talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Worst Airports in the World

football forum

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the minority where I actually enjoy going to the airport, in fairness more for longhaul flights than short but still enjoy it.

Heathrow and Sydney being up there with my favourites, can't say I've ever been to any in America as an adult so no idea there.

But when I landed in an airport in Brunei close to a decade ago now it felt like a mixture of portacabins and 80s style offices. Landed a few years ago in Doha I think and it was the worst experience I've ever had. Had to transfer flight, pretty sure we stayed on the same plane, had to have our on board luggage scanned again and it was chaos, room was too small for the amount of people in there, multiple flights landing, staff just waiving people through essentially.

Stanstead is a bit of a clusterfuck mind.

I did transit in LAX once and it was horrible, staff ordering people around like marines might and then no refreshments and toilets were in a horrendous state.

I had my two year daughter with me and a small orange coloured ball in my back pack, I got it out and rolled it towards my daughter, She ran towards it and suddenly about twenty other kids jumped into action too.

The US 'marines' got quite upset, 'control your kids' they barked yet there were too many kids and they were not listening.

The best I have been to was Singapore.

3 hours ago, Danny said:

Heathrow

Heathrow and Beijing's airports are pretty shit tbh. A bit better than the worst of the US airports I've been to, but imo utterly horrible experiences personally. I think maybe though I just hate the super massive airports - because I think Gatwick's much better, but it's also a much smaller airport.

But honestly, I think I really just hate all airports. Can't think of a time I've been at an airport and thought "this is great" - mostly I just want to get the fuck out of an airport as soon as possible and either get where I'm going or get home ASAP.

Oh yeah, I was robbed by security at Hong Kong. Pinched a bottle of rum off me on the fucking jetbridge after it cleared customs and inspection. It was even wrapped up in the duty-free packaging still.

• Subscriber

Bloody hell, the last time I used an airport was in Singapore in 1972 when I came back from Australia then landed at Heathrow I think it was then in my army days, Dortmund airport to Northern Ireland (twice) when the Regiment went on a tour of duty in 1974 and landed at Belfast airport.

After that was when I got de-mobbed from the army and came back to the UK and landed at Heathrow with the wife and made our way to Scotland vis train.

I can't really say if they were good or bad then as I can't remember as it was years ago.

31 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Bloody hell, the last time I used an airport was in Singapore in 1972 when I came back from Australia then landed at Heathrow I think it was then in my army days, Dortmund airport to Northern Ireland (twice) when the Regiment went on a tour of duty in 1974 and landed at Belfast airport.

After that was when I got de-mobbed from the army and came back to the UK and landed at Heathrow with the wife and made our way to Scotland vis train.

I can't really say if they were good or bad then as I can't remember as it was years ago.

You’ve not been on a plane since 74?!

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

You’ve not been on a plane since 74?!

Believe it or not I know quite a few people who have never been on a plane at all. 

It does appear weird to people like us. But some people are so narrow minded and uninterested in other countries, that it's normal for them. Others maybe never had the money to travel afar. 

Maybe it's just because I was always travelling solo, but back when I lived abroad I always found going between Edinburgh and Copenhagen airports really nice. They're both reasonably big, with a nice selection of shops and cafes, but also fairly easy to find your way around. 

I enjoyed being able to just sit with a coffee and buy a foreign newspaper and watch the world go by. When you're alone and you can just relax in such a busy place, it's a kind of weird feeling. Like, you're around so many people doing so many different things, completely wrapped up in their own journey. In a nice way, you feel almost invisible.

Though when I was Italy with my girlfriend our experience of Bologna airport was a bit shit. Our flight was late in the evening, and the airport had minimal staffing and almost nothing open after 10pm. It also felt slightly too big for it not being a very major airport, but also somehow lacking sitting space for the fairly limited number of flights that were going out at that time.

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Believe it or not I know quite a few people who have never been on a plane at all. 

Same here, it's just that me and the wife have seen most of the world in our lives years ago, travelling by plane, trains, ferries and myself on an ocean liner that any holidays we do nowadays it would be inside the UK and travel mostly by train as I love train journeys or ferries.

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

Yep, and the wife, been on a lot of trains and ferries since 74, is Essendon airport still in Melbourne?

I am not sure mate. 

37 minutes ago, Tommy said:

It does appear weird to people like us. But some people are so narrow minded and uninterested in other countries, that it's normal for them. Others maybe never had the money to travel afar. 

I guess Europe is so much more easily accessible too. Also, im very fortunate to have had the financial means, desire, and the fact we’re so far away from a lot of the world means I’ve done a few flights haha.

Archived