham, Wolves and Southampton, anyway? Are Villa really expected to be much higher  than 15th?

That’s football I suppose but it’s really shit sometimes. 

If I was Norwich, I’d get him on the phone straight away. If not, a Championship side will get themselves a very good manager for that level. 

Well, I was thinking myself Dean Smith having until the end of November to turn things around made sense. And perhaps seemed fair taking every aspect into account.

It was a difficult patch of games, with an injury list. But they have been backed better than most sides down the bottom half.

The highlight moments of the last 2 seasons added to wins vs Everton & Man United right before this 5 in a row, rather heightened expectations. 

The defeats to Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal & West Ham were progressively worse. To a core of people, they are/were the next targets. Nothing more. And they stung badly. And Dean Smith himself has played a part in regaining improved expectation levels.

1 hour ago, Reluctant Striker said:

It feels like a sad, but necessary day.

Well, I was thinking myself Dean Smith having until the end of November to turn things around made sense. And perhaps seemed fair taking every aspect into account.

It was a difficult patch of games, with an injury list. But they have been backed better than most sides down the bottom half.

The highlight moments of the last 2 seasons added to wins vs Everton & Man United right before this 5 in a row, rather heightened expectations. 

The defeats to Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal & West Ham were progressively worse. To a core of people, they are/were the next targets. Nothing more. And they stung badly. And Dean Smith himself has played a part in regaining improved expectation levels.

So, eleven games or fewer is now deemed enough time of a settling period for new players? Is the answer to unsettled players who themselves have suffered injuries whilst at their new club, to unsettle them further by appointing a new manager?

On 07/11/2021 at 18:09, Smiley Culture said:

So, eleven games or fewer is now deemed enough time of a settling period for new players? Is the answer to unsettled players who themselves have suffered injuries whilst at their new club, to unsettle them further by appointing a new manager?

It’s not just 5 on the spin, it’s the results since Christmas we’ve massively tailed off, abandoned our press and he’s started playing favourites and not utilising some players. The frustration at board level was that in the summer we had failed latter half of last season and he’s paying the cost for that now.

I like Smith he’s done a great job but it was beginning to sour so I understand why they’ve acted. 

target is top 10 finish btw

Gerrard will be the new manager, Purslow is a bit of a fan boy that loves him from Liverpool days. Personally my preference would have been Potter

On 07/11/2021 at 18:09, Smiley Culture said:

There is a whole sympathetic narrative within what my take was that you seem to have totally disregarded.

But FiB puts it as well as I could, on why I'm just sad rather than up in arms about it.

31 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

It’s not just 5 on the spin, it’s the results since Christmas we’ve massively tailed off, abandoned our press and he’s started playing favourites and not utilising some players. The frustration at board level was that in the summer we had failed latter half of last season and he’s paying the cost for that now.

I like Smith he’s done a great job but it was beginning to sour so I understand why they’ve acted. 

target is top 10 finish btw

Gerrard will be the new manager, Purslow is a bit of a fan boy that loves him from Liverpool days. Personally my preference would have been Potter

The investments, since return to the Premier League, haven't been to look every bit a bottom 6 side approaching mid point of season 3.

If there are issues around some players standards, and I do doubt a few defenders & lack of midfielders, that is partly on Smith. I have a feeling he has had very influential input on signings.

And the next manager, quite possibly a Gerrard, Lampard or Terry. I think the ex Chelsea players may be more likely. Gerrard is safe in Liverpool's potential future while he's at Rangers. Moving to Villa puts that massively on the line. Fonseca has been mentioned a few times. I wouldn't be surprised by Nuno tbh. I've just found out Potter is a Villa fan, but I can't see walking out on Brighton right now.

I was worried after Spurs appointed Conte that a side with Aston Villa's ambition would be able to attract a manager of Lucien Favre's calibre and we would fall slightly further down the food chain.

Thankfully they've seen the success of Patrick Vieira and opted to go down a similar route of appointing a Premier League legend who is slightly less talented and respected as both a coach and a footballer.

If I was Stevie Gerrard I'd be looking to keep my powder dry and stay at Rangers. Whilst the Premier League is the next logical step for him a more settled team would be of benefit. His reputation isn't going to disintegrate at Rangers any time soon. If Nuno didn't take the Spurs job you'd have skinny Geordies growing beards wearing Portugesse flags being excited for the future right now.

Would avoid Villa if I was Gerrard. He’s won a second league title at Rangers this season, has a third season of Europa League football under their belt and a favourable path in the Champions League next season and is likely to build a small collection of domestic cup trophies over the next 12-24 months. 

2 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Would avoid Villa if I was Gerrard. He’s won a second league title at Rangers this season, has a third season of Europa League football under their belt and a favourable path in the Champions League next season and is likely to build a small collection of domestic cup trophies over the next 12-24 months. 

Not only that, but I think at Villa the pressure and expectation is pretty high - maybe a bit higher than it should realistically be. Don't get me wrong, I think Villa are right to be ambitious - they're absolutely loaded and they are a genuinely big club. I just think expectation was a bit high this season considering their team was built around the star man they sold.

I think they'll survive relegation, but I think the expectation should be they do so comfortably... and I'm not sure it'll be all that comfortable. It'll be a different experience from being at one of the biggest clubs in a league and getting regular experience in European football.

The counterpoint to that is: Villa probably pay an absolute fortune compared to Rangers - and money is always appealing -  and they're a big club with good support that has the ambition to spend their fortune to develop the squad - it's an opportunity to "wake a sleeping giant" & for someone competitive and ambitious... that's probably quite appealing.

Gerrard's ultimate goal is the Liverpool job and he's going to have to make a serious impact in the Premier League if he's to get that, unless he's taking over at a low point which seems unlikely over the next few years. As impressive as he has been at Rangers so far, he's going to have to go and show he can manage big expectations at a club in the Premier League as well.

Whether this is the right one, who knows, but football managers will back themselves. Personally think he could wait and get a bit more experience in Europe under his belt with Rangers. He may see this as an opportunity he can't pass up though in terms of the size of the Premier League club.

• The topic was locked

Archived