talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Russia and Ukraine

football forum

I wonder if shut up likes to argue with everyone in real life or just on a forum. I can never understand people who like to argue all the time. I hate arguing 

Just now, ...Dan said:

This paralympics decision to not allow Russian athletes to compete because "athletes from other countries could refuse to compete against Russians" seems wrong to me. I understand kicking Russia's clubs and national teams out of international competitions because it's going to bring money to Russia, but these athletes, who were going to compete as neutrals, not having the Russian flag or colours, not bringing any money to Russia, aren't the ones attacking Ukraine right now. Should we be on the side of people who judge athletes for the actions of a dictator?

I agree with this.

Other countries in other sports have gotten banned for refusing to play athletes of other countries for political reasons. Banning Russian athletes in international competitions seems weird to me - it's not like the Olympics where they've been caught having a state sponsored doping program (and still allowed to compete, not under Russia's flag... but as Russian athletes). Simply banning all Russians for competing over political reasons is something we're not meant to see in sport.

It's wrong when Iran (for example) refuses to compete against Israeli athletes over politics - and that's why they've received bans for doing that in the past, I think most recently a 5 year ban from competing in international judo tournaments because of a refusal to compete against Israel. And that's also sort of unfair as Iranian athletes don't really have a choice what their dictatorship government says if they get matched against Israeli athletes... and why so many Iranian athletes defect when they get a chance. And it's not like the US ever received a ban after the Iraq invasion... and they have a democracy so you can even make the argument that US athletes are infinitely more culpable for their country's war crimes.

Honestly, the collective economic punishment for Russia really doesn't sit well with me because I know the likely result of heavy sanctions is regular Russians will suffer while the elite will loot what's left of a crumbling economy. I can understand sanctioning football clubs that have ties to the Russian state... but the collective punishment of all Russian athletes for the invasion seems a little uncalled for.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ...Dan said:

This paralympics decision to not allow Russian athletes to compete because "athletes from other countries could refuse to compete against Russians" seems wrong to me. I understand kicking Russia's clubs and national teams out of international competitions because it's going to bring money to Russia, but these athletes, who were going to compete as neutrals, not having the Russian flag or colours, not bringing any money to Russia, aren't the ones attacking Ukraine right now. Should we be on the side of people who judge athletes for the actions of a dictator?

It is tricky i do agree. I think its important to send a message to Russia that they are isolated but I do have sympathy for russian athletes who dont even support putin. I do feel though that if it has any affect it is worth it though. I am very worried about these sanctions causing racism towards russians though. At the same time though people who think like that are probably going to think like that regardless 

2 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

She deactivated her account and came back under the username Any O'Brian.

😂 I heard that twat cannabis has an account on here with a new name 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Does he? Let us know and we'll sort it out.

Yeah I heard his name is larger or beer or something. It's an alcohol name 🤔

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Yeah I heard his name is larger or beer or something. It's an alcohol name 🤔

Can't find any? Can you find out what the actual name is and we'll investigate.

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

Can't find any? Can you find out what the actual name is and we'll investigate.

Gin and tonic..I'm sure his name is gin and tonic 

• Subscriber
42 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

hi stan gunnersawus is spreading lies about cannabis can you stop this please really not a good look for the forum thanks a lot from anonymous 

Hear Ye, Hear Ye, gunnersawus, up yours...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rvi3h63ty4wbb719on

Edited by CaaC (John)
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I am very worried about these sanctions causing racism towards russians though.

I don't think the sanctions will cause that. Rather it's the climate of identity politics and culture wars that will drive that (and are already driving that in some places tbh).

I think it's a bit weird that we can separate people in the West from the actions of their governments - even if they're democracies. We don't assume everyone from the UK believes every word Johnson tells us, we don't assume that everyone who voted for Bush or Blair thinks illegal wars are justifiable even. I think it's strange that so many people are quick to paint all Russians with the same brush that Putin and the kleptocrat oligarchs are painted with and make these big generalisations about a massive nation full of millions of individual people.

And unlike us, these people have barely any say in who's in their government and how it behaves...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Wait til the end xDxD 

Every clip I've ever seen of Indian news makes it look completely unwatchable.

There are always at least 3 heads on the screen at any given time... sometimes way more. And the shouting and arguing is absolutely mental.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Whiskey said:

hi stan gunnersawus is spreading lies about cannabis can you stop this please really not a good look for the forum thanks a lot from anonymous 

I'm just trying to find out who canninis is on here. Can you think of any members with a user name that is an alcoholic drink? 

7 hours ago, ...Dan said:

This is why I'm not in favour of going after any innocent Russians. It isn't right in my opinion but everyone has to make it look like they're joining in somehow. EA removed Russia and Russian teams from FIFA 22. 😂

This is going from being anti-war and anti-Putin to just being anti-Russia in whatever form Russia comes in.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 3