talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Favourite Commentators

football forum

• Administrator

Who are yours? 

Not pundits, but the main (or only) commentators you like to listen to when watching a match. 

Peter Drury is up there and everything he says here is so true. 

I also like Tim Capel who does a lot of the German games, a very unique voice, too. 

Ray Hudson for is unique metaphorical analysis especially watching Messi. 

And Peter Brackley was a joy to listen to as well. Sadly passed away a few years ago :(

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil Bonny, Dan O'Hagan, Gary Preston, and Kevin Hatchard are all on the US coverage of the Bundesliga and they are very good.

I like Derek Rae's articles but I generally don't like his match coverage because the way he pronounces "Bayern" irritates the fuck out of me.

3 minutes ago, Coma said:

Phil Bonny, Dan O'Hagan, Gary Preston, and Kevin Hatchard are all on the US coverage of the Bundesliga and they are very good.

I like Derek Rae's articles but I generally don't like his match coverage because the way he pronounces "Bayern" irritates the fuck out of me.

Now you have my curiosity?

5 minutes ago, Coma said:

I dunno who I end up getting when I watch ESPN coverage of the Bundesliga... but there's always one guy I seem to always come across and he's about as bland as a plain sheet of paper. Honestly, all ESPN coverage bar MLS/World Cup seems to just have really really shit commentary (and with the World Cup coverage, it depends on which commentary team they're using). Not just with football, imo, pretty much all of ESPN's commetaters in most sports seem to be more crap than other broadcasters.

But maybe I'm just not watching the right Bundesliga matches xD

3 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Now you have my curiosity?

2:23.  "You never know with BAAAAYEREEEENNNNN."  Just fucking stop.  It's obviously a pet peeve.  Others will probably find it normal wonder wtf is wrong with me.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Peter Drury's the best.

I'd actually say Ray Hudson's one of the commentators I like the least xD - he's annoying as fuck

Can't fucking stand Hudson.  Was so glad when BEin lost the La Liga rights and he got canned.  Mofo is commentating for Inter Miami now.  He's found his level.

Just now, Coma said:

Can't fucking stand Hudson.  Was so glad when BEin lost the La Liga rights and he got canned.  Mofo is commentating for Inter Miami now.  He's found his level.

If I never have to hear him say "majesterial" ever again, I'll be pretty pleased 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

If I never have to hear him say "majesterial" ever again, I'll be pretty pleased 

Same.  I'd intentionally not watch Madrid/Barca matches because he'd always have the coverage of those games.  Similarly, Derek Rae always gets the coverage of Bayern so I skip those.

17 minutes ago, Coma said:

2:23.  "You never know with BAAAAYEREEEENNNNN."  Just fucking stop.  It's obviously a pet peeve.  Others will probably find it normal wonder wtf is wrong with me.

Thanks! The pronounciation of their name's end was actually  quite good, Only the stretching of the Bay part gave away he's no native speaker.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I miss John Motson's commentary, tbh. The man was a legend for a reason, brilliant commentator.

He is iconic but got boring towards the end of his career. 

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Thanks! The pronounciation of their name's end was actually  quite good, Only the stretching of the Bay part gave away he's nop native speaker.

So it's just me then xD

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

Not that I have alot of choice over here but Rafael Honigstein is pretty good. I want to say he was an ESPN correspondant for years until he moved to The Athletic to cover their bundesliga section a few years back. 

He does a lot of stuff for BT Sport here in UK. Along with James Horncastle, Julien Laurens and the amazing James Richardson. 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

That one bloke who commentated all the classicos during the Ronaldo vs Messi era and always had an orgasm when ever Messi or Ronaldo did anything. 

Ray Hudson. 

• Subscriber
21 minutes ago, Stan said:

He does a lot of stuff for BT Sport here in UK. Along with James Horncastle, Julien Laurens and the amazing James Richardson. 

Ray Hudson. 

For local stuff that reminds me of an old show; god im probably going back 10 years or so since its been cancelled but it was called "The Footy Show" with James Sharman and Kristian Jack. I think Sharman was a Villa fan and KJ was a Liverpool fan but they did a 30 min show once a week and just sorta talked off the cuff about all the leagues and teams and news. I mention this because I know you watch some MLS and KJ went on to cover MLS for TSN... he was let go earlier in the year durring the mass firings but I figured you might remember him, he was really good. Sharman does a podcast with Craig Forest and Danny Dichio (I dont really care for those two) but he was our local radio guest covering the Euro's this last year though which was good to hear. 

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Viva la FCB said:

For local stuff that reminds me of an old show; god im probably going back 10 years or so since its been cancelled but it was called "The Footy Show" with James Sharman and Kristian Jack. I think Sharman was a Villa fan and KJ was a Liverpool fan but they did a 30 min show once a week and just sorta talked off the cuff about all the leagues and teams and news. I mention this because I know you watch some MLS and KJ went on to cover MLS for TSN... he was let go earlier in the year durring the mass firings but I figured you might remember him, he was really good. Sharman does a podcast with Craig Forest and Danny Dichio (I dont really care for those two) but he was our local radio guest covering the Euro's this last year though which was good to hear. 

The name rings a bell but I'll be honest, I had no idea who I was listening to when watching MLS xD

It was sporadic and the voices never seemed the same xD

• Subscriber

John Murray is one of my favourites. Does a lot of the games on 5 Live when I'm in the car or when I can't watch on the TV and in my opinion is one of the best at painting the picture through words and emotion.

55 minutes ago, Ploughendplonker said:

Quite like the Jon Champion/Ally McCoist combination. I do miss Barry Davies commentating. Too many commentators, pundits, and presenters try to be the star of the show nowadays, thinking people are there to listen to their inanity rather than watch football. 

I liked Jon Champion as well.  He teamed up with Taylor Twellman to cover USMNT matches and some high profile MLS games for awhile.  Hated Twellman though.  

As far as ex-player co-commentators go, Ally McCoist is the only one who sounds like he enjoys football and therefore he is immediately the best in the UK. 

The worst part of football in the UK is having to listen to sour-faced gits like Martin Keown complain about how poor the defending is every time anything remotely interesting happens. 

On 02/12/2021 at 11:11, Ploughendplonker said:

Quite like the Jon Champion/Ally McCoist combination. I do miss Barry Davies commentating. Too many commentators, pundits, and presenters try to be the star of the show nowadays, thinking people are there to listen to their inanity rather than watch football. 

Whenever Jon Champion and Ally McCoist do a game together, I find that as a neutral, their style makes you engaged in it regardless of the quality of the game. I've been really impressed with their Amazon coverage for example.

I'd also agree on Barry Davies, he was outstanding for me, best BBC commentator I'd say. Made it sound so effortless. Motson always got the attention but Davies was the underrated star.

Brian Moore was class too. Absolutely iconic. Especially when he commented on Owen's goal against Argentina in '98 and Koeman's goal against England in World Cup qualifying. 

How the likes of Sam Matterface hold down a job now when they bore the pants off everyone is beyond me.

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Whenever Jon Champion and Ally McCoist do a game together, I find that as a neutral, their style makes you engaged in it regardless of the quality of the game. I've been really impressed with their Amazon coverage for example.

I'd also agree on Barry Davies, he was outstanding for me, best BBC commentator I'd say. Made it sound so effortless. Motson always got the attention but Davies was the underrated star.

Brian Moore was class too. Absolutely iconic. Especially when he commented on Owen's goal against Argentina in '98 and Koeman's goal against England in World Cup qualifying. 

How the likes of Sam Matterface hold down a job now when they bore the pants off everyone is beyond me.

Loved Brian Moore as presenter of Big Match Revisited. I don't eulogise the past much but football coverage in the 70s was far better than today (in terms of quality). 

On 01/12/2021 at 12:26, Coma said:

I hate Sebastian Salazar, obnoxious cunt

• Subscriber

Carra has really grown on me in recent months, he’s finally out of GNev’s shadow, for me. 

Got so so tediously boring listening to the United pundits bias with Ole. Loved Carra’s and Keane’s argument before Ole got sacked. 

Gary’s YouTube channel is the best thing he does, the overlap. 

Archived