talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man City 2-2 Liverpool - Sunday 10th April, 2022

17 minutes ago, Rick said:

Save for 10 minutes when we scored, we were poor for most the first half. The midfield we’re letting De Bruyne and Silva waltz to the edge of the box, the back four were terrible defensively and their passing was panicked. Every time we had a break, it seemed like a mis placed pass ruined it. The players were frazzled and it was clear they got a rollicking half time to kick them into gear. 

Don't think people are giving enough credit to City or Liverpool for the high levels they set when they talk about Liverpool being 'poor' in all honesty. Not sure any team has pressed Liverpool like City did at times in that first half. Liverpool went toe to toe with an incredible team over the course of the 90 minutes so let's stop using words such as 'poor' 'pathetic' or 'awful'.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Don't think people are giving enough credit to City or Liverpool for the high levels they set when they talk about Liverpool being 'poor' in all honesty. Not sure any team has pressed Liverpool like City did at times in that first half. Liverpool went toe to toe with an incredible team over the course of the 90 minutes so let's stop using words such as 'poor' 'pathetic' or 'awful'.

Both sides are streets ahead of anybody else in the league. Anybody in the right mind can see that. Even the most hardened United fan through gritted teeth can admit to it too 

1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

I just thought our passing was sloppy first half that's my only gripe. Other that yeah, there wasn't much in it between the two. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, LFCMike said:

City are easy to play against. It was poor from Liverpool but a good result 

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

You did rip us a new arse hole on the counter tbf :4_joy:  ..Kane was the best player on the pitch that day!

Haha yeah not sure why other teams don’t exploit it like we seem to be able to do. Shame about the rest of our fixtures haha 

34 minutes ago, Storts said:

Haha yeah not sure why other teams don’t exploit it like we seem to be able to do. Shame about the rest of our fixtures haha 

spurs 3-4-3 is hard to play against even for teams like Liverpool and City.   if you play Liverpool at home you may be the team to play king maker

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, OrangeKhrush said:

spurs 3-4-3 is hard to play against even for teams like Liverpool and City.   if you play Liverpool at home you may be the team to play king maker

Have Liverpool away and our record at Anfield is truly abysmal. We will roll over for them. Comfortable Liverpool victory 

4 minutes ago, Storts said:

Have Liverpool away and our record at Anfield is truly abysmal. We will roll over for them. Comfortable Liverpool victory 

never know really.  Spurs are probably the form side at the moment.  Son and Kane is as good a combo as Mane/Salah, Lewendowski/Sane, all of cities combos and rashford/ronaldo😶

1 hour ago, Storts said:

Just do the same to Liverpool :4_joy: .. they play a high line too so you could do them if your up for it 

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

De Gea makes more error's :4_joy:  ..Ederson is a top keeper and normally has a good game

And herein lies the problem. Ederson fucks up far more on average for what he actually has to do. Can’t actually keep goal but he can ping a 40 yard pass so everyone has a massive wank over him. Just don’t get it. Not even in the same league as Allison.

When is Walker going to get the same kind of critique Trent gets on a regular basis.

Trent gets coughing pushing from a corner and gets slaughtered for being shit defensively.

Walker doesn’t read a pass until it’s too late like a shit defender and the world sleeps.

It’s funny how media and social media narratives really take hold in people. Is free thinking just a myth?

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

When is Walker going to get the same kind of critique Trent gets on a regular basis.

Trent gets coughing pushing from a corner and gets slaughtered for being shit defensively.

Walker doesn’t read a pass until it’s too late like a shit defender and the world sleeps.

It’s funny how media and social media narratives really take hold in people. Is free thinking just a myth?

He’s rapid so it covers his mistakes. Bit like a shitter version of Micah Richards.

• Subscriber
26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm not really on the Trent-critical bandwagon but I also think enough evidence has been pointed out of his defensive weaknesses to not conclude that people just listen to the media (who I really haven't ever seen out to get him by the way).

He also set up a goal yesterday. This is one of those debates where both sides seem to just talk across each other. Pro-Trenters only see his attacking output and forgive him his defensive mistakes. Anti-Trenters point out every defensive mistake and don't acknowledge what he does at the other end "because he's supposed to be a defender".

In a team like Liverpool who attack more than they defend, he gets more opportunities to show off his strengths than he is asked to cover his defensive skills, which aren't elite, but that doesn't mean they're totally shit. The England thing is understandable as they don't play like Liverpool or dominate the opposition and keep them on the back foot like Liverpool do. Liverpool would not swap Alexander-Arnold for Kyle Walker or Reece James but at the same time, one of those two could be the better option for a different type of team, be that England or some other context. Both can be true at the same time (even on the Internet).

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

And herein lies the problem. Ederson fucks up far more on average for what he actually has to do. Can’t actually keep goal but he can ping a 40 yard pass so everyone has a massive wank over him. Just don’t get it. Not even in the same league as Allison.

Well you think Foden is crap too so just think you hate everything City 😋ha

People focus on the TAA defensively thing far too much in general. Liverpool often purposely let teams play into that area because they either back themselves to catch the opposition offside or the centre backs/keeper to sort it out and then it's often the starting point of Liverpool's attack. City did exploit it better than most at times in that first half though to be fair. 

Klopp formulated a system that abuses TAA's natural attacking gift as a footballer. To suggest Southgate should be doing this for England to somehow take advantage of TAAs ability on the ball is so simplistic thinking.

England does not have Liverpool's defence, midfield, and attack which all contribute together to get the most out of TAAs strengths. 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

People focus on the TAA defensively thing far too much in general. Liverpool often purposely let teams play into that area because they either back themselves to catch the opposition offside or the centre backs/keeper to sort it out and then it's often the starting point of Liverpool's attack. City did exploit it better than most at times in that first half though to be fair. 

I think it's fair to bring it up though, especially if it's in comparison to other defenders in the same position. And ultimately he is a defender. A very attacking one, but still in that position. That's not to say he's bad at defending, but just there are other players that are more defensive-minded than him. But to caveat that, TAA is probably the best attacking full-back the PL has seen. The only other one that perhaps comes close is Ashley Cole?

8 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think it's fair to bring it up though, especially if it's in comparison to other defenders in the same position. And ultimately he is a defender. A very attacking one, but still in that position. That's not to say he's bad at defending, but just there are other players that are more defensive-minded than him. But to caveat that, TAA is probably the best attacking full-back the PL has seen. The only other one that perhaps comes close is Ashley Cole?

I don't think it is fair to single him out individually if it's a tactical thing. And it is tactical. As I say, Liverpool catch teams offside with it, although the flag doesn't always go up because of VAR. And if the CBs or the keeper deal with it then Liverpool are quickly on the attack again.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm not really on the Trent-critical bandwagon but I also think enough evidence has been pointed out of his defensive weaknesses to not conclude that people just listen to the media (who I really haven't ever seen out to get him by the way).

He also set up a goal yesterday. This is one of those debates where both sides seem to just talk across each other. Pro-Trenters only see his attacking output and forgive him his defensive mistakes. Anti-Trenters point out every defensive mistake and don't acknowledge what he does at the other end "because he's supposed to be a defender".

In a team like Liverpool who attack more than they defend, he gets more opportunities to show off his strengths than he is asked to cover his defensive skills, which aren't elite, but that doesn't mean they're totally shit. The England thing is understandable as they don't play like Liverpool or dominate the opposition and keep them on the back foot like Liverpool do. Liverpool would not swap Alexander-Arnold for Kyle Walker or Reece James but at the same time, one of those two could be the better option for a different type of team, be that England or some other context. Both can be true at the same time (even on the Internet).

I don’t even want Trent to play regularly for England because chances are he’ll just be coming back to us injured more often than not. And even so, I think with the 3 at the back system it’s a bit weird saying Trent can’t fit into a system at England where he can’t focus more on attacking than defending.

I just think it’s weird how some people are so fixated on every one of his defensive errors, especially in a game like yesterday where the defense was wank in the first half and he’s not even the only defender playing Jesus onside (Matip’s guilty too). Meanwhile Walker literally just not reacting doesn’t really get a mention.

I also think in a match like yesterday defenders are bound to make mistakes considering it’s 2 of the best attacking sides in the country. So honestly being hypercritical of either is weird. I don’t think anyone expected either side to put in a defensive masterclass.

But I do think it’s weird one defender gets their error brought to the forefront of discussion and the other gets it completely disregarded.

Archived